Being a Stumbling Block to my Dad...

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ImperialR
So to explain this situation, I have to um...Go into some backstory.

So when I was real little, me and my brother had Muppet action figures, and my dad read Toyfare magazine, which it had hundreads of "twisted toyfare theater" comics over the years (took pictures of toys they had, and made storylines, stuff from spiderman having cobra from G.I.Joe living in his wall like mice, a group of Imperial soldiers go to the Genesis planet to rescue Darth Vader, Super heroes sitting around playing Poker and sharing their origin stories...I could go on) But one month, the comic was called "Death by Muppet" which was a day in the life of Kermit trying to manage the muppet show, along with some other stuff that happens (Beaker realizing they were puppets and going on a rampage until they had to sedate him, Statler being assassinated in the muppet show balcony by Crazy Harry) And we did our own version of it as a home movie. My father did his impresion of the Swedish Chef muppet.

Years later, we did a few short films, Cooking with the Swedish Chef (kills kermit to make frogs legs)Talking it up with the Swedish Chef (Interview Show) (Crazy Harry blows up the Muppet studios) Muppet News (filling in was the Swedish Chef, and on site reporting at the remains of the muppet studios) Pigs in Space starring the Swedish Chef (Encounters Gonzo flying in space, sends him out the airlock) Muppet Labs (Swedish Chef shows up, and brings Kermit back from the dead, then later killing him again for frogs legs)

TL:DR We made some weird short movies with my Muppet Figures.

Unfortunately...With the Toyfare dialog there were...Curse words my father said for comedy during filming, and he throws in such during our movies. From our Peanuts "The Great Pumpkin Strikes Back", where Charlie Brown gets drunk and kicks Lucy in the head instead of trying to kick the football. To our over 40 minute Swedish Chef Christmas Carol, with the Chef as Ebenezer Scrooge, the humor is well...I usually was a straight man for his humor.

Our last film was the Hobbit staring the Swedish Chef, (Smaug talking like Nixon, Thorin being a mobster dwarf, and let's say...femenine sounding elves.) Another issue was my father getting frustrated and angry during the movie making.

TL:DR Making these films causes my father to use sinful humor.

Now, the issue. We had played around with making another movie, we wanted to follow up Hobbit with the Lord of the Rings trilogy, we made hobbit before I got saved. We even thought about doing the War of the Worlds. But, I...I don't want to cause him to sin, but he misses doing it with me, and it's one of the few projects we can do together anymore. He bought me the scripts for both of these films, and we got stuff together, had ideas, I just today thought of a funny thing to do with the third LOTR film...

...My dad has a heart condition, and I fear he may not be with us for more than 2-3 more years. It would make him happy and he likes the finished product, but I know it would be me being a stumbling block to him...My mother doesn't want us to do anymore...He does...Any advice?

Thank you for your time.

God bless you.

-Simon.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
Is it absolutely essential that the anger and cussing be part of the production? Is there no way to do the movies without the behavior issues?
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
ImperialR
ArcticFox wrote:Is it absolutely essential that the anger and cussing be part of the production? Is there no way to do the movies without the behavior issues?
No I don't mean in between takes, I mean he says them in character while filming and it being part of the movie to make it "funny".
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
ImperialR wrote: No I don't mean in between takes, I mean he says them in character while filming and it being part of the movie to make it "funny".
That's what I mean. Might he be willing to tone that down in order to make this work?
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Woiv
Minecraft Server Admin
Are you human?: Not likely
Essentially just be straight forward with him, explain your reason, thats what my dad taught me. Be loving to him with the time thats left as you stated, I'd start directing him to christ (If he is not already) and give him a bible and put tabs in the bible with situation he's dealing with so he can open it up and focus on the bible verses, bring him to a church (If he's already not going to one) and tell him Jesus is the only path. Overall just be a shining light to him!

Thanks!
-Cole
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

o CCGR forum moderator.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Woiv and ArcticFox said what I would have. See if he's willing to tone it down.
ImperialR
Woiv wrote:Essentially just be straight forward with him, explain your reason, thats what my dad taught me. Be loving to him with the time thats left as you stated, I'd start directing him to christ (If he is not already) and give him a bible and put tabs in the bible with situation he's dealing with so he can open it up and focus on the bible verses, bring him to a church (If he's already not going to one) and tell him Jesus is the only path. Overall just be a shining light to him!

Thanks!
-Cole
Well...*sigh* He is a Christian. He went to church as a kid, but he stopped at one point, and well...He is a smart man, smarter than I am, and he takes more secular views of things, like not believing Jesus didn't sin, not seeing the book a revelation as prophecy, being alright with seeing nudity...He read lots of stuff, conspiracy books, alien books and there was one that was hidden behind others in my older brother's room, that he wanted my mom to "get rid of" once we found it. (Hopefully not anything occult?) Also he has a freemason Bible.

...Still like this even though he had a near death experience, and essentially saw what he could comprehend of hell. That was years before I was even born though, and may have been before my brother was born.
Woiv
Minecraft Server Admin
Are you human?: Not likely
ImperialR wrote:
Woiv wrote:Essentially just be straight forward with him, explain your reason, thats what my dad taught me. Be loving to him with the time thats left as you stated, I'd start directing him to christ (If he is not already) and give him a bible and put tabs in the bible with situation he's dealing with so he can open it up and focus on the bible verses, bring him to a church (If he's already not going to one) and tell him Jesus is the only path. Overall just be a shining light to him!

Thanks!
-Cole
Well...*sigh* He is a Christian. He went to church as a kid, but he stopped at one point, and well...He is a smart man, smarter than I am, and he takes more secular views of things, like not believing Jesus didn't sin, not seeing the book a revelation as prophecy, being alright with seeing nudity...He read lots of stuff, conspiracy books, alien books and there was one that was hidden behind others in my older brother's room, that he wanted my mom to "get rid of" once we found it. (Hopefully not anything occult?) Also he has a freemason Bible.

...Still like this even though he had a near death experience, and essentially saw what he could comprehend of hell. That was years before I was even born though, and may have been before my brother was born.
"Seen"? Seen what?
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

o CCGR forum moderator.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
ImperialR wrote: Well...*sigh* He is a Christian. He went to church as a kid, but he stopped at one point, and well...He is a smart man, smarter than I am, and he takes more secular views of things
Not to sidetrack, but NEVER equate intelligence with secularism. NEVER do it.

Your dad is probably struggling precisely because of that experience he had. My suggestion is to try to get him to agree to keep the movies you make family friendly. That isn't an unreasonable request.

Then, invite him to pray with you when you say your normal daily prayers (If you don't pray daily already, this is a good time to start). If he's spiritually ready and open, that will help him back to a stronger spiritual place. At the end of the day it's something he has to do for himself, but you can certainly help him get motivated.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens