13 surprising Mormon facts

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
Saw this on Verizon's homepage when I was working with my grandma's PC remotely

http://www.patheos.com/Galleries/Surpri ... rmon-Facts

What do our resident Mormons think of this?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
"Mormonism has entered the mainstream consciousness. 2012 had not one but two Mormon presidential candidates, and the "Book of Mormon" is a Broadway smash hit. Still, many of us remain in the dark about the Mormon faith."

I wouldn't consider the "Book of Mormon" musical to be relevant to a discussion about LDS... It was created by the guys behind South Park and is mocking, not faithful.

"Mormons are Christians who believe that God was once an ordinary human being who lived on earth like any other man."

Sort of. That makes it sound like He lived here in ancient times or something. Not the case.

"A recent study found that Mormons can identify other Mormons by looking at their skin texture. Mormons typically abstain from caffeine, alcohol, cigarettes, and other lifestyle choices that can affect skin appearance."

I didn't know that, but it makes sense to me! :D

"It's one of the fastest growing religions in America. Right-wing talk show host Glenn Beck is a high-profile convert to the Church."

Knew that. As I recall, it helped him overcome his alcoholism.

"The average age of marriage for Mormons is approximately 23, less than the U.S. average of 27."

Higher than I expected :lol:

"Black Mormon males could not enter the priesthood until 1978."

True, though at the beginning Joseph Smith did ordain black men the same as white. I think that got changed under Brigham Young who was... less progressive in his thinking.

"The Church abandoned polygamy in 1890, but it was not until nearly two decades later that authorized plural marriages ceased completely. The vast majority of Mormons today do not support polygamy."

I would say 0% of actual LDS churchmembers practice it. There are splinter groups who do and still call themselves Mormons, but if you're a member of the LDS Church and do it, get ready to be excommunicated.

"The CIA and the FBI have Mormon recruitment programs. Mormons' strong morals make them ideal candidates for law enforcement and intelligence careers."

I've heard that.

""The whole armor of God" is a Biblical metaphor used to describe the underwear that some Mormons wear. The garments—a white undershirt, and white boxer brief-style shorts or pants—are adorned with symbols to remind Mormons of their covenants."

Never heard that metaphor.

"Mormons teach that humans are gods and goddesses in embryo, spirit children of God who have entered into mortality in order to gain a physical body."

The first part of that isn't official doctrine. The second part is.

"Brigham Young, Joseph Smith’s successor, actually proposed the creation of a Mormon state, the State of Deseret, which would have stretched from Idaho to southern California and from mid-Colorado to eastern California."

True. And it shrunk as the Federal Government grabbed more and more land because valuable resources were discovered there and people didn't like the idea of it being under Mormon control. When it was finally accepted as a state, it was named by Congress for an Indian tribe.

"Mormon founder and Prophet Joseph Smith taught that there was life on the moon."

He didn't teach that. It was just a common belief at the time and Smith believed that one day Missionaries would go there to spread the Gospel.

"Joseph Smith believed that the Garden of Eden was in Jackson County, Missouri."

Sure.

"Mormons believe that the devil and Jesus are brothers."

Yep, but then we believe EVERY SINGLE BEING God ever created are brothers and sisters 'cause, you know, we were all created by the same God. So that makes Jesus our brother too.

... and Lucifer. *sigh* there's at least one in every family, isn't there? :?
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
Sstavix
CCGR addict
ArcticFox wrote: "Mormons are Christians who believe that God was once an ordinary human being who lived on earth like any other man."

Sort of. That makes it sound like He lived here in ancient times or something. Not the case.
If we're talking about Jesus, I don't think the term "ordinary" applies. ;)
ArcticFox wrote:
""The whole armor of God" is a Biblical metaphor used to describe the underwear that some Mormons wear. The garments—a white undershirt, and white boxer brief-style shorts or pants—are adorned with symbols to remind Mormons of their covenants."

Never heard that metaphor.
Neither have I. In fact, from what I've heard the garments are more compared to the Jewish tallit or Catholic vestments, in that they are clothing with significant religious significance. It's a symbol of the covenants made in the temple, and of priestly authority granted by Heavenly Father. In fact, most practicing Mormons who have been through the temple will be wearing these under their clothes, as a sign of their faith and devotion. (Yes, this includes myself. ;) )
ArcticFox wrote:
"Mormon founder and Prophet Joseph Smith taught that there was life on the moon."

He didn't teach that. It was just a common belief at the time and Smith believed that one day Missionaries would go there to spread the Gospel.
It was also widely believed that there could be life on Venus. Now, we know that there's a better chance of life to be on one of Jupiter's moons than anything surviving on Venus.

But you know, if we ever build a moonbase, I could see the church sending missionaries there.... ;)
ArcticFox wrote: "Joseph Smith believed that the Garden of Eden was in Jackson County, Missouri."

Sure.
I don't think I've ever heard this.
ArcticFox wrote:"Mormons believe that the devil and Jesus are brothers."

Yep, but then we believe EVERY SINGLE BEING God ever created are brothers and sisters 'cause, you know, we were all created by the same God. So that makes Jesus our brother too.

... and Lucifer. *sigh* there's at least one in every family, isn't there? :?
Technically, about a third of the family.... ;) But yes - we refer to "Heavenly Father" for a reason. He is our Father in Heaven. From a spiritual perspective, He is the father of all of us, including Jesus and Satan.

And that would also mean that our husband or wife is also our brother and sister. And our parents. And our own children. It feels a little weird when you think about it in that respect.... :lol:
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Sstavix wrote: Neither have I. In fact, from what I've heard the garments are more compared to the Jewish tallit or Catholic vestments, in that they are clothing with significant religious significance. It's a symbol of the covenants made in the temple, and of priestly authority granted by Heavenly Father.
Fun historical fact: The Order of Knights Templar wore a 1 piece undergarment made from lambskin which they were to never take off except to bathe. It was to remind them of the covenants they made in the temple and of priestly authority granted by God...

Hm.
Sstavix wrote:And that would also mean that our husband or wife is also our brother and sister. And our parents. And our own children. It feels a little weird when you think about it in that respect.... :lol:
UNTIL you go to the Temple and get sealed, at which point that relationship is transformed into the new family structure.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Can this be the "ask (probably dumb--but not disrespectful) questions about Mormonism" topic? :D
A vegan atheist walks into a bar. Bartender says "Hey, are you a vegan atheist? Just kidding, you've mentioned it like eight times already."
Sstavix
CCGR addict
I don't see why not. I'm always open for PMs, instead, if someone wants to ask. :)

Keep in mind that I may veer off in a different tangent due to my have you ever seen the show "Castle?" It's about a mystery writer who solves crimes, and stars Malcolm Reynolds. I miss Firefly. I've never seen a real live firefly. Are they pretty?
LegoFan560
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
ArcticFox wrote:"Mormons are Christians who believe that God was once an ordinary human being who lived on earth like any other man."

I'm curious. Don't all Christians believe this? What's the difference between Mormonism and "traditional" Christianity here? I believe that Jesus (i.e. God) lived on earth like every other man, and was as ordinary as he could get without being not-God.
@Cheryl: Thanks for a wonderful community. It is a pleasure and honor to be a part of it.

"Well then, carry on chaps."
-Deepfreeze32

"it's not malware guys it's linux ;)"
-ccgr

"Go play outside. That's what I'm going to do now."
-ccgr
Sstavix
CCGR addict
LegoFan560 wrote:
ArcticFox wrote:"Mormons are Christians who believe that God was once an ordinary human being who lived on earth like any other man."

I'm curious. Don't all Christians believe this? What's the difference between Mormonism and "traditional" Christianity here? I believe that Jesus (i.e. God) lived on earth like every other man, and was as ordinary as he could get without being not-God.
That's probably one of the biggest falsehoods spread about the LDS faith. Some Christian denominations insist that the Jesus Christ that Mormons believe in is somehow different from the Jesus Christ of their church. Obviously, this isn't the case. There is no difference. :)
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
We don't believe that Jesus was ordinary, he was sinless and still fully God while in human form
Sstavix
CCGR addict
ccgr wrote:We don't believe that Jesus was ordinary, he was sinless and still fully God while in human form
We believe that, too. (I took issue with the "ordinary" part earlier. ;) )
Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Sstavix wrote:I don't see why not. I'm always open for PMs, instead, if someone wants to ask. :)

Keep in mind that I may veer off in a different tangent due to my have you ever seen the show "Castle?" It's about a mystery writer who solves crimes, and stars Malcolm Reynolds. I miss Firefly. I've never seen a real live firefly. Are they pretty?
I'm kind of fascinated by religious traditions I didn't grow up in (partly because the one I did grow up in was pretty bigoted and hateful towards other religions/denominations). I might post some questions later. I just don't want to sound like I'm attacking if some of my questions sound silly.
A vegan atheist walks into a bar. Bartender says "Hey, are you a vegan atheist? Just kidding, you've mentioned it like eight times already."
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Bruce_Campbell wrote: I'm kind of fascinated by religious traditions I didn't grow up in (partly because the one I did grow up in was pretty bigoted and hateful towards other religions/denominations). I might post some questions later. I just don't want to sound like I'm attacking if some of my questions sound silly.
I too am very interested in other religions and beliefs, if for no other reason than it helps me to get where people are coming from. Also, since I myself went through a "I have no idea what to believe" time in my life, I'm not willing to be closed off to anything.

Questions are always welcome, and you've done a fine job of making it clear you're not looking to attack. :)
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Sstavix
CCGR addict
I'm a big fan of Joseph Campbell. His interview series with Bill Moyers started a lifelong interest in comparative theologies in me. :)

One thing to keep in mind is that neither AF nor I were raised in the LDS church, so our own thoughts or interpretations may be different from someone born and raised in the church. But I'll answer the best I can! :) And, of course, try to indicate which are my own thoughts, verses what the church's stance tends to be (if there are any differences).
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Ditto on that. I have a few opinions of my own that aren't always shared by other members... but it's one of the things I like about the LDS Church... we're encouraged to think for ourselves. Only by doing that can you really wrap your head around ideas.

(Not saying other churches don't do this too, but sadly I have encountered some that HATE for you to think for yourself and it left a bitter taste in my mouth.)
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
ArcticFox wrote:Ditto on that. I have a few opinions of my own that aren't always shared by other members... but it's one of the things I like about the LDS Church... we're encouraged to think for ourselves. Only by doing that can you really wrap your head around ideas.

(Not saying other churches don't do this too, but sadly I have encountered some that HATE for you to think for yourself and it left a bitter taste in my mouth.)
Yeah, that is one thing I admire about LDS folks. In my experience, they tend to be pretty friendly towards people of differing beliefs, which is radically different from the church communities I grew up in (we tended to treat anyone not from our particular branch of Christianity as targets for evangelism at best).