A Moral Dilema (Involves Star Wars.)

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ImperialR
Salutations people,

I have an issue, but let me provide background for this.

I used to play Star Wars: Empire at War Gold Edition sooo much. one of my favorite Star Wars games, it or battlefront 2 would probably be favorite of them. But I deleted it due to an issue. Does killing a character in a game, who was played by an actor in a film or tv, count as killing them in your heart?

Example: Han Solo was played by Harrison Ford. if I kill Han Solo in a game, am I by extension, killing the image of Harrison Ford, and by extension thereof, committing murder in my heart? Because Luke, Han, Vader, etc. Are in-game representations of these characters, in line with their depiction as with these actors, and even using their voice acting from the films at times, being killed in-game by me, akin to murder in the heart?

I first had this issue with games using motion capture (Cough, Twin Snakes, Cough) because sometimes it is straight up the spitting image of the person who did the motion capture, and sometimes even their voice.

I would like some opinions.

Thank you for your time.

God bless you, and show you his will for your life.

Simon.
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
Hi, couple quick notes from the mods:

First: You made two threads with very similar titles and content in a short amount of time. As per Rule 7, I deleted the earlier post, leaving this one.

Second: This feels like it would fit in better with the "Spiritual Matters" forum over "General Gaming Discussion." As such, I have moved the topic there.

Thanks!
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
It depends on what's in your heart.

For most of us, we're fully aware that it's all just a bunch of computer generated images and entities, so if you're in game and point your blaster at Han Solo, it's all make believe and there's no part of you that thinks it's actually killing a living person. For all the difference it makes, you could be splattering Han with a strawberry Jell-O gun.

That said, if you find yourself enjoying the prospect of killing a real person and a game like this serves as a fantasy of doing it, then I'd say you have some prayer and introspection to do.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
Sstavix
CCGR addict
ArcticFox wrote:It depends on what's in your heart.
Exactly this. Do you feel it's actually killing? Is God telling you that it's the same as killing? Have you prayed about it?

The way I view it, it's like acting. If you start the game again from the beginning, Han Solo will still be there. You're simply playing a role in the story, much like you would be if this were a stage production. If we're judged by the actions we take on stage, then there are a lot of people who are in trouble for betraying and crucifying Jesus in passion plays!

So search your heart and see how it feels. Pray about it. Then make your choice. :)
ClaireDaAngel
Noob
Noob
I agree, it's different to "kill" a character that you feel like you know. I wouldn't like that either.
REcurve64
Noob
Noob
to me you are killing the imaginary character not the actor. do you feel actual hatred for Han or Harrison ford.

if your playing paintball and shoot your friend are you killing him?
if you were an actor and "killed" a character in a tv series is that the same as murdering them in your heart?
ImperialR
REcurve64 wrote:to me you are killing the imaginary character not the actor. do you feel actual hatred for Han or Harrison ford.

if your playing paintball and shoot your friend are you killing him?
if you were an actor and "killed" a character in a tv series is that the same as murdering them in your heart?
See I'm starting to consider buying a certain game but the game series uses motion capture now like Mad Max, Rebel Galaxy, and others, so I feel...Weird with that, I mean maybe I can get by with that the motion capture isn't done by the person who is voicing them usually?
ImperialR
ClaireDaAngel wrote:I agree, it's different to "kill" a character that you feel like you know. I wouldn't like that either.
the whole issues has taken a bite out of my pool of games I play, no Metal Gear, Empire at War, Rebel Galaxy, Lego Marvel Avengers (yeah...)
ImperialR
It also bugs me with games using Motion Capture...So that rules out some more modern titles.
Distavo
Noob
Noob
I don't know your heart, and motive is what would make this right or wrong.
It is not wrong for me to kill a character in Battlefront. It's the same as playing Red Light/Green Light when we were little children. I catch you, and send you back to the line. I happen to call catching 'shooting', but it's pixels on a screen ... and harms no one. The player has to restart, but isn't even put out of the game!

Monopoly is much harsher. If you take someone's money in that game, they are out of the game completely and have to go fix snacks in the kitchen.
ImperialR
Distavo wrote:I don't know your heart, and motive is what would make this right or wrong.
It is not wrong for me to kill a character in Battlefront. It's the same as playing Red Light/Green Light when we were little children. I catch you, and send you back to the line. I happen to call catching 'shooting', but it's pixels on a screen ... and harms no one. The player has to restart, but isn't even put out of the game!

Monopoly is much harsher. If you take someone's money in that game, they are out of the game completely and have to go fix snacks in the kitchen.
I just have a problem when it isn't even a live person, if it's just taking down Luke Skywalker or The End.

And where is the fun in the Monopoly where you get a credit card and no paper money to stack? :P
Distavo
Noob
Noob
If it's wrong in your heart, then you don't get to play that game.
ImperialR
Distavo wrote:If it's wrong in your heart, then you don't get to play that game.
I don't know...It's confusing sometimes.