I AM NOT YOUR NURSEMAID! - A Warhammer Rant

For any and all pen and paper RPG discussions and games.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
That's good to know, thanks. Actually I'm generally satisfied with my overall muscle mass. Fixing cars for all those years made me pretty strong, so at this point I'd do weight training as a way to get back the tone and restore what I've lost through atrophe over the years. There was a time when I could lift a transmission over my head and install it as part of a clutch replacement... Pretty sure I can't do that now but I'd like to get back to that point.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
Noobyhead99
This entire thread is just a massive tl;dr to me :D
Unconstructive posts ahoy!

On a side note, I do quite like Warhammer. The dedication people put into it when painting the figures and stuff is incredible!
Spoiler:
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
The whining begins again.

Our campaign had been going sloooooooly and so we restructured it to pick up the pace. Turns are now one month long with the last day of the month being the day for resolving army actions like claiming new territory or building forts and stuff.

So yesterday was that day, and I could feel the storm coming.

Now, bear in mind, in this campaign there are 8 players. That's a lot of cats to herd, but they're all adults. I had revised our gaming club's campaign rulebook 5 weeks ago and in it was the campaign schedule. Everybody got a copy and it clearly states the last day of the month is for resolving moves.

Now, knowing that people probably didn't read it or ready it but don't remember, I created a post yesterday afternoon on our gaming club forum reminding everyone about the deadline (midnight). And just to make doubly sure, I sent out a group E-mail to every player reminding them.

Well, of the 7 players (excluding myself) I heard back from 2. So I posted the end of the turn at midnight and followed it with a post to address concerns I could see coming ("Nobody TOLD me it was the end of the turn!" "But I told you 3 weeks ago in a casual conversation what I was planning!" "But my next move was OBVIOUS!")

Well it's just before 9:30 AM and already I've gotten nastygrams from 2 people. Apparently, it's an ENORMOUS amount of work and effort to log onto a web forum for 5 minutes to post actions. ENORMOUS, and if I were a good GM AT ALL I'd coddle them, hold up the campaign for them, and read their minds for them so they don't have to expend the unreasonable effort to post a message.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
kill them off :D
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
So far, 3 players who didn't make their move have reacted. One player I'm not sure what he thinks because all he said was "really?" Another took it like a man. The third gave me three of the excuses I anticipated, all in one set of texts:

"I told you I was gonna do this when we talked a couple weeks ago..."

I'm sure you did, but you have to declare these actions during the Resolve Expeditions Phase. Telling me as part of our discussion in an alliance isn't enough. Otherwise, it isn't fair to the guys who are not in the same alliance as me. It would mean that my allies NEVER miss their chance to do anything because we discussed it in advance during our planning. Not fair.

Additionally, thee things need to be placed on the forum so that there's a record. Telling me in the car on the way to somewhere or mentioning it to me at D&D isn't enough. Expecting me to take the time to make the posts for you isn't reasonable. My time is valuable too.

"When I made my move, I said, right in my post, that it was for the purpose of taking the hex."

No doubt, but stating your reasons for an action way back in the move phase doesn't constitute declaring an action in the Resolve Expeditions phase. When I'm closing out the turn, it isn't reasonable to expect me to research through the thread to try and find your reasoning and then take your actions for you. It's not like I have a photographic memory and know who said what. I'd have to read every single post. Even if it were easy, I still wouldn't do it. The move phase was a month ago. You might have changed your mind for all I know.

"I had a lot of stuff going on yesterday and didn't even check my E-mail until today."

That sucks and I feel for you, but if I make an exception for one, I have to do it for all. Sometimes life gets in the way. Maybe it wasn't your fault, but it wasn't mine either. In any case, you own a smart phone. You can check E-mail anytime, anywhere. If the campaign wasn't a priority for you that's perfectly reasonable and fine, but that doesn't obligate me to give special treatment nor dies it entitle you to hold up the rest of the group.

(Yes, I've said these things to him as well, but in awkward text speak and I'm still frustrated and need to vent it out.)
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Another person replied... and took it like a man. So far, it's going a little better than I'd anticipated, actually.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
So apparently "really?" guy is thinking of leaving the campaign. Another player tried to calm him down and suggested I do the same but all I got was his voicemail.

We're talking about a 43-year-old man whom I've been friends with for over 25 years.

I don't have any words for this right now. Don't know what to think. The feedback I've gotten from the other players has largely been good, so I don't think it's just me.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Sstavix
CCGR addict
In the greater majority of games where there is a time clock used to measure the amount of times a player (or players) have to make a move, there is a penalty of some sort for exceeding this time. This ranges from sports such as basketball and football to tournaments with Scrabble and chess. Therre are even timers in a lot of video games, such as the Mario platformers.

If a player fails to make a move, then there should be a penalty involved. Simple as that. I presume that the penalties are laid out in the club rules (I suspect it's simply "that player forfeits their turn"), so everyone should agree to it or not bother playing. Just that simple.

And talking about what you're going to do doesn't count. If I'm sitting at a chessboard and I say "I think I'll move my pawn forward two spaces," I don't actually make the move until my hand touches the piece, moves it forward two spaces, then let go.

So yep, I'm siding with you. :)
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Make some sort of mysterious instant death portal. >_>

"Oh no! The weight of your troops standing in one place so long has shifted the water table and quicksand appeared beneath your feet!"
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Rocks Fall. Everyone dies.

So we've gotten over the hump. My longtime friend calmed down and got over it. Another guy was annoyed, but understood once he thought about it, even before we chatted. A couple other people were angry at themselves for forgetting, but not at me.

So cooler heads prevailed, but I have to keep an eye out so we don't have this happen again.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
I suggest spray painting "MAKE YOUR MOVE" on their cars.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Chozon1 wrote:I suggest spray painting "MAKE YOUR MOVE" on their cars.
Don't tempt me.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens