How to play Dungeons and Dragons?

For any and all pen and paper RPG discussions and games.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Unevenest
Noob
Noob
Hi guys, it seems to me that this forum is mostly about video game RPG's, but I don't see how a post about a non-electronic game can hurt.

My post is kinda a open question.

I've watched a youtube series where they play DnD, and it seems like a very fun game. I understand the general flow of it, but I'd like to learn the specific rules and how to be a Dungeon Master for a game, but the rule books are quiet expensive.

So I was wondering if anyone on the forums play DnD, and if so, what you advise me to do as far as learning how to play. Also what version do you recommend?
Emwok
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
Welcome to the forums! I don't play D&D myself (yet) but I know there are some people around here who play D&D. Also, it seems like you might have overlooked the Table Top RPGs forum. That is where discussions about D&D, Pathfinder, etc. are found.
Spoiler:

ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
The basic rules are free here: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx ... basicrules

ArcticFox or ArchAngel can shed some more light on which version is the best, I just go with their expertise
Sstavix
CCGR addict
ccgr wrote: ArcticFox or ArchAngel can shed some more light on which version is the best, I just go with their expertise
What, I don't get a say? :(

;)
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
I recommended them since they DM. I knew you played do you DM too?
Sstavix
CCGR addict
I do, actually. In fact, I've dome more DMing in my life than playing. Sometimes I prefer being a player, though....

I'm kicking around the idea of running a little family-centered D&D session just for my wife, my daughters and myself. The challenge is finding the time to come up with the adventures....
Unevenest
Noob
Noob
Sstavix wrote:I do, actually. In fact, I've dome more DMing in my life than playing. Sometimes I prefer being a player, though....

I'm kicking around the idea of running a little family-centered D&D session just for my wife, my daughters and myself. The challenge is finding the time to come up with the adventures....
I've heard people talking about pre-made adventures that people have posted online, however I haven't really done any research on it.
Unevenest
Noob
Noob
Thank's guys for the input! I'll read the link you posted ccgr.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
There are pre-made campaigns, or modules, you can pick up and use but I can't comment too much on them. Arctic has used them, so he can advise on them a little more.

D&D is definitely a fantastic gaming experience, both for players and the DM. I realize not everybody has this opportunity, but if you can, maybe play as a player before you take up DM'ing. It gives you a better insight into how a game can/should flow and how DM's respond or build worlds. Being a DM can be pretty overwhelming at times, but rewarding as well. Arctic and Sstavix have a good amount of DM experience, so they can definitely lead you down the right path.

So, if I might ask, why do you want to be the DM? Is it just that you don't really have anyone else who would do it? Or perhaps, are you the type who likes reading and knowing all the rules to a board game? Enjoy building fantastical worlds in your head?
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
Unevenest
Noob
Noob
ArchAngel wrote:There are pre-made campaigns, or modules, you can pick up and use but I can't comment too much on them. Arctic has used them, so he can advise on them a little more.

D&D is definitely a fantastic gaming experience, both for players and the DM. I realize not everybody has this opportunity, but if you can, maybe play as a player before you take up DM'ing. It gives you a better insight into how a game can/should flow and how DM's respond or build worlds. Being a DM can be pretty overwhelming at times, but rewarding as well. Arctic and Sstavix have a good amount of DM experience, so they can definitely lead you down the right path.

So, if I might ask, why do you want to be the DM? Is it just that you don't really have anyone else who would do it? Or perhaps, are you the type who likes reading and knowing all the rules to a board game? Enjoy building fantastical worlds in your head?
I'd say I want to be DM for a little bit of both reasons. My friend's and family aren't really into DnD and would probably not go through the trouble of learning how to DM, at the very least not until they've played it. I also am the type of person to do a lot of research on a game I greatly enjoy. (I've read a lot of the Halo books and trivia, for an example). As far as joining a game as a player, I don't really know a lot of people that play DnD, but I would assume that watching a few games on YouTube would help me understand a bit, although not as much as me playing it myself of course.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
I hear ya. The only D&D games I was a player for was on this site. I've only DM'd the in-person games.

We've been pretty silent on campaigns lately as a lot of us got busy, but if another one pops up *coughhintsstavixahem*, you should definitely trying getting in on it.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

Unevenest
Noob
Noob
ArchAngel wrote:I hear ya. The only D&D games I was a player for was on this site. I've only DM'd the in-person games.

We've been pretty silent on campaigns lately as a lot of us got busy, but if another one pops up *coughhintsstavixahem*, you should definitely trying getting in on it.
I'll do that! ^_^

So you guys play online with a board simulator?
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
So, we have done it 2 different ways.

First campaign we did was hosted by Fathom (he hasn't been one for a while). You can look it over in the Redemption of Agronon subforum in the Table-Top section. All the sessions are done via these forum threads, and Fathom would draw up pictures to show board position. The games took a fair sight longer than one done in real time, but I felt it rolled out more like a story, allowing both the DM and players space for a little more exposition. I really appreciated this element.

The next was done via Google Hangouts and the Roll20 system. This was real time with video chat and a virtual board and was DM'd by ArcticFox. It was cool being all there together and the game paced faster, of course. This one, I feel, gave me the best feeling for what a normal tabletop game would feel like.

The latest on the board was a sort D&D lite game I hosted on the forums, under the UnHuman: Danse Necrosis subforum. It played via threads like the Agronon campaign, but I tried making it more streamlined. It was a zombie survival game where people played "themselves" and were to see how long they'd last in a zombie apocalypse. The rules were cut down pretty sizably to facilitate the new setting. I got a bit busy, though, and dropped the ball on doing updates. Probably should try to get it up again.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

Sstavix
CCGR addict
ArchAngel wrote: We've been pretty silent on campaigns lately as a lot of us got busy, but if another one pops up *coughhintsstavixahem*, you should definitely trying getting in on it.
Huh? Wha? Who?

If I were to be convinced to run a campaign around here (it might not take much - time is the biggest factor), I actually have an idea for a campaign setting. I've got a pretty cool idea for a fantasy setting that would have a lot of secrets and conspiracies going on... with a touch of inspiration from the manga series "Fairy Tale." It would probably be based on the Pathfinder rules (which can be found on-line here, if anyone's interested - it's not too different from D&D 3.5), primarily because I like the way the skills and feats are arranged in that system.

The challenge, of course, is finding the time to get it together....
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Well, if you do make the time for it, count me in. Like, pre-ordered in. Kickstarted in.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.