Which church should I attend?

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
bmanyugioh
Noob
Noob
Hi, guys. I'm a long-time atheist seeking to convert to Christianity - I've picked up a bible (Several translations, as I have noticed that there is no consensus as to which one I should use), and started to read it. I've decided that going it all alone (with the internet's help, of course) won't be enough. I'd like to immerse myself in the study and practice of Christianity - And what better place to do that than church?

Where I live (Bible belt, USA), I have several choices - Baptist, Methodist, Pentecostal, Jehovah's Witness, LDS, Church of Christ, and (I think) a single Catholic church. If I can bother my friends and family to ferry me across the ~10 minute distance, I also have the opportunity to start attending an Orthodox church.

Thing is, I have no idea which of these is best, for me. I'm drawn to the Orthodox church, and yet all of my church experience comes from Baptist and Catholic churches. I've never been inside a Methodist church, nor do I have even the most basic understanding of what "Church of Christ" members believe. My experience with Jehovah's Witnesses and LDS members comes primarily from missionaries and classmates, and I've only ever even spoken with a single person about his being a Pentecostal. I couldn't tell you very much about the differences between most of these groups (And, more importantly, how they worship), let alone which of these is best.

Help me, guys. Which of these churches do you think I should attend?

EDIT: I'm not 100% certain that this is the correct place to put this question, or that it is an appropriate question. Please, if I've done something wrong, inform me. I will probably have a bunch of questions like this, and I'll want to know how to ask them :mrgreen:
Comotto
The question is 'Which church does God want you to attend?' Using the forum feedback, researching the churches, and praying for discernment from God would be the process and opinion I suggest.
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
bmanyugioh wrote:
EDIT: I'm not 100% certain that this is the correct place to put this question, or that it is an appropriate question. Please, if I've done something wrong, inform me. I will probably have a bunch of questions like this, and I'll want to know how to ask them :mrgreen:
I don't see anything wrong with the question - seems like a great place to post it! As for an answer, how about... all of the above?

Seriously. When my wife and I were "church-shopping" after a family crisis, we did attend several different branches. We went to see how the people behaved, and how the church felt. We could tell if the Holy Spirit was strong in the church or not by the warmth and comfort we felt, if any.

Also, keep in mind the advice that Jesus presented in Matthew 7:16. "By their fruits ye shall know them." It's one thing to hear what members believe, but quite another to see them put these practices into action - or not, as the case may be. There were a couple churches that my wife and I nearly literally ran from after seeing the way they behaved once they were away from the church.

Ultimately, though, it comes down to this - do you have faith enough to ask God Himself which church you should attend? Comotto touched on this, but I will echo it as well. God knows where He wants you, so you should ask, with full faith and intent, where He wants you. And just as importantly, be receptive for His response. It may come as a stray thought or a feeling like a voice is whispering in your ear, or a warm feeling, or a sudden flash of a long-forgotten memory. It's always been a long-held belief of mine - even before I became a member of my church, that God speaks to every single one of us. We just have forgotten how to listen.

Finally, if you do have any questions specifically about my spiritual journey, or the LDS faith, feel free to ask or PM me. I can try to answer the best that I can. :)

Good luck, and God bless you!
bmanyugioh
Noob
Noob
Comotto wrote:The question is 'Which church does God want you to attend?' Using the forum feedback, researching the churches, and praying for discernment from God would be the process and opinion I suggest.
Thank you very much, Comotto. I have been doing a little research, though certainly not as much as something as important as this deserves. Although, I have to ask what "forum feedback" means. I do not understand. (I'm probably just overthinking it, or something. I have a habit of doing so)
Sstavix wrote:I don't see anything wrong with the question - seems like a great place to post it! As for an answer, how about... all of the above?
Thank you very much, Sstavix. I do suppose the best way for me to discover the differences between the churches would be to attend and see for myself. While there are truly very many churches for me to attend, visiting each one is certainly within the realm of possibility.

That being said - I have one more burning question about churches. You see, my experience with them is very limited. I've attended a couple of Catholic churches with my grandparents, and I spent a year or two at a Baptist church with my friends and classmates (Not doing anything church related, sadly). It's always been the same formula, for me - Visit on Sunday, attend a service, leave. What I need to know is this - Are there any churches that will allow me to come in and pray or ask questions during the week? I ask because I my schedule is somewhat chaotic, at this point in my life, and I'll most likely want to visit more than once a week. Not to mention, it'll certainly help with determining which church to attend, if I can do more than 1 a week :lol:

I understand that the answer may vary from church to church, but it would help if I knew of even one church that typically allowed you to visit and pray or ask questions during the week. Thank you.
Sstavix
CCGR addict
bmanyugioh wrote: That being said - I have one more burning question about churches. You see, my experience with them is very limited. I've attended a couple of Catholic churches with my grandparents, and I spent a year or two at a Baptist church with my friends and classmates (Not doing anything church related, sadly). It's always been the same formula, for me - Visit on Sunday, attend a service, leave. What I need to know is this - Are there any churches that will allow me to come in and pray or ask questions during the week? I ask because I my schedule is somewhat chaotic, at this point in my life, and I'll most likely want to visit more than once a week. Not to mention, it'll certainly help with determining which church to attend, if I can do more than 1 a week :lol:

I understand that the answer may vary from church to church, but it would help if I knew of even one church that typically allowed you to visit and pray or ask questions during the week. Thank you.
That does indeed vary from church to church. If a church has a pastor or a groundskeeper who lives on the premises, then it may indeed be open nearly all the time for those who want to come in and pray. They may even have office hours when the pastor or other church leader is available, but not conducting a service. I know that one Pentecostal church I attended had two services scheduled on Sundays, and a third one on Wednesday evenings, so if you're looking for formal worship services, there may be a few churches in your area that do offer multiple services a week.

I don't think any of the LDS churches have this (they don't in my area), but the church directory is open to all members, and many times the weekly program will include the phone number of the local bishop and his counselors, as well as missionaries. So even if the church isn't open, there are people that you can call and talk to.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Before visiting a church I check out their website first to make sure I believe with their core beliefs and doctrines. Some churches are more modern than others and while I have been to some concert performance style churches my church plays some contemporary Christian songs along with classic hymns. So you'll have to see which ones are a good fit for your worship style and get familiar with the pastor's teach style. Some churches don't hold back while others don't want to offend people. There's so much variety even within denominations. I to go non-denomination church.
bmanyugioh
Noob
Noob
Sstavix wrote:That does indeed vary from church to church. If a church has a pastor or a groundskeeper who lives on the premises, then it may indeed be open nearly all the time for those who want to come in and pray. They may even have office hours when the pastor or other church leader is available, but not conducting a service. I know that one Pentecostal church I attended had two services scheduled on Sundays, and a third one on Wednesday evenings, so if you're looking for formal worship services, there may be a few churches in your area that do offer multiple services a week.

I don't think any of the LDS churches have this (they don't in my area), but the church directory is open to all members, and many times the weekly program will include the phone number of the local bishop and his counselors, as well as missionaries. So even if the church isn't open, there are people that you can call and talk to.
Once more, thank you. I want to visit a church, but I just wasn't aware if it was a bad thing to try and visit any day other than Saturday/Sunday. :lol:

Like I said, not a lot of experience. Since you mention it, I wonder if I can visit a church now, on a Wednesday? I'll actually look to this now. First on my list is a Methodist church, as it is very close to me. I'll go and see when I can visit it now (after I finish this post :lol:)
ArcticFox wrote:James 1:5
Thank you, ArcticFox. In response to all who have suggested that I turn to God for council - Truthfully, I have felt (what I truly believe to be) God move me towards that Orthodox church I mentioned. I feel almost silly, admitting it (I've been an "atheist" for more than a decade). But I truly believe that in the same stroke that brought me to the decision that Christianity was for me, and that Christ truly is my savior - I was being pushed towards that Orthodox church. I don't know enough to tell you about what Orthodox Christians believe, or why I should attend... but I do know that of all the churches I have access to, I am almost drawn to the Orthodox one. I am filled with the belief that this choice is not my own. I apologize if all this sounds weird.
ccgr wrote:Before visiting a church I check out their website first to make sure I believe with their core beliefs and doctrines.
Thank you, ccgr. Sadly, I don't know what I am looking for. :lol:
I don't really have a "worship style", as of right now, and I'm not certain which one is "right" for me. I figure I should visit each of these churches to see how other people do it, and work out what is right for me.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
If you visit a Church and say to yourself "whoah this is weird" then it's probably not right for you. ;)

Many good size churches are open during the week while smaller ones are usually not.

Sounds like the holy spirit is leading you towards that Orthodox church, check it out!
Comotto
I'm not sure what religion you are referring to at your Orthodox church. Most Catholic churches are open all week. Mass is celebrated daily at a morning service. Various other activities occur in the evening and like the others mentioned have staff available 24 /7. The parish offices are usually open Monday - Friday mornings and afternoons. Dogma or precepts are the same for all, although some variation from conservative to liberal does exist. Catholic Greek Orthodox ( Eastern rite ) probably the most conservative.

My prayers for your journey.

CARZ
bmanyugioh
Noob
Noob
ccgr wrote:If you visit a Church and say to yourself "whoah this is weird" then it's probably not right for you. ;)

Many good size churches are open during the week while smaller ones are usually not.

Sounds like the holy spirit is leading you towards that Orthodox church, check it out!
Thanks, ccgr. I wasn't quite able to make it to that Methodist church, yesterday, but I am feeling like I need to hightail it over to that Orthodox church.

I think that there are really only 2 "good size" churches in my area, 1 Baptist and 1 Methodist. I'll make it a point to see them about the week.
Comotto wrote:I'm not sure what religion you are referring to at your Orthodox church.
Thank you, Comotto. While I wish I could just link their website, that would be giving a VERY specific location. They are a parish of the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America, which I CAN link to. http://www.antiochian.org/
Comotto wrote:Most Catholic churches are open all week.
Absolutely splendid! I always did love visiting Catholic churches.
Comotto wrote:Mass is celebrated daily at a morning service.
Feel free to tell me to go and look this up on my own, but what is Mass?
Comotto
Mass is the continuing celebration of the 'Last Supper' where Jesus commanded his apostles / disciples " do this in remembrance of Me." It is the gathering of the faithful to pray, give thanks and receive the Body and Blood of Christ as He instructed. I believe it is the same for both Roman and Orthodox Catholics. Orthodox hold the Pope in high esteem with their Patriarch. Also called the 'Eastern' rite because it was established by the apostles that traveled to the area around Greece as opposed to the ones that went to the area around Rome.

Peace
CARZ
Comotto
By the way, size isn't everything. :-)

CARZ
RoosterOnAStick
bmanyugioh wrote:
Thank you, Comotto. While I wish I could just link their website, that would be giving a VERY specific location. They are a parish of the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America, which I CAN link to. http://www.antiochian.org/
Ah nice!

I myself am Orthodox and I am familiar with this archdiocese and it is legit. It was actually the one I started off at when I first became Orthodox about eight years ago. I was in the Mid-Atlantic Diocese and eventually I wound up at a different Orthodox Parish but this is where I first learned about it.

Now to be clear, I can't promise that I have answers for any given question you may have about the Orthodox Church, but maybe I can try to direct you someplace that might. In a fair number cases I would recommend asking the priest of that Parish and some of the parishioners there over some unknown face on the internet. :wink: Just remember that anything I would say is of course Orthodoxy as I personally understand it, which is always worth double checking (for both of our benefits).

As far as services go, most churches usually should have the Sunday Divine Liturgy (aka Mass) and usually some kind of brief prayer service beforehand. On Saturday evenings there is another service prior to that, either a Vespers or Vigil service depending on the parish. People usually stick around for a bit afterwards, possibly for a reading of Psalms and/or confession. Some churches have additional services during the week while others do not. There will definitely be midweek services for certain special occasions such as major feast days for example. Other churches may do more than that but in this country anyway it varies from place to place. That's about it as far as general services go.

I'm not sure how much you have read into the Orthodox Church so far, but there are a few good introductory resources if you want to look into it further. In particular, there is an English Bishop, Metropolitan Kallistos Ware, who has a lot of good introductory videos and books. There are other theologians as well as the readings from the Ancient and Modern Church fathers of course.

Whatever you ultimately end up doing is totally up to you, as long as you've made an informed choice and God has guided you there then that's what matters most. If you wish to come to Orthodoxy though, our doors are always open . :D
“If the history of the 20th Century proved anything, it proved that however bad things were, human ingenuity could usually find a way to make them worse.” - Theodore Dalrymple
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
ccgr wrote:Sounds like the holy spirit is leading you towards that Orthodox church, check it out!
Ditto. (I could probably make my whole post just by quoting several here. XD)

Though yes, regardless of church, the Bible will always be there to act as a plumb line to help test accuracy. ^-^
Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

1 Corinthians 13; remember it always.