How to play Dungeons and Dragons?

For any and all pen and paper RPG discussions and games.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Unevenest
Noob
Noob
ArchAngel wrote:So, we have done it 2 different ways.

First campaign we did was hosted by Fathom (he hasn't been one for a while). You can look it over in the Redemption of Agronon subforum in the Table-Top section. All the sessions are done via these forum threads, and Fathom would draw up pictures to show board position. The games took a fair sight longer than one done in real time, but I felt it rolled out more like a story, allowing both the DM and players space for a little more exposition. I really appreciated this element.

The next was done via Google Hangouts and the Roll20 system. This was real time with video chat and a virtual board and was DM'd by ArcticFox. It was cool being all there together and the game paced faster, of course. This one, I feel, gave me the best feeling for what a normal tabletop game would feel like.

The latest on the board was a sort D&D lite game I hosted on the forums, under the UnHuman: Danse Necrosis subforum. It played via threads like the Agronon campaign, but I tried making it more streamlined. It was a zombie survival game where people played "themselves" and were to see how long they'd last in a zombie apocalypse. The rules were cut down pretty sizably to facilitate the new setting. I got a bit busy, though, and dropped the ball on doing updates. Probably should try to get it up again.
Cool, the youtube series I'm watching uses the simulated board. I never thought about playing DnD via forum threads, that sounds fun as well.
Unevenest
Noob
Noob
Sstavix wrote:
ArchAngel wrote: We've been pretty silent on campaigns lately as a lot of us got busy, but if another one pops up *coughhintsstavixahem*, you should definitely trying getting in on it.
Huh? Wha? Who?

If I were to be convinced to run a campaign around here (it might not take much - time is the biggest factor), I actually have an idea for a campaign setting. I've got a pretty cool idea for a fantasy setting that would have a lot of secrets and conspiracies going on... with a touch of inspiration from the manga series "Fairy Tale." It would probably be based on the Pathfinder rules (which can be found on-line here, if anyone's interested - it's not too different from D&D 3.5), primarily because I like the way the skills and feats are arranged in that system.

The challenge, of course, is finding the time to get it together....
Count me in as well!
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
I know this is kinda late but... better late than never, right?

Arch mentioned that I've used pre-written campaign modules... It's true I have used them often. They're a great way for a new DM to get a sense for how the story should be structured, what kinds of combat challenges should be presented to the players, etc. I'd urge any new DM to try at least one to get a feel for how things flow.

I continue to use them because they save me time. Unless I have an inspiration for a really good story idea, I prefer to use modules to keep things going.

Right now, I'm running Hoard of the Dragon Queen for my local gaming club. It's a very long module, meant to be played as a full fledged campaign. It's our first foray into the new 5th Edition and, like I said above, it's helped me to get used to gauging the proper level of challenge for the party with the new rules. It's a pretty good story, and the players are enjoying it a lot.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens