your meaning of "No Weapon formed against me shall prosper."

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
BryanOnAPC
Noob
Noob
I posted this question on a Christian social media app and thought I'd try this crowd out.

I hear people today say "No weapon formed against me shall prosper." What does that actually mean?

I assume people are pulling it from Isaiah 54:17 and it sounds food for a popular saying today, but what does it mean to a follower of Christ today.

After posting this a few days ago on the Christian social media app I mentioned earlier, I realize I needed to point out 'what does people think the "shall prosper" part mean' in the verse, not just the 'no weapon formed against me' part. Does it mean no weapon (or thing coming agaisnt us" shall be successful, shall kill us, harm us or what?
Jarvis
Noob
Noob
While I am not quite on the same level as many people when it comes to having studied the Bible, here are my two cents:

The "No weapon formed against me shall prosper" I believe means that while we might have trials, persecution, even death by those who wish us harm, as long as we believe and accept Jesus as our savior, they can never force us to lose our salvation. So though our earthly bodies my perish and those that wielded the "weapon" may prosper temporarily in the end they will face judgement for what they have done, even if not on this earth.

Just my opinion of course, I may be wrong so if anyone thinks I am, feel free to refute me.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
I view it as you can attack my body, but not my soul
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
I think it's a commentary about the bleak outlook for those who contend against those who follow the Lord.

A "weapon" here can be literal, like a sword, or it can be more metaphorical, like a law designed to oppress the faithful. It's all over the Scriptures that those who fight against God's own are doomed. For example, here's a few verses from Isaiah 50.

6 I gave my back to the smiters, and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair: I hid not my face from shame and spitting.
7 For the Lord God will help me; therefore shall I not be confounded: therefore have I set my face like a flint, and I know that I shall not be ashamed.
8 He is near that justifieth me; who will contend with me? let us stand together: who is mine adversary? let him come near to me.
9 Behold, the Lord God will help me; who is he that shall condemn me? lo, they all shall wax old as a garment; the moth shall eat them up.

The weapon can hurt us, yes... but ultimately the adversaries of God will not prosper.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
BryanOnAPC
Noob
Noob
ArcticFox wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:05 am The weapon can hurt us, yes... but ultimately the adversaries of God will not prosper.

I agree. To me, that's exactly what that scripture is all about.

Unfortunately when I hear people say "No weapon formed against me shall prosper," in the context they say it, it might not line up to that explanation you gave.

Most people I mention the question too, they only answer the "weapon" part, but the "shall prosper" part.
J.K. Riki
Well you'd have to ask the person who was using it (the "against ME" part would refer to them). I've never used the phrase, so I don't really have a meaning for it. :)

As far as the verse from Isaiah, the first thing I do with any verse is put it into its context.

If anyone attacks you,

it is not from Me;

whoever assails you

will fall before you.

Behold, I have created the craftsman

who fans the coals into flame

and forges a weapon

fit for its task;

and I have created the destroyer

to wreak havoc.

No weapon formed against you shall prosper,

and you will refute every tongue that accuses you.

This is the heritage of the LORD’s servants,

and their vindication is from Me,”

declares the LORD.

Then I like to look up a bunch of commentaries and see what folks who have more education on the subject than I do have to say. (This doesn't mean they're right, only that they may have insights I didn't consider.)
BryanOnAPC
Noob
Noob
J.K. Riki wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:34 pm Well you'd have to ask the person who was using it (the "against ME" part would refer to them). I've never used the phrase, so I don't really have a meaning for it. :)

Yea, I agree. That was my attempt, to ask the question to those who use it and/or people who knew others who use it. More so like what does it mean to people as it relates to them today oppose to what the meaning and context of the original scripture. I really didn't mean it as a bible study topic or a scripture that I need help understanding.

I figured it was a good conversation piece so I went with it :D

Thanks for responding and keeping the conversation going.