Magic the Gathering

For any and all pen and paper RPG discussions and games.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
TheCreeper
Noob
Noob
Are you human?: Yes!
So I just started playing this game and got a 2014 event deck and I got some other cards from booster packs which makes up my deck right now. The person I play the most plays the blue and white event deck where I play the red and green event deck with some additions. I have rebuilt my deck to counter his deck, in my opinion, almost perfectly, but is this a bad thing when I go to play other decks? Also are there any cards that are a must have if I want to focus on a red and green deck? Another thing that I'd like to ask is: I kind of want to go for a red and black or green and black deck. Is this a bad move or a good idea?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Red and black work well together, green and black don't. (Generally speaking.)
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
Sstavix
CCGR addict
There was one card series that focused on conflicting colors (the Invasion cycle, if I recall correctly). But if you're looking to play tournaments, that may not be an option.

While it can be fun - and satisfying - to design a deck to counteract the playstyle of one particular person, you may be better off designing a deck that will work for any situation that you may come across. In my own experience (before I quit playing years ago) was to find a card or two that you really, really like and try to craft a deck around that (one of my favorites was the Spiritmonger, which I nicknamed "Audrey," because the more you fed it, the bigger it got. combine that with an Armadillo Cloak...). Remember that you can have up to four copies of a card in your deck, not counting basic lands. The minimum amount of cards you could have in your deck was 40, which is what I often chose to do, because it increased the likelihood of me drawing one of the cards I had based my deck around.

Yes, I tended to play weird things. A lot of times, it didn't work. Sometimes it did, with stunning efficiency (one deck I designed was all red. The only "creatures" were walls, and damage was done with direct damage cards, such as Kindle or Urza's Rage.)
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
As a rule of thumb goes, it's advisable to use the color wheel:
Stick with the colors next to each other.

I'm no expert at MtG, but I would think it's best to find a build you like to play rather than one to counter someone else's.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Agreed. I have a knight deck that's red & white, and a friend of mine plays a ridiculously powerful red & white angel deck. It's true that you generally want to stick to adjacent colors like on the wheel Arch showed, but there are some combinations that work well even when you don't.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
EyeHopPancakes
Noob
Noob
I think red and black would work great, but blue and red works too (if you want some other suggestions) :D
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
red/green representing here lololol
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
MobilizedTiger
Noob
Noob
I Have an amazing White life gain deck, does anyone know of a good way to play online with friends other than skypeing, like an online service?
EchoDelta
Gamer
Gamer
MobilizedTiger wrote:I Have an amazing White life gain deck, does anyone know of a good way to play online with friends other than skypeing, like an online service?
Steam has a couple Magic the Gathering games.

I used to play it on OCTGN which stands for "Online Card and Tabletop Gaming Network." It's "user-powered" since the game doesn't come with any files. It requires the players to provide them and OCTGN acts as the interface. And since the players provides the files, any cards, past and present can be used.

http://www.octgn.net/
Gublin2
Noob
Noob
I have only played Magic once and it was very confusing. What would be a good beginner deck.