Recommend a Board Game

For any and all pen and paper RPG discussions and games.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
Gloom is a card game that my wife has actually been eyeballing for a couple of years. We may have to pick it up. :)

And we have started a family D&D session here, too. (Actually, Pathfinder, but it's close enough to D&D to count.) My wife, my 10-year-old daughter and one of our close family friends were playing last night, along with my five-year-old daughter, who dropped in and out all evening. I was the GM. We didn't get home until after midnight, but we did have fun. Tabletop RPGs are good for the imagination, and also serve as a fun way to practice math skills and show how they can be applied outside of a classroom environment.
yoish2000
Noob
Noob
Forbidden Island by Gamewright is very good. It is another one of those games that you play together to win. Land on an Island that has 4 hidden treasures, but is sinking into the sea. Try and get all the treasures and get off the Island before it sinks into the sea. It involves some strategic thinking, and has a way to scale the difficulty.

Give it a try.
RoosterOnAStick
Hmm, over the past few years I've had some number of interesting board games.

First off, +1 for Pandemic, especially if you have the expansion for it (On the Brink).

My personal favorite has been Fury of Dracula. Sadly the game is out of print but you should be able to find it on eBay. It is basically a 4v1 hunt for Dracula that is loosely based off of the original novel.
Expat_PM
Noob
Noob
ArcticFox wrote:And, of course, Axis & Allies.
ArcticFox, you're so right about Axis & Allies. It is an amazing game - Risk on steroids!
My son introduced me to A & A miniatures. If you haven't seen it yet find it and check it out.

You build an army and battle an opponent on a small, somewhat variable map. A box comes with a number of military units that each have a card (baseball card style) that gives the characteristics and capabilities of that unit. It could be a US Marine rifleman or a German military commander or a British Spitfire or a tank (Panzer, Tiger, Sherman, M4 Lee) or a machine gunner team or just about anything.

Great fun and the games are typically short and fast paced (unlike the original A&A boardgame).

Each unit cost a number of points and you agree up front how big you want your armies to be. We usually play 50 or 100 point games.

Check it out.

Expat_PM
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
That sounds very similar to the tabletop wargames I play, like Bolt Action.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
Wintercross
ArcticFox wrote:That sounds very similar to the tabletop wargames I play, like Bolt Action.
Hmmm. Hey ArcticFox, what kind of scale are the Boltaction models? How do they compare next to Warhammer 40K stuff?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Bolt Action is 28mm, so it's the same scale as Warhammer. That also translates to about 1/56 scale for model kits, which is what I use for my tanks. They look better and cost less than the tanks produced by the game company itself.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Playing Twilight Imperium with my coworkers. Quickly becoming my favorite and most ultimatest board game.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
Wintercross
ArcticFox wrote:Bolt Action is 28mm, so it's the same scale as Warhammer. That also translates to about 1/56 scale for model kits, which is what I use for my tanks. They look better and cost less than the tanks produced by the game company itself.
Ok cool, thanks for the info!