"Not my problem" said the local gaming store.

For any and all pen and paper RPG discussions and games.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
So last weekend I bought one of those MDF laser cut terrain pieces from one of the local gaming stores... a house with 2 levels that you can take apart so miniatures can move around inside it and such.

One of the parts sheets was the wrong part, and isn't really usable. I mean, I could build the house with these parts, but it wouldn't be as sturdy as it should be and it would be wrong on the inside.

So I went to the manufacturer website to use their Contact Us form to get some help. A week went by, and all I heard back was crickets.

So I took it back to the store yesterday to see what they could do. I didn't really want a refund since I like the model. I was hoping for an exchange but I didn't see any others when I bought this one so I wasn't too hopeful about that. Still, I figured maybe they could order another one for me or something, I dunno. They're the place where I bought it, maybe they'd have a better idea.

Apparently their response to "Hey, I bought this item from you and there's a problem" is to throw their hands up in the air and say "Not my problem."

Wut?

What he literally said was that I needed to contact the manufacturer. I told him I'd done that already, a week ago, and heard nothing back, so here I was. He said there's nothing he could do.

Pausing the story here... That's a load of horsecrap. This is the retail outlet where I purchased the item. I would be well within my rights and reasonable expectations to demand a refund. I didn't want a refund though, all I wanted was some customer service. I repeated that I needed help and he repeated what became his mantra for the entire conversation: "There's nothing I can do." With variations including "I'd help you if I could" and "I don't have any others." I responded to that last one by asking, hypothetically, if that meant I could get an exchange if he had another one like it. At this point be backpedaled and went back to the mantra.

Now, at this point, I'm becoming angry. I've spent a LOT of money at this store over the many years I'd been going there. I've bought things there, knowing I was paying a higher price, just for the sake of supporting the local gaming facilities. Almost every single thing I've ever bought at that store can be had for cheaper online. I felt like I deserved better treatment than this. Frankly, as a customer, I have a right to expect better treatment than this even if I had never been there before.

So I said "look, I'm not trying to be a problem here and I don't mean to be argumentative" at which point he cut me off and said "But you are being argumentative."

30 year old Chris would have told him to go $*#! himself at this point, because I was in the right here, and struggling not to be a jerk. This whole time I'd been maintaining a smile and trying to keep my tone friendly and constructive, when the response was this mantra I was getting. And by the way, at not time did this dude look me in the eye throughout the entire conversation. I'm 43 year old Chris so I'm rather more in control of my temper these days, so I kept my cool.

I said "No offense, but aren't you supposed to support your products that you sell, man?" Again with the mantra. At this point he did offer to contact the manufacturer on my behalf and see if he could get a better response, since he did say at one point that this particular manufacturer was generally very good about being responsive to customers.

Why he couldn't have suggested that off the bat, I don't know, because it is a reasonable thing to do. Like I said, I wasn't after a refund, I just wanted some customer service. So I wrote down all my contact info and the details of the kit and part that was wrong. He promised to send out an E-mail and CC me on it to the manufacturer just as soon as he had a break.

I browsed a bit after that, but as you can imagine my desire to spend another dime at that store was in the toilet at that point. I did seek him out before I left to shake hands and try to smooth things over somewhat, to improve the odds that he'd actually do what he said he'd do. I don't know if he's the kind of guy who would keep his promise even if he'd mad at you, or if he's the kind of guy who would "accidentally" lose that slip of paper.

It was Black Friday yesterday, so I figured it would be a while, and that was okay.

Well I saw no E-mail. So either he didn't send it or he just forgot to CC me.

In a world where online retail is killing local gaming stores, we in the gaming community have an interest in shopping at the brick & mortar stores so that we have a place to meet other gamers, buy things we need right away, attend events, etc. Yes, it costs more to shop in person. There's always sales tax, there's the fuel you spend driving there, and the prices tend to be higher, (especially at this particular place.) but we do it because we're investing in our local community. But is this how it's going to be? No customer service and a "that's not my problem" attitude when they sell you something that isn't right? Can you imagine going to *any* other store with a problem you're having with an item you bought there and being blown off like this guy tried to do?

In a world where online retail is killing brick & mortar stores, customer relations is EVERYTHING.

Whether I shop at that store again depends entirely on the outcome of this situation. There are alternatives, though less convenient. Even so, I can only imagine how much money and time I'll save if I just start buying online instead of going there in the future.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
LTB_Strax_Core
Gamer
Gamer
I've never had a problem this bad, but I know for a fact my family would stop buying products from there if possible. However, once my dad went to a restaurant and said he didn't want the bread roll that came with his meal, and the waiter practically yelled at him saying that wouldn't give him a discount for that, when my dad just doesn't like bread :P We have only gone there for a meal like 2-3 times sense and it happened over 10 years ago. It totally ruined our experience there.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Daaaaang. Is the guy a scrub, or some form of management? If he's a scrub, you should go over his head and complain not only about the incorrect piece (which isn't their fault, but well within the realm of something they should take care of without complaint) but about the bad employee experience.

Much as I like to take the side of small business, if I bought a board game at Wal-Mart and it had pieces missing, and the manufacturer refused to help, I would expect at least an exchange. I don't buy brand new, unopened products from retail stores only to deal with a 'sold as is stinks to be U sir' kind of mentality.
Sstavix
CCGR addict
I've said this so many times it has almost become a mantra - customer service can make or break a company. If the people don't treat the customers right, then there's no reason to go back, even if their prices are dirt cheap. And great customer service can justify going to a store even if the prices are higher.

My thoughts were similar to Chozon's. I would have asked to see the manager if the grunt was being obstinate. If you've been to the game store as often as you say, then you're probably on a first-name basis with the guy (or gal). I have a similar relationship with the owners of the game store (both women) in the largest town near me. That would have been a way to find out if you were going to get help, or if you were just wasting your time.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Update:

Feeling very aggravated after that conversation at the game store, I sent a direct E-mail to the manufacturer. This morning, I received a reply that they'll not only send me the correct part but I also get a 10% discount on my next order. I just need to send them my address and the lot number from the kit.

Sounds good to me, I'll send them that when I get home later.

This still leaves me with the bad taste in my mouth from the game store though. I'm glad the manufacturer is going to make it right, and I do intend to buy from them again, but now I don't know that I want to shop at this store again. Just because the manufacturer is handling it doesn't really let the store off the hook for the craptastic attitude and the fact that they didn't keep their promise to send the E-mail on Friday. I do intend to contact the manager or owner and let them know what's happening. At this point there's nothing they need to do in relation to this particular item, but I'd like at least an acknowledgement. Besides, if the problem is just an employee with a bad attitude, I'd want to know if I was their boss.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Glad it's being taken care hope. Hopefully the manager can smooth things over and give that employee a talkin' to
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Another update...

A couple hours after I got the reply from the manufacturer, the guy at the game store finally sent the E-mail that was promised for Friday. Better late than never, I guess. When I responded to the manufacturer I let them know the other E-mail was in reference to the same case so that they don't accidentally send out two replacement parts.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ahhh...well glad they at least did something....
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
That is, literally, a five minute process. Twenty at the most, given there is perhaps some befuddlement with inventory that would require him to search for papers and such.

The poops took him so long? :O Seriously?
J.K. Riki
It sucks when people don't act like we expect, or hope for. I hear that. I'm sorry you had to have that experience, because it feels awful. Been there, it's rough. And I totally get what you mean about wanting to support local game (or other kinds) of stores and be part of the community. That's a great thing and I hope even if you decide not to return to THIS store you'll keep doing supporting other local small businesses, because it's great and so meaningful. I wish they all acted in such a way that it made it easier on us to continue to give that support!

From all your other posts on this forum, I have glimpsed how deep your thinking and understanding is, and I would normally just leave it at the message above but I feel like in this place and with you specifically I can go on to something else... And please forgive me if this is out of line or doesn't feel kind. I don't mean that way.

What you do have, if there's a silver lining, is an amazing opportunity from this mess. And you probably already know this, but I think having brothers in faith remind us can be helpful. First, this allows for so much empathy the next time you're on the other side of the counter. Whether that's figurative or literal (I don't know your job) it means you have this very real and true experience to pull from so you can go out of your way to help someone else who is feeling what you did when you brought in the defective model. Is that empathy worth the frustration? I don't know, but if we use the empathy for good works, I have to believe it is.

Second there's also the amazing chance to practice the forgiveness that we're called to. I can't speak for you, but I know for me PERSONALLY when I am in those kinds of situations I can almost feel my heart get a little harder. I'm mad, dang it. And that anger is justified, too, which is the most dangerous kind of anger! Yet still we are called to be different. Just yesterday I was reading Eph 4:26-27. “In your anger do not sin” : Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold. This is hard, and some days I kind of hate that it's how I'm supposed to act, but I see the wisdom in it and (forgive the assumption) I think you do too. Not that I'm claiming you're still mad, but if you are, just a hopefully-gentle reminder to breathe in the spirit and breathe out the blackness that wants desperately to control you like a puppet. You probably already know that forgiving the guy (who, let's be honest, may have been having a bad day or something in his life is such that he doesn't even see the hurt he's causing with his attitude) will set you free more than anyone else.

Anyway, again, I hope I am not overstepping my bounds here. If so, I ask forgiveness and that you ignore me, because I DO NOT want to add to your misery here. It's already a crappy situation, and if I made it crappier with my comment, I'm truly sorry. Will be praying for peace for you, whatever you decide about future purchases at the shop! :)
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Not overstepping your bounds at all. I posted in a public place precisely because feedback is welcome.

And thanks for the kind words.

I'm not in retail anymore, I'm a software engineer, but I do remember what it was like which is why I can understand that it's hard to maintain the cheerful attitude when it's super busy. I'm really not mad at this guy... I'm over it (and everything you said about forgiveness is absolutely correct.) It's just that I don't know if I can shop somewhere that doesn't support the items it sells.

I sent the guy an E-mail with the idea of opening up a dialogue. He has not yet replied. I'll give it a couple days and if I still hear nothing I'll forward it to the owner just so he's aware. After that we'll see what happens.

I know it may not seem like a big deal, and maybe it really isn't. I just really liked this store and had been shopping there for a long, long time. It's like having a falling out with a friend.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
J.K. Riki
It is often the things that don't seem like big deals that are the biggest deals of them all. There is depth here, so it's good to see it through. It's not like you're making a stink out of something for the sake of being a jerk. And I've seen nothing to indicate you haven't handled it in an exemplary manner, so good job. Setting an example for us all with this. :)

I do hope you can resolve everything because man, that would make the bonds around all this so much stronger. If not, I guess sometimes we have to say goodbye to friends and move along on our separate paths. But what does it say? "If he listens to you, you have gained your brother." And gaining that is such a great feeling, so it's worth a try. Keep us posted, whatever the outcome!
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Thanks again for the kind comments. Made my morning.

I'm planning to post the E-mail I sent but have been waiting for a reply so I could post them together. Nothing yet.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Sorry to take so long to update this story.

So I sent the E-mail out to the guy I had the incident with. After 3 or 4 days of getting no reply I forwarded my message to the owner.

He replied within minutes, and said that he was aware of what happened, and that it had been the subject of a lengthy discussion with the staff.

He went on to explain that generally, they do have the customer resolve those issues with the manufacturer directly when possible, because the manufacturers can often resolve things more quickly and prefer it that way anyhow, because it means fixing the problem by sending a single part instead of being out a whole kit or box set or whatever.

That being said, if that isn't a solution for whatever reason, then the store will take steps to make sure the customer is happy.

THAT was all I wanted. The reassurance of knowing that I wouldn't be left hanging if there was a problem. I'd still rather be able to do an exchange where possible but at least he took the time to explain the process in detail and I can understand where they're coming from.

So I've taken that store off the naughty list and will continue to shop there.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
J.K. Riki
Glad to hear someone higher up the chain got things resolved in the right way! :) Thanks for the update. (It's amazing how much more you care about customers as an owner than as an employee! Though I suppose the best companies have their employees care just as much. Or try to, anyway.)