Warmachine.

For any and all pen and paper RPG discussions and games.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
So, after years of plotting and considering, watching and dreaming, I finally done did it. Jumped into the miniature wargaming hobby. For Christmas I was given the starter box of Warmachine's Cygnar faction, a unit of Stormblade infantry, paint, brushes, a hobby knife and glue.

After all that time watching Youtube and reading, I deemed myself knowledgeable enough to carefully assemble my miniature mighty army, and so promptly made several mistakes, had several "I have no idea what I'm doing" moments, and I managed to glue a leg to my thumb, so my Ironclad has a nifty thumbprint pattern on its thigh. XD The biggest mistake was probably ignoring the rather basic idea that, if you glue on a giant gun held in front of a tiny soldier, how are you going to paint behind said gun?

At the moment my (mostly) glued together models are awaiting priming, which has been delayed by the rainy weather.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
WOOHOO! Welcome to the fun!
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
Sstavix
CCGR addict
It can be a fun - but sometimes expensive - hobby! In my experience, for some of those minis with lots of little parts, it sometimes works best to paint the pieces before you glue them together. Be sure not to paint the parts where the glue is supposed to go! Once the miniature is assembled, go over the seam lines - where the parts were glued together - with another layer of paint to help cover up the lines. If you can.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Who's your Warcaster?
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Sstavix wrote:It can be a fun - but sometimes expensive - hobby! In my experience, for some of those minis with lots of little parts, it sometimes works best to paint the pieces before you glue them together. Be sure not to paint the parts where the glue is supposed to go! Once the miniature is assembled, go over the seam lines - where the parts were glued together - with another layer of paint to help cover up the lines. If you can.
I figured that out shortly after I glued it together. Especially the little storm gunners; I was like "How am I supposed to paint behind the rifle covering half the dude's body?" XD
ArcticFox wrote:Who's your Warcaster?
Coleman Stryker. I actually managed to paint my Ironclad tonight and, though it's not mind blowing, I'm pretty happy with the results. I'll try to get some pictures up.

Wanting to be completely ostentatious, I swapped the yellow/gray paints out with Gold and platinum metallics. They're sort of giving me fits, especially the gold since I primed them in black, but I'm making headway.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Metallic colors can be a real pain. I learned, from bitter experience, to get good results from metallics by undercoating them.

For example, with gold, brass, and other yellow metal shades, an undercoat of mustard yellow really does a great job of getting the color to look nice and solid. Silver and gunmetal should be undercoated in black.

I don't know what brand you're using but I've had trouble with Citadel and P3 separating and getting all lumpy in the pot. My solution was to switch to Vallejo because it comes in a tube and my problems all went away. People say Citadel and P3 are awesome but they must know something I don't.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Nice. I'ma try that with my next model. Finished my Charger earlier...I think. I'm doing OK with two or three coats of the metallics, but it looks sort of...I dunno. Off somehow. I haven't gone and tried highlighting or dry brushing yet either, and I just realized I'm basically using only three colors.

I'm actually using Vallejo Model Color paints. Found 'em at Hobby Lobby, surprisingly.

What are you guys' thoughts on washes? I've heard them referred to as "liquid talent", and I don't want to cop out, but I do want my little fierce army to look as good as possible.
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Chozon1 wrote: What are you guys' thoughts on washes? I've heard them referred to as "liquid talent", and I don't want to cop out, but I do want my little fierce army to look as good as possible.
I say whatever technique you use, if you like the end results, then go for it.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
True. I 'spose I just need to try. I'm just nervous because I don't want to mess up...I could strip them and repaint though, I guess.

Off to paint my storm guard.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
I haven't used washes much in the past, but I plan to do it more. It isn't a cop-out technique. The pros use it. Basically you just want tom ake sure you're using the right thing.

Washes are good for shading in the cracks and crevices when you don't want to change the color of the paint itself. A wash just flows into the recessed areas and doesn't change the color on the raised areas.

Inks are good for changing the color of paint that's already down, to achieve specific effects. It actually stains the color of the paint under it. One way to use it is to make something look like it glows by taking an undercoat of white, then staining it with ink so it looks brighter than just paint would.

Glazes are good for changing the color of an area in both the raised and recessed areas. Basically it's like a translucent paint. The effect achieved would be like if you looked at the model through a colored plastic filter (like in 3D glasses.)
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
I had been wondering what the differences were, actually, and was beginning to wonder if they were interchangeable. Glad I didn't try to make a wash using an ink. O_o I did try out a wash though, and hesitantly liked the effects. Or at least the idea, of the effects. In my thoughts, it makes the armor look sort of rusty or mud covered, which I'm not thrilled with on my 'sposedly "shining knight" Cygnar guys, but it would come in handy on the 'Jacks feet, I think. Should've tried black, or maybe a darker blue. Or maybe buy a real wash instead of trying to make one on my own, at least until I know what I'm doing.

I'm actually pretty happy with them. I haven't washed any of the 'Jacks, just the two Stormguard. I did sorta brain fart on the black lines on the Charger (I think that's what it's called) as an attempt to define the shoulders more...need to touch that up. As well as a few spots the camera has made clear. O_o

Dagnabbit. I need to take a picture of this stuff before I take a picture of it. The flash reveals all.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Lookin' good dude!

Generally when using a wash do to shading, you should avoid black since it'll make the model look dirty rather than shading. For blue, you were right to use a dark blue. Purple would also be good if you were also using red in your models.

When shading metals like iron and silver, a little thin black wash can look really good, and then highlight with a lighter shade. For example if you use a gunmetal color, highlight with steel. That'll really make the shoulders on that heavy 'jack pop. Shade gold-ish colors with a brown wash and highlight with a lighter gold.

I like how you put blue in the swords for your infantry. Next time you do those, just for giggles, paint that slot white and use a blue ink to cover it lightly just to see if you like the effect.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Lookin' pretty good!
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Thanks guys. ^_^ I'm happy with them, but they're still rough looking, I know...hopefully, I'll get better in time.

I haven't tried highlighting yet...still a bit fuzzy on how to go about doing it. Part of the problem is that all the information and techniques I've read or watched phases out of my brain when I get a paintbrush in my hand. I've even got a "How to paint" e-book. XD

I'ma try washing it again with a different color after I either clean or strip the stormblades...my paint selection is rather limited, at the moment. I've got dark blue, sky blue, white, black, brown, gold and silver...I didn't really think I'd need more than to start. O_o Red and yellow would've been very handy though, at the least.

I looked up the inking technique and it's awesome. O_o I need some blue ink...currently, all I have access to is black (and that's assuming I can use indie ink).

Here's a different paint scheme I'm considering:

Thoughts?

I think if I have any more updates I'll just post them in Arctic's thread, with his permission?

Should've probably put this in there...but I was to giggly and excited to think that through. >_>
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Please do! it isn't my thread, I only started it ;)

With Cygnar typically the blue is darker... but at the same time this can be a good way to make your army unique. Like how I use a lot of blue in some of my Menoth models even though the "official" scheme is all red, white and gold.

One thing I like to do (and some people like this, some hate it) is to use ink or wash in the seams between components... Like if you look at the shield on that 'jack, where the gold framing goes around the outside with the blue of the shield within, and the Cygnar insignia at the center.... I'd do aline of blue wash as a borer between the gold and the blue. I like it because it makes the details pop out more, but some people don't like it so much. It's all a matter of taste.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens