Wargame Miniatures

For any and all pen and paper RPG discussions and games.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Wintercross
Are you human?: Yes!
ArcticFox wrote:The fluff keeps that vague. In earlier versions, the Black Templars hated all psykers and absolutely would not ally with any of them, except for Grey Knights. It was like they were still following the Edict of Nikea just before the Horus Heresy when the Emperor forbade Marines to have Librarians anymore. It was kind of a contradiction, because like all Imperium forces, the Templars still had to rely on Navigators and Astropaths for their fleets to communicate and use FTL.

In the last couple codexes, they have mellowed out and will ally freely with psykers, but still have no Librarians of their own. The fluff presents a couple of theories, like a flaw in the gene seed that makes Templars never develop Psykers, or that they used to have them but some catastrophe happened that destroyed all Templar Librarians and they can never have them again.

Personally, I like the theory that says the Emperor's Champion in a Black Templars force is a latent psyker who is sent into the heaviest fighting to die honorably...
Well then, assuming my chapter was founded early on it is still possible they might have come from Black Templar gene seed then, since there is no definitive answer.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Yeah the fluff is flexible enough to allow lots of creative freedom.

The only problem you may have is if you want to play your army using Black Templars Chapter Tactics, you can't include Librarians in your primary detachment. Period. You could get creative and do a secondary detachment using Imperial Fists Chapter Tactics or something and have that Librarian be the HQ slot though.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
Wintercross
ArcticFox wrote:Yeah the fluff is flexible enough to allow lots of creative freedom.

The only problem you may have is if you want to play your army using Black Templars Chapter Tactics, you can't include Librarians in your primary detachment. Period. You could get creative and do a secondary detachment using Imperial Fists Chapter Tactics or something and have that Librarian be the HQ slot though.
well tbh I'm not using the latest codex anyway, I'm still on a couple back where you had the advantage and disadvantage traits you could pick to make your own chapter

I have 'trust your battle-brothers' trait which gives all my bolter armed units counter attack and true grit.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Yeah I never played out of that codex. Until the 6th ed version came out the Black Templars had their own book.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Wintercross
ArcticFox wrote:Yeah I never played out of that codex. Until the 6th ed version came out the Black Templars had their own book.
Yeah, I think the book I have might be 4th edition? I'm not sure...
Either way, when I bought the codex and rule book, they brought out the new one like a couple of months later and had removed the rules I based my chapter around so I was a bit annoyed and decided to not fork out more cash for another set of rules =P
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
I don't blame you... the new hardcover codices are ridiculous, and the 7th Ed codex came out only 2 years after the 6th Ed one, and barely changed anything.

Problem is if you want to play pick up games at your local gaming venue, you're stuck having to use the newest version of everything.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Wintercross
ArcticFox wrote:I don't blame you... the new hardcover codices are ridiculous, and the 7th Ed codex came out only 2 years after the 6th Ed one, and barely changed anything.

Problem is if you want to play pick up games at your local gaming venue, you're stuck having to use the newest version of everything.
Yeah, well the closest games workshop store is about 1.5-2 hour drive anyway and I don't really have a gaming group reasonably near by anyway =P

Friendly games tend to be a bit more malleable in the rules.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Without hijacking this thread, I started my own about painting my nativity scene. So much more respect for you guys painting stuff on a MUCH smaller scale. Kudos to you guys!
Auri1984
Noob
Noob
Awesome job! Love the detail!
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Been restructuring, reorganizing, re-casing and redoing my armies. Here's one of the first units to be completed from that effort. Others will be pictured as I get them done.

This squad is made entirely from old models from my extra parts boxes. The Rhino was in the process of becoming a Thousand Sons Rhino when I changed directions and went Black Templars with it. Most of the marines in Tactical Squad IV are from an old starter set, the sergeant is a metal mini I got from who knows where, and the guy with the Plasma Gun is another miscellaneous leftover guy.

Good way to expand the army without spending any new money :D

—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
nice job, love the colors and detail! Very resourceful!
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Thanks!

Here's another unit I just finished, cobbled together form OLD parts... when I say old, I mean these are some of the very same models my dad bought me when I was in high school in 1990. I stripped them and repainted them to go with my current army. Then I took the Rhino, which I had done before, and attached it to this unit so that the old unit rides the old vehicle and they match. The lascannon carried by the heavy weapon marine is actually from an old Imperial Guard unit I used to have.

—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
they look good as new! :)
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
They look great, and it's awesome that they have a history! XD

I really like the Rhino too...is it different from the newer models? It looks amazing.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Thanks! Yeah if you scroll up to my post before you can compare it with the newer version. (Newer is on top) I like them both, but the newer one does look more likely to have space enough inside for 10 marines!
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens