I'm ashamed of myself for not knowing this.

For any and all pen and paper RPG discussions and games.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
Gary Gygax, creator of Dungeons & Dragons, was a Christian
Gary Gygax wrote: All I am is another fellow human that has at last, after many wrong paths and failed attenpts, found Jesus Christ.
do{
Respect ++;
}while(true)
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
So we can finally lay the myth that Dungeons & Dragons is satanic to rest, right? :P

Maybe someone should have told Jack Chick this...but then again, we wouldn't have the awesome MST3k commentary on it.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Deepfreeze32 wrote: Maybe someone should have told Jack Chick this...but then again, we wouldn't have the awesome MST3k commentary on it.
And the equally awesome movie adaptation.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
He actually kept his faith private because he didn't want to hurt the reputation of Christianity because of the "moral panic" over D&D. (I'm citing Wikipedia which is citing something else.)

That's a real shame.

And dat movie adaptation. Love it!
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
Sstavix
CCGR addict
I did know that.

(Of course I knew that. It's "obscure historical game trivia." Ask me a question about something that's relevant and I'll have no clue....)

If I recall correctly, his faith is also why his game universe tended to have a vaguely Tolkienesque feel to it. Just as Tolkien had subtle influences of his faith in "The Lord of the Rings," the same goes for Gygax's works (especially with emphasis on the hero's journey and success against overwhelming evil int he face of insurmountable odds). Of course, being a role-playing game and subject to innumerable house rules, things have changed a lot with D&D (and any tabletop RPG, really) since then.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
ArchAngel wrote:He actually kept his faith private because he didn't want to hurt the reputation of Christianity because of the "moral panic" over D&D. (I'm citing Wikipedia which is citing something else.)

That's a real shame.
It is a real shame, because that's one of the most facepalm inducing behaviors of some Christians. That ranks with book burners and people who ignore Halloween because they think such things will send them to Hell.

I often say that science and religion are separate tools in life's toolbox, but reason is something that should be common to both, and people who are so paranoid that a man had to hide his faith to help them save face are part of the problem, not the solution.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
A pretty fun anecdote: http://snapjudgment.org/chasing-dragon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Hilarious!

Actually, that was a lot like listening to a Greaseman bit.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
w00t Epic DnD Games in Heaven!
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Awww, darn. I'm gonna miss out on that.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

ArcticFox
CCGR addict
You don't have to.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Location: Surrounded by blood and bathed in fire on a frozen lake
Don't worry Arch, when you get close to dyin I can run over and let you fight me to the death, get you into Valhalla. We're chill like that.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
You got a deal! Mead from the skulls of our enemies!
Pew Pew Pew. Science.