Should I Attend My Gay Friend's Wedding?

This is the place for mature and civil discussions. Not for the faint of heart or weak in faith.
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
ArcticFox wrote: It's one I generally avoid along with the incredibly Anvilicious Star Trek: The Next Generation episode (The Outcast) where Riker falls for an alien from a race that are all androgynous... but occasionally one pops up with male or female characteristics. When that happens they get reconditioned to being back to neutral. Of course, the speech they gave is practically straight out of a LGBT rhetoric handbook.

Any future story line in either genre that touches on that stuff will almost certainly be an overt celebration of same sex couples as Hollywood continues to try and strengthen it's "progressive" cred. Kinda like the comic book you mentioned.
I had forgotten about that episode. That's a good example, too.

But let's turn these scenarios back to the question at hand. By purchasing these comics, or purchasing these episodes on DVD, aren't you quietly sending the message to Marvel, or Paramount, or whoever, that you support the agendas that they're trying to push? Even if you try to avoid the issues or episodes that promote causes you disapprove of, you're still sending your money to these companies that they can use to donate to political causes, or pay writers to create more of the media you disapprove of.

That's kind of the focus of this Web site, on the video game front. By letting Christians know what certain video games contain, it gives them the knowledge to make their own decisions - namely, "do I want to purchase a game that supports things that compromise my values?"

Understand that I have no problems with boycotts. I tend to have a few personal boycotts myself. There is a short list of celebrities and companies that I won't give money to because of their stance on different issues. (For example, Roman Polanski, for being a child molester and avoiding the law for so many years.)

But back to the matter at hand - what's the difference between refusing to attend a gay friend's wedding and giving money to a company or a celebrity that endorses gay marriage? Or is there a difference? Should both be avoided whenever possible?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Sstavix wrote: But back to the matter at hand - what's the difference between refusing to attend a gay friend's wedding and giving money to a company or a celebrity that endorses gay marriage? Or is there a difference? Should both be avoided whenever possible?
There's a difference. I think you're making the category too broad. I wouldn't support Polanski either, because he is a fugitive from justice. On the other hand, I still watch Star Trek even though Gene Roddenberry was openly hostile to the idea of religion, even claiming that people who believe in God are mentally ill.

Maybe it's a case by case basis, but my broad rule of thumb is that I keep politics out of my business transactions whenever possible because it's just too complex and nuanced to try to establish one overarching rule for everything. You mentioned earlier how friendly Marvel is to the whole LGBT agenda... and yet in the Avengers, Captain America openly professes his belief in God:

"There's only one God, ma'am and I'm pretty sure He doesn't dress like that."
-Captain America

So which rule should be in effect here? Should I boycott the movie because of Marvel's politics, or should I buy it to encourage them to have more cool characters profess to be Believers?

All of this is tangential to the point though. Wherever one draws the line, engaging in a politically and morally neutral business transaction is very different from directly and openly showing support for an event that is in direct conflict with one's beliefs.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Maybe. Are they getting married anyway? Are they in a state where co-habitation constitutes a common law marriage? Does it even matter? A housewarming party celebrates the acquisition of a new home. It is not a celebration of sin nor does it have anything whatsoever to do with what goes on in their bedroom. There's nothing inherently sinful about moving into a house
I think you're dodging the point, whether intentionally or not. A lot of people would argue that you're supporting their fornication or something (my parents, for example) and are throwing in your support for the lifestyle they have chosen. My cousin, for example, has no intention of marrying the man she lives with now. The house warming celebrates the new home ownership, yes... And the start of a life together, unless you read into the word "housewarming" extremely literally and take no social context into consideration.
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
xXDr34dL0rdXx
No i don't think you should it would just be... Eww
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
ChickenSoup wrote: I think you're dodging the point, whether intentionally or not. A lot of people would argue that you're supporting their fornication or something (my parents, for example) and are throwing in your support for the lifestyle they have chosen. My cousin, for example, has no intention of marrying the man she lives with now. The house warming celebrates the new home ownership, yes... And the start of a life together, unless you read into the word "housewarming" extremely literally and take no social context into consideration.
Not dodging it... I just don't see it that same way. I can understand how some do, but it's taking it to an impractical level. They can argue that's what I'm supporting, but it's not like I'd show up with a housewarming gift of a box of condoms or a copy of "The Joy of Sex."

And hey, maybe you have a point and it really might be better not to show up at all, in order to be consistent. I've never been invited to one so I've never had to think about it before.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Fair enough. :)
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
Sstavix
CCGR addict
ArcticFox wrote: All of this is tangential to the point though. Wherever one draws the line, engaging in a politically and morally neutral business transaction is very different from directly and openly showing support for an event that is in direct conflict with one's beliefs.
"Politically and morally neutral?" So it's OK to fund these agendas with your money, but it's not OK to support your friends when they attend these events you're morally opposed to?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Sstavix wrote: "Politically and morally neutral?" So it's OK to fund these agendas with your money, but it's not OK to support your friends when they attend these events you're morally opposed to?
It's buying a comic book. It's a neutral business transaction. If Marvel puts out a book hailing gay marriage I won't buy it because it's directly political on an issue I don't support. If they released an Easter limited edition showing the crucifixion of Jesus in a respectful and accurate way, I'd buy it to encourage that kind of work. If it's just Captain America thumping the Red Skull, then it's not political, just an action story. Buying a comic book like that doesn't signal to the world that I support whatever political beliefs the execs at Marvel may hold. I know some people see it that way, but it's almost impossible to do that and be consistent unless you've got the time to research the political views of every single company that makes the products you buy. It just isn't a feasible option anyway.

Saying I'm somehow supporting their agenda by buying an unrelated comic book would be like saying my boss supports my politics if I use my paycheck to donate to a political cause. Where do you draw the line? If I donate money to a Pro-Life cause and my boss is pro-choice, would he be within his rights to fire me so that the money he pays me doesn't go to supporting a political view he disagrees with?

All of that is entirely different from standing up at a same sex marriage and supporting the event itself as a good and moral thing.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Coals_of_fire
Noob
Noob
lossing my best friend because i would go to his wedding or be his best man. having some understanding God is not there at all even if it is a church. if anything that area would be demon infested. even if you want to support that person you are supporting them in there sin and there by think what they are doing is ok.

Joshua 22: 19A Notwithstanding, if the land of your possession be unclean, then pass ye over unto the land of the possession of the Lord, wherein the Lord's tabernacle dwelleth,

a land can become unclean because of this
we are covered in the blood of the Lamb but participating in the sin event removes the covering of Christ"s blood, and the demons are going to target the christian more so than the non christian because they have them in there hands
TheMightyMcGrew
Noob
Noob
I feel very simple about this. I hava gay friends. What ive told them for me is this, i dont hate pr despise you, but your sin i do. Hate the sin, love the sinner. This question however is a grey area that could use some light. Being their does in a way show that you support what he/she is doing. We dont support sin, we support the righteousness that we are in Christ Jesus. Bring this to your friend and let them know that Jesus died to forgive every sin. All we have to do is call on Him for help and He will come. Alot of gays are spurned by Christians who condemn not knowing that with Christ "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death."
Romans 8:1‭-‬2 KJV

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk