Family lets 5 year old child decide heaven or hospital

This is the place for mature and civil discussions. Not for the faint of heart or weak in faith.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
I don't know, but I hope I'm never in that situation. :(
A vegan atheist walks into a bar. Bartender says "Hey, are you a vegan atheist? Just kidding, you've mentioned it like eight times already."
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Yeah me neither, I wouldn't want any of my kids to be suffering and would try to consider their input in the quality of their life (or lack thereof)
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
I don't think I'd take that approach.

a 5-year-old isn't equipped to make that decision. Period. T's the same reason I find the notion of child "transgenderism" so revolting. Kids that young don't understand things well enough to make choices. Newsflash: This is why we have parents to make our decisions for us until we're old enough to do so ourselves.

It sounds a little like the parents want to let her go but haven't got the courage to make the call themselves, so they're putting it on her. Maybe I missed it but did the article say anything about this child's long-term prognosis? If she's got a chance at a full life, then I see no justification for letting her go in the first place. She hates hospitals? Well welcome to the club. Here's another newsflash: Nobody goes to the hospital for fun. It's a tragedy that she's got this illness and it sucks royally that she has to keep going there, but I don't see that aversion to the hospital as being reason enough to let her die.

I have a feeling there's a lot more to it than what's in the article, so maybe if we knew more I'd feel differently.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens