D&D heroic Microadventure

For any and all pen and paper RPG discussions and games.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
EcoLaserBuilder
Noob
Noob
Hi. I am starting a D&D campaign here on the message boards. If you are interested, please reply to this and agree to the rules. I know That_Helpful_Guy expressed an interest so I just need one more player. I may have to cap the player count at 5 or it will probably get too slow.

1) It will mainly be 4e rules. Because that is the edition I am most familiar with.
2) It will be heroic. Your characters don't have to be the next apostle but they should try and be good guys. Also, no doing mean stuff to fellow players.
3) despite the 4e clause, I would like to include the craft skill from 3.5.
4) I may include new classes like Engineer, based off one I found online, and Librarian, if I can work the mechanics out.
5) mainly cosmetic unless I use the Engineer, but I think a 'redstone' set of items will be included. Including a redstone button, wire, battery and bug that can 'smell' active signal
6) A selectable race will be the Enderman. See here: https://www.christcenteredgamer.com/php ... 69&t=22682

Just want to say that I haven't done DMing on message boards before so we'll see how it goes. :D
Emwok
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
Never played before, but I am interested.
Spoiler:

EcoLaserBuilder
Noob
Noob
Excellent. I will wait for any more players until Saturday, then we will start making character sheets
EcoLaserBuilder
Noob
Noob
Excellent, we can begin with Emwok and That_Helpful_Guy. 1st things 1st, making characters

please decide on:
Name:
Races: human, elf, dwarf, halfling, dragonborn, enderman (that I have made)
Classes: wizard, cleric, paladin, rogue, fighter, ranger, warlord
Then, your character needs abilities. Either choose:
1) the standard array: 16, 14, 13, 12, 11 and 10
or
2) customize this array: 10, 10, 10, 10, 10 and 10
you have 20 points to spend on improving these. Improvements are as follows:
new score: cost
8: -2
9: -1
10: 0
11: 1
12: 2
13: 3
14: 5
15: 7
16: 9
17: 12
18: 16
you cannot have more than 1 score less than 10, nor any less than 8 or more than 18

Now, assign one number in your array of scores to each of the abilities: Strength, Constitution, Dexterity, Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma.
EcoLaserBuilder
Noob
Noob
quick rundown of the options:

Human: Highly adaptable race that can do well at pretty much anything they set their mind to. Pioneers of technology and literature, they are also favoured by God. +2 bonus to Wisdom. +2 to any ability score. 1 bonus at will power, 1 bonus skill at start and 1 bonus feat.

Elf: Majestic race that are one with nature. Creators of beautiful works of art, including painting, weapons and architecture. Also favored by God. They are automatically proficient with long- and shortbows, and are very alert, helping others to be so too. +2 bonus to Wisdom and Dexterity. Slightly faster than Man.

Dwarf: Short race obsessed with the earth and stone. The only race that has mastery of the magma forge, enabling them to smelt and craft metals with magical properties. At home underground (e.g. in dungeons) and very hardy: harder to physically move, resistant to poisons and can use second wind (healing power) as a minor action. +2 to Constitution and Wisdom

Halfling: Speedy small race with whimsical nature. Very brave in the face of danger, they are also swift with their movements. +2 to Dex and Charisma

Enderman: Tall fearsome beings from another plane known as the End. More here viewtopic.php?f=69&t=22682&p=483090#p483090

Dragonborn: Humanoid Dragon race. Being part dragon, they are fearsome, resilient and have a dragon breath power (ice, fire, poison, acid or lightning). +2 to Cha and either Con or Str
That_Helpful_Guy
Blade Warsinger
Enderman
Lvl1 Ranger

STR16
DEX16
CON14
WIS11
INT13
CHA6

(Applied racial mods to standard)

I'll need a list of class features and skills.
EcoLaserBuilder
Noob
Noob
That_Helpful_Guy wrote:Blade Warsinger
Enderman
Lvl1 Ranger

STR16
DEX16
CON14
WIS11
INT13
CHA6

(Applied racial mods to standard)

I'll need a list of class features and skills.
Ranger:
weapon proficiencies: simple melee, simple ranged, military melee, military ranged
HP: 12 +CON score = 26
Defence bonuses: +1 to Fortitude and Reflex

Class Features:

1)Hunter's Quarry: Once per turn as a minor action, you may designate the nearest foe as your 'quarry'. You gain 1d6 bonus damage with attacks to this foe.

2)Either:
a) 2-blade Fighting Style: treat one-handed weapons as off-hand (i.e. you can hold 2 weapons, not necessarily blades, and attack with either)
+ Toughness feat: +5 hit points
b) Archer Fighting Style: Defensive Mobility feat: +2 to AC from attacks of opportunity

3)Either:
a) Prime Shot: +1 bonus to ranged attack rolls if you are closer to your target than any of your allies
b) Running Attack: If you use a standard action that lets you move and you end that movement at least 2 squares away from where you began that move, you gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls made as part of that standard action

Class Skills:

1 of these:
Dungeoneering (Wis)
Nature (Wis)

+ 4 of these:
Acrobatics (Dex)
Athletics (Str)
Dungeoneering (Wis)
Endurance (Con)
Heal (Wis)
Nature (Wis)
Perception (Wis)
Stealth (Dex)
(you can't be trained twice in a skill. Well, not unless you choose skill focus as a feat)

Great name! :D :D
That_Helpful_Guy
Alright...

Archer Fighting Style
Prime Shot

Acrobatics (Dex)
Athletics (Str)
Dungeoneering (Wis)
Endurance (Con)
Stealth (Dex)

This is sooooo different from 3.5... :?
Emwok
CCGR addict
Name: Belghull Dravarax
Race: Dragonborn
Class: Not sure yet. Can you give me details on the wizard and the warlord?

I guess I'll go with the standard array.
Spoiler:

EcoLaserBuilder
Noob
Noob
Emwok wrote:Name: Belghull Dravarax
Class: Not sure yet. Can you give me details on the wizard and the warlord?

I guess I'll go with the standard array.
For your race, you get a bonus in Charisma and either Constitution or Strength. Which would you like?
Also, would you like your dragon breath to be Fire, Ice, Acid, Lightning or Poison? This choice doesn't actually affect the damage done by the attack (e.g. poison doesn't give a lasting effect on your foe) but it is useful for foes that are weak to a particular element.
You also get Dragonborn Fury, which means you get a +1 to attack rolls when you are below 50% hp.

Onto the Class:
Wizard: Arcane Controller. You command forces of magic, shaping them into spells designed to blast you enemies, bring them under your thumb and impede their movement. You also gain access to Rituals (really complex spells for non-combat situations). A wizard normally stands at the back and tosses spells to the front line
Warlord: Martial Leader. You rally your companions with a mixture of shouted commands and cunning stratagems, leading them to victory through superior tactics. You also have an 'inspiring presence' which helps allies regain health or be more accurate with attacks. A warlord normally is on the front line but shouts to inspire others around him

If you are struggling to decide between the above, look at this spoiler
Spoiler:
I would go with Wizard, because there is already a battle-central hero on the team
With your abilities, decide which score you want with which ability. Bear in mind your racial bonuses. If you want to be a Wizard, make your highest score Intelligence, or make it Strength for Warlord
Emwok
CCGR addict
Thanks for the info. Here's my final character sheet:

Class: Wizard

STR: 13
DEX: 12
CON: 13
WIS: 14
INT: 16
CHA: 13

I didn't apply any of the bonuses. In the choice between Constitution and Strength, I would rather have the Constitution bonus. I would like my breath to be lightning.
Spoiler:

EcoLaserBuilder
Noob
Noob
That_Helpful_Guy wrote:Alright...

Archer Fighting Style
Prime Shot

Acrobatics (Dex)
Athletics (Str)
Dungeoneering (Wis)
Endurance (Con)
Stealth (Dex)

This is sooooo different from 3.5... :?
Agreed. When my DM announced we were going to switch from 4e to 3.5, I thought I could use my existing character sheet. Didn't work out.

By the way, there are 2 skills I forgot to list:
Craft (Int) [Works the same as 3.5. It allows you to craft your own items or weapons. There are 4 schools, taken seperately: Alchemy (acid, antitoxins and a few useful items), Weaponsmithing, Bowsmithing and Armoursmithing (no explanation needed). All available as class skills for Martial classes, Alchemy for Arcane and all but Alchemy for Divine]
Innovate (Int) [Similar, but covers mechanical and redstone devices. Includes trapmaking. Can be used to lower Theivery DC with locks, closed doors etc. Available to all Martial classes]

Next for you, exploits/powers!

At-will powers: (as and when) choose 2:

Careful Attack
At-Will ♦ Martial, Weapon
Standard Action||Melee or Ranged weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Dex + 2 vs. AC (ranged).
Hit: 1[W] damage (melee) or 1[W] damage (ranged).
Increase damage to 2[W] (melee) or 2[W] (ranged) at 21st level.

Nimble Strike
Standard Action||Ranged weapon
Special: Shift 1 square before or after you attack
Attack: Dex vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Dex damage.

Twin Strike
Standard Action|| Melee or Ranged weapon
Targets: One or two creatures
Attack: Dex vs. AC (ranged), two attacks
Hit: 1[W] damage per attack.

Encounter Powers: (once per encounter) choose 1:

Evasive Strike
Encounter ♦ Martial, Weapon
Special: You can shift a number of squares equal to 1 + your Wis either before or after the attack.
Attack: Dex vs. AC (ranged)
Hit: 2[W] + Dex damage (ranged).

Fox's Cunning
Immediate Reaction||Melee or Ranged weapon
Trigger: An enemy makes a melee attack against you
Attack: You can shift 1 square, then make a basic attack against the enemy.
Special: Gain a power bonus to your basic attack roll equal to your Wis.

Two-Fanged Strike
Requirement: Two melee weapons or a ranged weapon
Attack: Dex vs. AC (ranged), two attacks
Hit: 1[W] + Dex damage (ranged) per attack. If both attacks hit, you deal extra damage equal to your Wis.

Daily Powers (I think you can get how often you can do these): choose 1:

Split the Tree (wha?)
Daily ♦ Martial, Weapon
Standard Action||Ranged weapon
Targets: Two creatures within 3 squares of each other
Attack: Dex vs. AC. Make two attack rolls, take the higher result, and apply it to both targets.
Hit: 2[W] + Dex damage.

Hunter's Bear Trap
Daily ♦ Martial, Weapon
Attack: Str vs. AC (melee) or Dex vs. AC (ranged)
Hit: 2[W] + Str damage (melee) or 2[W] + Dex damage (ranged), and the target is slowed and takes ongoing 5 damage (save ends both).
Miss: Half damage, no ongoing damage, and the target is slowed until the end of your next turn

Since you chose Archer Fighting style, I have only displayed ranged exploits. There will likely be no point in this campaign where you are relieved of your bow, so yeah.
BTW: [W] means whatever damage your weapon does in 'one hit'. e.g. a weapon could normally do 2d4 damage. then 2[W] would be 4d4. In case anyone wanted to know
That_Helpful_Guy
Nimble Strike
Twin Strike

Two-Fanged Strike

Split the Tree
EcoLaserBuilder
Noob
Noob
Emwok wrote:Thanks for the info. Here's my final character sheet:

Class: Wizard

STR: 13
DEX: 12
CON: 13
WIS: 14
INT: 16
CHA: 13

I didn't apply any of the bonuses. In the choice between Constitution and Strength, I would rather have the Constitution bonus. I would like my breath to be lightning.
good choice.

you get: +2 to Will Defence; max hp: 10 + Con score = 25; weapon proficiencies: Dagger and Quarterstaff

Wizard class features:

Ritual Caster (bonus feat): you can use Rituals and gain your choice of 3 first level Rituals (more later)

Implement Master: you can choose an Implement:

1) Orb of Imposition: makes spells that have duration last longer. Once per encounter, as a free action:
a) apply a penalty equal to your Wis mod to the saving throw of a creature suffering an spell effect (inflicted by you) that a save can end. (e.g. if a goblin has been hit by a sleep spell, use this to increase the difficulty of it 'resisting' by +2 (your Wis mod)
b) make a spell that lasts 'until your next turn' last 1 turn longer.

2) Staff of Defense: +1 to AC defense. Also, once per encounter, as an immediate interrupt, you can add your Con mod (+2 in your case) to all of your defenses against one attack.

3) Wand of accuracy: Once per encounter, as a free action, you can gain a bonus to your next attack roll of your Dex mod (+1 in your case)

Arcanist's Spellbook: you gain a spellbook, that you record your Rituals, Daily and Utility spells. This means that you know more spells than you can do in a day. You gain 2 daily spells at 1st level, but at the start of the day, you 'prepare' one of them for use at some point of the day.

Skills:
You have training in Arcana and 3 of the following:
Diplomacy (Cha)
Dungeoneering (Wis)
History (Int)
Insight (Wis)
Nature (Wis)
Religion (Int)
:D
Emwok
CCGR addict