Shell we get this puppy started?

For any and all pen and paper RPG discussions and games.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
I know, I know, I'm slow. I'm almost done with the sheet, but I have a question concerning Wizards.

So I was using the character generator ccgr linked earlier and I'm not entirely sure I trust what I got for spells. Do I normally get all 0-level spells excluding the ones that are in the prohibited schools?

Or do I just get the ones in my specialty school? I can't seem to find this on the website...
fathom123
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Mages are different from sorcerrers and clerics in that they have to have a spell book. The way wizardly magic works is you have a spell book, you get to memorize that many spells mentioned in the D20 SRD. So if you have 5, 0 level spells, that doesnt mean that you have 5 different spells that are 0 level, that means even if you only have one 0 level spell, you can memorize it 5 times. When you cast a spell the magic is released and a part of that causes you to forget the spell which requires you to study your spell book each day to relearn your spells. If you do not have your spell book, you can not memorize a spell. There are rules about using spell books belonging to others as well. There's some kind of penalty involved.

In order for you to get new spells, you have to find them in game or buy them. Whereas if a cleric or sorcerer gains new spells, they don't need a book, their god or personal ability causes them to have new spells, though they are limited in selection and number, unlike the wizard who has more spell slots and a more diverse selection of spells.

If you find a scroll, you can attempt to copy it into your spell book. If successful, you will be able to memorize that spell instead of simply casting it from the scroll, which expends the magic in the scroll leaving you with a blank piece of paper or it vanishes, is consumed by fire, a mysterous hand appears from a portal and tears it up in front of you, etc (with magic you never know).

A great treasure for you is if you guys ever fight a wizard, search him for his spell book or scroll. Be careful because they are sometimes booby trapped with explosive runes and curses, not to mention mundane traps as well. You will have to copy the spells into your book or attempt to use their book, but that means you have to lug another book around and have duplicate spells instead of copying them into your book and selling the book you found.

The spells you start the game with are ones that are copied into your book right now. For you to get more, you have to copy them into your book (you don't automatically get different spells when you level up, you have to find/buy them).

I hope this helps, I think i'm a little redundant in what I'm saying but yea.
Jeremiah 20:9-But if I say, "I will not mention him or speak any more in his name," his word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot.
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
OK, I think I get that now. But how does it affect character creation? What spells (If any) do I know from the beginning?
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
so where do I put my profession and craft on my sheet?

I already have special abilities:
armor proficiency light, persuasive, simple weapon proficiency, track, sneak attack, trap finding

I'd like my profession to be bounty hunter

specialty....how shall I put this...extracting information from people? preferably painlessly...though it would be funny to run a massage therapy salon as a front...
fathom123
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Maybe I was a bit off.

Check out the second part of the spell book section in the srd. It says you start with all 0 level spells and 3 first level + another first level spell for every point you have for your Int modifier.

Each level, you get two new spells from the available spell levels you have access to. So if you have acess to level 3 spells, you can get two 3rd level spells or you can get 1 second level and 1 thrid level or two second levels and so on.

Spellbooks
A wizard must study her spellbook each day to prepare her spells. She cannot prepare any spell not recorded in her spellbook, except for read magic, which all wizards can prepare from memory.

A wizard begins play with a spellbook containing all 0-level wizard spells (except those from her prohibited school or schools, if any; see School Specialization, below) plus three 1st-level spells of your choice. For each point of Intelligence bonus the wizard has, the spellbook holds one additional 1st-level spell of your choice. At each new wizard level, she gains two new spells of any spell level or levels that she can cast (based on her new wizard level) for her spellbook. At any time, a wizard can also add spells found in other wizards’ spellbooks to her own.
Now any additional spells aside from the two you get per level you must get from scrolls or spell books. There are no penalties for copying the spells from one book to another. Though boobie traps can still occurr.
Jeremiah 20:9-But if I say, "I will not mention him or speak any more in his name," his word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot.
fathom123
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
ccgr wrote:so where do I put my profession and craft on my sheet?

I already have special abilities:
armor proficiency light, persuasive, simple weapon proficiency, track, sneak attack, trap finding

I'd like my profession to be bounty hunter

specialty....how shall I put this...extracting information from people? preferably painlessly...though it would be funny to run a massage therapy salon as a front...
Yea, I KNEW IT! How else do you know all that about other players on the forums who get banned. Now you just want to be in game what you are in real life.

A bounty hunter as profession is fine. You would roll profession [bounty hunter] for several reasons. If you capture a briggand you would roll your profession to acess whether or not they would be worth your time to collect a bounty on their heads. You would roll this when looking for the recent wanted posters or you can use it as a sort of "gather information" except it can only be used when searching for information regarding fugitives. You can use this roll in acessing the odds that someone has a bounty on their head and you can roll it to search for clues as to who would be the person most profitable to collect said bounty from.

For example, you notice some shady individuals standing on a street corner. They have an air of confidence about them that makes it seem that they run things around here.

You roll your Profession Bounty Hunter and get an 18. From this roll, you gaher that the tattoos on their arms unite them to a local gang. The opposing gang would pay handsomely if you brought in one of their leaders. The law would pay, but not as much. You roll your profession again. 13. You determine that the amound of dots tattooed on their knuckles indicate rank and the guy furthest on the right must be a lutenant of sorts. They would pay good money for him.

There are a set of perinthesis next to profession. Just click in between them and write bounty hunter. The same for your craft as well. On your character sheet that is.

Sorry, I misunderstood how the track feat worked. I thought rangers were the only ones who could take it, but I guess it's just that they get it for free where as others have to take it as an additional feat. So that works just fine!
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
I filled in the parentheses, I am assuming the rolling is in game right? Also what is perform?
fathom123
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
ccgr wrote:I filled in the parentheses, I am assuming the rolling is in game right? Also what is perform?
Perform reflects how well you do. Lets say you play the guitar, you would roll perform to see how well your character is playing.

This is huge for bards.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
oh, okay
fathom123
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
For the first part of your question, yes. This is where the sweet dice roller comes in.
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
So, I think I've got my sheet's stats filled out. See my sig. (For your information, the first two equipment items are purely for role-playing purposes and serve no mechanical feature beyond that)

Anything I need to add, change or remove? I've only played 4e, and never a Wizard so this shall (heh heh, Arctic) be a new experience for me. I hope you can tolerate stupid questions about the difference in mechanics and classes. :P
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
DF32 - you have to fill in the ()'s for craft and profession
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
ArchAngel wrote:Lol, yup. Couldn't even tell.
Don't laugh. He's actually capable of logging into my laptop using the AlienSense face recognizer.

(That is not a joke.)
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
You should be proud your son has your stunningly good looks ;)
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
ccgr wrote:DF32 - you have to fill in the ()'s for craft and profession
I thought about that, but I'm not sure if I'd even use that skill so I left it blank.