Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition... We've Played It!

For any and all pen and paper RPG discussions and games.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
My gaming club has completed the first gaming session using 5th Edition. We're running the module "Hoard of the Dragon Queen" and our campaign page is here, for those interested.

How did it go?

Very well! The players loved it. This new rules set is simple, quick, dynamic and fun. The players especially liked how quickly and easily combat flows, with fights not taking forever. Also, there were so many ways for the characters to co-operate, support each other and perform combinations, that nobody got bored or found themselves with nothing to do during a fight.

For example, the very first battle of the game consisted of a group of kobolds harassing some villagers during an attack on the town. There were more kobolds than PCs, so one character cast an illusion of a small, tasty looking child off to the side to distract some of the kobolds. The illusion wasn't too convincing, so another character added the sound of the child crying to the illusion. This got the kobolds' attention and the enemy party split as some went for the easy prey. The rest of the adventurers then rushed in and slew the kobolds easily.

In another example, one character was brought down by a swarm of rats while another was trying to set up an area of effect spell. This would have killed the incapacitated character so someone else was able to grab him and pull him out of the way in time for the area of effect spell to land, wiping out most of the rats.

In yet another example of teamwork, the party encountered two cultists and an acolyte. The bard was able to magically charm the acolyte and the other players used persuasion skill to convince the two cultists all was well. This enabled the party to capture these enemies for interrogation back in the keep.

5th Edition promotes teamwork like no other edition of D&D I've ever seen, and in fact it's deadly enough that players who refuse to work together won't live long.

This grizzled, 26-year veteran Dungeons & Dragons grognard gives 5th Edition D&D 2 thumbs up and a 5-star rating. Well done, Wizards of the Coast. Well done.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
nice, sounds fun. Change out campaign to 5th if we resume it???
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Oh definitely. It's so much better.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Wow, that's some hefty praise! I think you might have just convinced me to move towards 5th!
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Dude it's so much smoother and simpler than any version before it. That might seem to be a limitation, but actually with the rules getting out of the way, the players felt much more free with their choices in game.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
coffeeblocks33
Noob
Noob
Wow, I've been away from D&D for so long. I first learned the incredibly complicated 2nd edition rules while playing Baldur's Gate/infinity engine games. The last PnP game I played with 3rd edition rules. It seems I've missed two complete sets of rule changes, lol.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Don't worry, with 4E you didn't miss much. If you liked 2E you probably wouldn't have liked 3E much either.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens