LFP for Pathfinder (system) homebrew (setting)

For any and all pen and paper RPG discussions and games.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Lore Arcane
Noob
Noob
I'm an experienced GM, been running games for about 30 years now. There is a lot I could say about my GMing style, but I will keep it simple and brief at this early stage. There will definitely be plenty of combat, but I would say that overall I am more of a character/story/RP driven GM, I bring a mindset more focused on that to the table, and that reflects in my games. There will be plenty of in depth stories/plots seeded in a very sand box-esque area. You will never feel the rails beneath you, you will never feel the walls as you extend your arm, but don't make a habit of extending your arms widely just for the sake of doing so please. Suspension of disbelief and immersion are important to me, but so too are table banter, joking around, and having a general good time.

The game setting is a fantasy setting, 'swords and sorcery' flavor, but with a twist. The area the campaign will be taking place in is loosely inspired by a feudal british isles area. Its a 'backwater' world in a sci fi setting myself and my best friend have been writing stuff for, for a while now. backwater worlds are, in some way or another, cut off from the larger galactic civilization (the larger setting is a sci fi setting), the planet you will be on is a world called Galladiir, which is basically just a fantasy world, except there's no magic, instead there's 'lostech'. You can be a spellcasting class if you want, everything will be 'reskinned' to be lost technology based, but mechanically it will function exactly as magic does.
There will be lostech items you find that function mechanically as magic items exactly the same, just flavor/fluff wise, its just ancient lostech instead of magic.
There aren't any non-human races, but there are things to choose from that can sorta play the role of 'subraces'. The world you will be on has no knowledge of the wider galactic civilization, and thinks its the homeworld of humanity. In every way ancient lostech plays the role that magic plays in a medium level magic fantasy setting.
Not eberron level magic everywhere, but around abouts forgotten realms level, everyone's definitely SEEN lostech, lesser instances of it are ubiquitous, but any type of item of real power tends to be at least somewhat rare, expensive, in demand, and takes a lot of expertise to use and maintain.
So its a fantasy setting that's pocketed into a galactic sci fi setting. Its cut off in space in a few ways so no one will ever be able to travel to and from the planet, and people can't leave to go into space for some of the same reasons. Huge capital ships have crashed numerous times on the planet in the ancient past, which has been tthe source of all the people, cultural diversioty, and lostech. So the only way that the larger sci fi galactic civilization aspect of the setting plays a role in this particular campaign, is just by way of context to the whole lostech thing, etc, since that's part of the larger setting. For all intents and purposes, its a d&d/pathfinder type setting, but with all magic 'reskinned' as lostech. Most people still just farm, live in hovels, scratch out a living from the dirt, use animals to accomplish tasks and get places, etc. Its kind of hard to briefly do the concept of the setting justice, its not something that can be succinctly summed up, but let me know if you have any further questions, I'm happy to zoom the explanation in as detailed or out as big picture as you want it if this sort of thing interests you.
The overall feel we're going for is swords and sorcery genre fantasy RPG, so don't let the 'lostech instead of magic' thing throw you off, I assure you the aesthetics and motifs will accomplish the swords and sorcery feel.

If you're interested or have questions message me on discord.
My discord is: Lore Arcane#9262
Lore Arcane
Noob
Noob
Also, since I didn't specify, this game will be a weekly game played on roll20, voice only, and voice chat will likely be done through discord. The intention is a long term campaign, not a one shot or a short shot. Long term.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
Interesting concept.

Have you DMmed on Roll20 before? If not, I'd be happy to offer some tips from my own experience with it.

Game on!
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
Lore Arcane
Noob
Noob
Thanks, yeah I am new to running on roll20 (new to VTT's in general), I would of course much appreciate any help you could offer me. Is this campaign concept potentially something that would interest you as a player, or are you all full up at the moment?
Lore Arcane
Noob
Noob
This is my first campaign that I'm GMing on roll20, but I've been running in person for a long time. I plan to not use too much by way of bells and whistles from roll20, at least at first, until I get totally comfortable and quickly proficient with the basics. Basically I will be using discord for voice chat (and music), and roll20 just for character sheets, maps, tokens, dice rolls, etc. But as far as the basics, I still am not really great with them. I still haven't truly put together the pieces as it were, as far as the technical side of roll20, so I would be quite thankful for the gracious offer of help.

Also, would you be at all interested in playing?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
My advice may be a bit dated, since it's been a few years since I used Roll20, but some tips I can offer are:
  • Keep in mind that you'll need to create your maps digitally and upload them. There's a fog of war feature that allows you to obscure parts of the map that haven't yet been explored, which is very handy.
  • Take the time to choose icons to represent all the NPCs and monsters ahead of time
  • The more geographically spread out the players are (from east to west) the harder it will be to establish a good session time because of time zones. You might have to limit that
  • Be sure you have a good Internet connection and a clear microphone
  • Practice giving clear, easy to follow descriptions of environments and such. You won't be able to use much body language to express ideas or use miniatures. (The maps are 2D)
The rest of my suggestions would be general DM ones, which you're probably fine on.

As for whether I can join... I dunno. I wasn't a fan of 3rd Edition D&D and I never did get into Pathfinder. Not saying a hard "no," just not sure I'd be up to the level of other players.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Lore Arcane
Noob
Noob
well, we have at least 4 new players between the two groups (I got a lot of interest so I ended up decided to run two groups in the same region of the world, where what each group does will effect the world for both groups), and I've never played or run PF before (I have extensive experience with d&d 3.X though) so you wouldn't really be significantly below the average level of familiarity and comfort with the system. maybe we could discuss further?

message me on discord: Lore Arcane#9262
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
I haven't got a Discord account. (Not sure if I will. I'm really picky about my social media these days.) But I'll give it a whirl. Is there any online resource for building Pathfinder characters without having to spring for a rulebook?
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Sstavix
CCGR addict
ArcticFox wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 5:24 pm Is there any online resource for building Pathfinder characters without having to spring for a rulebook?

Here you go, buddy!

Incidentally, Pathfinder has been my favorite of tabletop RPGs that I've played. Unfortunately, my life lately has been too crazy and hectic to participate. But I wish you luck!
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Sstavix wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:49 am
ArcticFox wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 5:24 pm Is there any online resource for building Pathfinder characters without having to spring for a rulebook?

Here you go, buddy!

Incidentally, Pathfinder has been my favorite of tabletop RPGs that I've played. Unfortunately, my life lately has been too crazy and hectic to participate. But I wish you luck!
Thanks man.

Sorry I haven't replied lately. Been ultra slammed with the new job.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens