When, if Ever, is it Okay to Judge Someone's Faith?

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
I'm sure Dirk means well, and I always respect someone who is straightforward about what they think. That said, I also appreciate the comments by ccgr and Rooster on this, and that prettymuch sums it all up. I don't really have anything to add to the side topic, so I'll just discuss the relevant section.
Dirkdigdeep wrote:
According to scriptures we can judge: MEN, ANGELS, 1Co_6:3 Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life? the CHURCH,1Co_5:12 For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within? OURSELVES, 1Co_11:31 For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. , DOCTRINES, 1Co_11:13 Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?, PAUL'S writings,1Co_10:15 I speak as to wise men; judge ye what I say. , and prophets, 1Co_14:29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge., the WORLD, ALL THINGS, 1Co 2:15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man. . Each of these terms are associated with the word "JUDGE" in the scriptures. 1Co_6:2 Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters? 1Co 6:4 If then ye have judgments of things pertaining to this life, set them to judge who are least esteemed in the church.
So it seems like a list of verses grabbed from a concordance or topical guide. I think these verses, while all using the word 'judge' in them, aren't necessarily using it in the same context or making the same point. Would you care to elaborate a bit on your comments here?

Dirkdigdeep wrote: Sadly though, there are 4 words in the Greek that are translated to this one single English word. AND they do not all mean the same thing. The two primary words mean : 1) to pass sentence as a judge to judicially apply Or invoke a punishment or sentence as a magistrate. ( 1 Cor 4: 5) and, 2) to spiritually discern or righteously comprehend, to see clearly and properly the significance, meaning, intent or properties of a person, thing, words, etc. . ( John 7: 24, 1Cor. 2: 15)
When Jesus was speaking to those "HYPOCRITES" in the passage where he says judge not ...lest ye be judged >>> FOR WITH WHAT MEASURE YE METE OUT , SO SHALL IT BE METED OUT TO YOU AGAIN. He is NOT saying we cannot spiritually discern something. he simply warning those wicked men that their unrighteous judgements of others will be held against them on judgement day. ( John 12: 48) For Jesus said later: John 7:24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment. Does he contradict himself therefore? Not if you act like a good Berean and study the scriptures.
Part of this is what I was saying initially, so we can agree on that much. By that I mean the Savior's warning not to judge unrighteously.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
Dirkdigdeep
Noob
Noob
The verses speak for themselves are contextually used and mean what they say . They require no explanation when used in the subject and context in which they are posted . AS Christians ( real Christians) we can judge because God does it and reveals it to us as righteous judgement (1 Cor 2: 9-16) those verses prove we can judge another persons faith, doctrines and salvation . I did NOT say i can pass sentence LIKE a judge , i said i can judge (spiritually discern) if they are saved . We Must be able to do this or else how can we do THIS> 2Jn 1:9-11 Whosoever transgresseth, A( is in sin by not abiding in) and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. (10) If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: (11) For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds. ? OR This> 2Co 6:14-18 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? (15) And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? (16) And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. (17) Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, (18) And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty. Or this> Tit 3:10-11 A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject; (11) Knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself. Or this> Tit 3:10-11 A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject; (11) Knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself. or this> 2Ti 3:1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2Ti 3:2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
2Ti 3:3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
2Ti 3:4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
2Ti 3:5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
Lets NOT play games , not everyone who says Lord Lord shall enter into the KINGDOM.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
Dirkdigdeep wrote:The verses speak for themselves are contextually used and mean what they say . They require no explanation when used in the subject and context in which they are posted.
Then kindly use them in their proper context, please. If you're going to cite scripture in the course of a discussion like this, then yes you do have a certain obligation to explain your point and why you use them, otherwise your arguments won't be taken seriously by others. People don't interpret Scripture consistently. It's unfortunate but it's true. Otherwise there wouldn't be thousands of denominations around the world, with thousands of different interpretations of the same book.
Dirkdigdeep wrote: AS Christians ( real Christians) we can judge because God does it and reveals it to us as righteous judgement (1 Cor 2: 9-16) those verses prove we can judge another persons faith, doctrines and salvation.
These verses aren't about judging people, brother.

1 Corinthians 2:9-16(King James Version):

9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? but we have the mind of Christ.

A close reading of these verses teaches us that God will give us understanding through revelation by the Spirit. In other words, understanding of God's Word comes not by the understanding of men, but by God. The judgement referred to here is the ability to discern the truth about the meaning of God's Word.

This applies when we hear the absurd arguments floating around today's culture where people are trying to say that God is okay with homosexual behavior and same sex marriage, etc. To discern the truth, one must rely on understanding that comes by the Holy Spirit. These verses are not a license to pass judgement on other people.
Dirkdigdeep wrote: I did NOT say i can pass sentence LIKE a judge , i said i can judge (spiritually discern) if they are saved . We Must be able to do this or else how can we do THIS> 2Jn 1:9-11 Whosoever transgresseth, A( is in sin by not abiding in) and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. (10) If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: (11) For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.
Well, this doesn't provide a means to judge the Salvation of others. This is very clearly a warning about avoiding false doctrine preached by those who are clearly not living according to God's Word. I would say this is an excellent example of how we can know the Episcopalians are falling away by embracing homosexual preachers and same sex marriage.
Dirkdigdeep wrote: OR This> 2Co 6:14-18 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? (15) And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? (16) And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. (17) Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, (18) And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.
A warning about keeping one's self separate from those who do not believe. This is to void being made unclean through association. So yes, we do need to use discernment there.
Dirkdigdeep wrote: Or this> Tit 3:10-11 A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject; (11) Knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself.
These two verses only make sense within the context of the rest of the Chapter. Otherwise how can someone know what Paul means by the "first and second adnomintion?" :)

Titus 3 teaches how to live and deal with each other. Verse 1 tells us to "Put them in mind to be subject to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates, to be ready to every good work," and verse 2 says "To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men." It then reminds us that we're saved by Grace and not by good works.
Dirkdigdeep wrote: or this> 2Ti 3:1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2Ti 3:2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
2Ti 3:3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
2Ti 3:4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
2Ti 3:5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
All true, but I fail to see how this proves what you're saying about judging people.
Dirkdigdeep wrote: Lets NOT play games , not everyone who says Lord Lord shall enter into the KINGDOM.
That's right. They won't.

The verses you cited are great verses but they aren't what teach us how to discern who true followers of Christ are. I believe the first post in this thread does so.

Matthew 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens