When will the game be finished?

All Minecraft posts go here
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!

When will the game be finished?

Postby Sstavix » Thu May 16, 2019 9:41 pm

I've been thinking about this off and on, and I think one of the reasons why I don't play Minecraft as often as many other players is because of the constant updates. There have been many times when I've constructed a home or explored an elaborate world... and then they announce a new update. So for me to see the new features, I have to start over with a fresh world. So it ends up being a never-ending cycle of creation and abandonment.

I suppose there's some sort of philosophical meaning in that alone....

In any case, I'm wondering if there will ever be a point where the developers finally toss their hands in the air and say "It's done! We've perfected Minecraft as much as we can!" But what then? Will people then want to move on to the next and latest game? Is the cycle of never-ending updates a way to keep players interested in the game?

What are your thoughts - especially if you're a much more regular player than I am? Do you like this game model of constant updates and restarting from scratch? Or do you hope that someday Minecraft will finally end as a "finished" product?

J.K. Riki

Re: When will the game be finished?

Postby J.K. Riki » Fri May 17, 2019 11:55 am

As a developer I can offer "the other side" if it's helpful. Basically in the modern gaming industry if you find a cash-cow, you milk it for pretty much "ever." Some companies do this with yearly updates but "new" games (EA - Madden) some with IPs (Nintendo - Mario) and some with never-ending patches and upgrades (like Minecraft). So basically until it is financially not reasonable to update it, they will never "finish" the game. They don't want to. They want to constantly get old players back in and new players thinking it is something new.

I don't particularly like the model, but it is where the industry is right now. Especially since new and original stuff generally doesn't do nearly as well as the old established types. People want what they're familiar with and will keep going to it even if it's not new or unique anymore. (Why we have so many Disney remakes now, as a matter of fact.)

Personally I liked Minecraft best a little after it released, before they made it more complicated. The added stuff is fun, but there was something so clean about the classic version.

BryanOnAPC
Noob
Noob

Postby BryanOnAPC » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:10 am

So being new to Minecraft as far as actually playing it, can I ask this..

Is this why some servers stay using an older version (i.e. 1.13.2) oppose to a new 1.14 to keep there hard work in there worlds operational?

I was also told it's to make sure the plugins or skins or something like that stays working as well.

JesusIsLord713
Minecraft Server Admin
Are you human?: Yes!

Postby JesusIsLord713 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:43 pm

Is this why some servers stay using an older version (i.e. 1.13.2) oppose to a new 1.14 to keep there hard work in there worlds operational?

I was also told it's to make sure the plugins or skins or something like that stays working as well.
The main reasons servers stay on an older version for a time is because the plugins the server runs have to be compatible with the new version in order to upgrade. Otherwise the plugin won't run when you try to update the server to a new version and you either have to A. Wait until the plugin updates to support the new version and then upgrade. Or B. Upgrade the server and leave the plugin behind. At least until it gets updated. For us we choose option A. because a lot of plugins we use are extremely important to our server and without them our server becomes very dull and makes it potentially easier for trolls to come on since we wouldn't have the proper plugins to deal with them.
I love playing Mario games! :D :D :D :D :D They are so awesome!!!

1.12 is here!

A former admin of Prism!!!

BryanOnAPC
Noob
Noob

Postby BryanOnAPC » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:22 pm

... because a lot of plugins we use are extremely important to our server and without them our server becomes very dull and makes it potentially easier for trolls to come on since we wouldn't have the proper plugins to deal with them.
Yea that would be rough to have an update then all of your security plugins stop working, leaving you vulnerable to the trolls an what not.

But Minecraft don;t have big updates like that all the time, do they? I mean like, I figure hotfixes and minor updates is inevitable.

manicmarauder
Noob
Noob

Postby manicmarauder » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:44 am

To answer the OP:
Well, first you have to decide what Minecraft is to you. If it's just a standard game where you want to tick off the list of objectives then that's simple:
(Optional) Build a hut
(Optional) Build a farm to make surviving easier
Hunt endermen for end perls.
Go to the end to get some blaze powder.
Craft eyes of ender.
Find a fortress.
Go to the end.
Kill the dragon to free the end.
Job Done.

That's the game portion "finished" if you approach it like any other game. Now you can move on to the next game. It doesn't really get better than that currently, no matter which version of the game you're running.

However if you really look at it, I don't think minecraft is a standard game. I mean, there are lots of games that try to copy the single player *game* portion of Minecraft and even do it better, but most people have never heard of them because they've focused in on how to make the game part better but missed the underlying point of the program. In so doing they make a game where people play it, complete it, and move on much as you suggested.

I would however submit that Minecraft isn't so much a game, though it does have a few patched in elements of gameplay, but instead is a tool for both individual and social artistic expression. If you look at it from say a painting perspective, then the randomly generated world is the canvas, the avatar is the paint brush, and the available blocks form the palette available to the artist. With both, you never 'finish' minecrafting any more than you could 'finish' painting. What you complete is an individual painting, then you get another canvas. Or in the case of Minecraft you finish your building on a world, then you can generate an entirely different world (canvas) to create on. What Minecraft brings to the table over painting is the fully interactive experience that is available to the 'player', though even that isn't needed if you look at how many videos exist online of completed builds being displayed like any other work of art.

Each new world is an individual canvas, with some being the ones only you work on (Singleplayer), and some being a communal wall where any number of people can work together on (Multiplayer), and some even allowing you to create a small portion, then make it available to others to do as they will with (downloaded maps). Each update expands the palette that is available to the artists, so later worlds have more options than earlier ones, but the basic premise is still the same.

I think that's one of the reasons they make all the older versions of the game available right there in the launcher. Because you don't *have* to abandon any of those creations. You may choose to, but you could just as easily choose to continue in say pre-alpha x until you've completed what you wanted to complete in that world, whether that be to free the end or to finally finish that castle you started 5 years ago. As long as you don't delete it (or the artists version throw the canvas out), then it will be waiting there patiently for you to come back to it whenever you wish.

On top of all that, Minecraft allows for people to create their own social structures between themselves that can have far reaching effect well beyond the simple canvas of a digital world.

So Minecraft is a 'finished' product in that it's already fully capable of allowing you to do all of the above. In any particular version (except the very early) you can go kill the dragon and free the end. Also, in any particular world you can build until your heart is content using the palette that is available to you in that version. It's also not 'finished' in that there are always ways to increase the palette available. What makes the difference is what you bring to the table, and what your own objectives are.

What we should be very glad of though is that MS didn't immediately start to do paid updates to try and milk the cow to death. For the moment they've continued the original Mojang idea of keeping all the updates free. So whether you bought the game 10 years ago or yesterday, you *still* have access to both the old clients and tools to properly view old creations, or the brand new clients and tools to create with the newest palette available. You even have the option to try and update old creations to have access to the new palette of blocks if you want, though there is risk to doing that.

nuggetman88
Noob
Noob

Postby nuggetman88 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:38 pm

well yeah

Return to “Minecraft”