Wargame Miniatures

For any and all pen and paper RPG discussions and games.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
Chozon1 wrote: I have all those things...my models still look bad. -_-
Dude, I'm gonna go full-on realtalk mode here, ok? When I look at the pics of your models, I'm impressed. Yes, I can tell you're new at it and are still improving, but you're a lot better than you realize. When I see pics of a couple of your models together I see a coherent color scheme, I see attention to details, I see really cool scenery, and I see an army that looks better than armies I've seen painted by people who have been doing it longer than you have, bro. Keep at it, you're further along the path than you give yourself credit for.
Chozon1 wrote: That said, great work! ^_^ They look awesome. And dang, 5k? That's going to be huge. XD
Thanks! And yeah it's a big force. I think I can barely reach 5,000 now but I still have a few hundred points' worth of models to paint so that I can have options. I'm working on rehabilitating a Land Raider now and taking progress pics.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
ArcticFox wrote:Dude, I'm gonna go full-on realtalk mode here, ok? When I look at the pics of your models, I'm impressed. Yes, I can tell you're new at it and are still improving, but you're a lot better than you realize. When I see pics of a couple of your models together I see a coherent color scheme, I see attention to details, I see really cool scenery, and I see an army that looks better than armies I've seen painted by people who have been doing it longer than you have, bro. Keep at it, you're further along the path than you give yourself credit for.
Thanks Arctic...I didn't mean to go emo-kid there, I'd just finished base coating my Forge guard and was...not entirely pleased with the results. :P
ArcticFox wrote:Thanks! And yeah it's a big force. I think I can barely reach 5,000 now but I still have a few hundred points' worth of models to paint so that I can have options. I'm working on rehabilitating a Land Raider now and taking progress pics.
Is this an apocalypse game, or just a really big one?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
It's an apocalypse game, which is good because there's no way I can stick to the FOC and still field that many points.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Ooh. Fun times. XD I've watched a few apocalypse battle reports, and it seems like that's when the crazy stuff get's brought.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
I don't have any crazy stuff in my army yet (though I almost bought a unit of centurions for $45 on Saturday) and I kinda prefer it that way. I like to win or lose through my tactical acumen, and not win because I used "broken" units.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
I was thinking more of the bigger models I love the gargantuan or titan models in 40K. :mrgreen: Seems like Apocalypse games bring those out in spades.

Though...I do love the Centurions too, and I can see why they could be broken. They are the way Terminators should be.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
I thought about getting some but I refuse to spend $75 for a box of 3 brand new. That's why I was so tempted to get that unit for $45.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Wintercross
I'd love to get a warhound titan, just because I love the look of the model, but alas It's hard to justify that kind of expense when you have a family =P

It's also hard to convince the wife when you still have some unfinished models....
She said I have to finish the ones I have before I can buy anything new =P
Thamerwaste
Noob
Noob
I had collected Lord of the Rings Warhammer for years, including the magazine series.

Ended up giving up due to not having anyone around to do anything with, as in rural New Zealand, people are more concerned with other things.

I have been recently looking into historical miniatures, and might start a World War 2 collection, as it will probably hold my interest for a few years.

Anyone had any experience in WW2 miniatures? Which brands are good? Seems the 2 main brands I can get are Bolt Action and Warlord.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Thamerwaste wrote: Anyone had any experience in WW2 miniatures? Which brands are good? Seems the 2 main brands I can get are Bolt Action and Warlord.
Bolt Action is the 28mm WWII game created by Warlord Games in England. It's great if you're used to that scale, which LOTR is very close to.

The other big one is Flames of War, which is a 15mm WWII game by Battlefront. That one's good for much larger battles. They're actually based in New Zealand so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding games!

I have small Soviet armies for both, but I've never actually played either one yet.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Thamerwaste
Noob
Noob
ArcticFox wrote:The other big one is Flames of War, which is a 15mm WWII game by Battlefront. That one's good for much larger battles. They're actually based in New Zealand so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding games!
Just looking at the range of Flames of War, it has a nice variety. Some of the items I might just look into for the novelty of it. I like the rail based units, and the Mine Flail Tank. Looks like a good set to just make a giant battlefield diorama.

Decently priced too, which is a problem for some things in this country.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Thamerwaste wrote:
ArcticFox wrote:The other big one is Flames of War, which is a 15mm WWII game by Battlefront. That one's good for much larger battles. They're actually based in New Zealand so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding games!
Just looking at the range of Flames of War, it has a nice variety. Some of the items I might just look into for the novelty of it. I like the rail based units, and the Mine Flail Tank. Looks like a good set to just make a giant battlefield diorama.

Decently priced too, which is a problem for some things in this country.
Not only that, but there are other manufacturers who make WWII miniatures in 15mm scale which work perfectly fine with Flames of War, and are even cheaper. I have a few T-34 tanks from Battlefront and from a less expensive manufacturer, and there's slightly less detail, but the tank is still perfect for the tabletop. The cost was bout 1/2 what the Battlefront ones cost.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Thamerwaste
Noob
Noob
ArcticFox wrote:Not only that, but there are other manufacturers who make WWII miniatures in 15mm scale which work perfectly fine with Flames of War, and are even cheaper. I have a few T-34 tanks from Battlefront and from a less expensive manufacturer, and there's slightly less detail, but the tank is still perfect for the tabletop. The cost was bout 1/2 what the Battlefront ones cost.
I might not be able to do that, as I am rather particular about strange things. If I mixed makers and the details were slightly off, it would bug me... :lol:

Also, while looking at other manufacturers, I found something else interesting http://www.forgedinbattle.co.uk/index.p ... uct_id=250 Miniature battle of Trafalgar ships. They are very much what I am into. Would be interesting to do a naval battle on table top.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
That's really awesome!

I have a copy of the starter set for Sails of Glory. I don't know how the scale compares with the one you found, but I think SoG is bigger (meaning bigger ship models but smaller battles)
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Thamerwaste
Noob
Noob
ArcticFox wrote:That's really awesome!

I have a copy of the starter set for Sails of Glory. I don't know how the scale compares with the one you found, but I think SoG is bigger (meaning bigger ship models but smaller battles)

Sails of Glory seems to be 1/1000, the ones I linked are 1/3000, so 3 times smaller.

Would make for a very challenging scenario with a full board of 1/3000's.