Tattoos

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ScotchRobbins
VIP Member
VIP Member
Are you human?: Yes!
Huh. The Jews believe in a Hell? There's Sheol and all, but Sheol and Hell seem like two distinctly different things.
[Insert witty afterthought here]
Lazarus
CCGR addict
ScotchRobbins wrote:Huh. The Jews believe in a Hell? There's Sheol and all, but Sheol and Hell seem like two distinctly different things.
I don't believe the massive conceptual clusterfudge bugbear of Hell is a legitimate or sensical diversion from the fact that the Bible needs an inspired commentary to go with it and God didn't provide one.

Fun fact: the Jews don't know if there is a hell or even all believe in hell, because they don't agree on anything in the Bible either!
ScotchRobbins
VIP Member
VIP Member
Lazarus wrote:
ScotchRobbins wrote:Huh. The Jews believe in a Hell? There's Sheol and all, but Sheol and Hell seem like two distinctly different things.
I don't believe the massive conceptual clusterfudge bugbear of Hell is a legitimate or sensical diversion from the fact that the Bible needs an inspired commentary to go with it and God didn't provide one.

Fun fact: the Jews don't know if there is a hell or even all believe in hell, because they don't agree on anything in the Bible either!
It's not a worthy diversion from the fact you pointed out. It's merely a curiosity.
Lazarus
CCGR addict
I used to be curious about whether I was going to end up in Sheol, Hell, or Gehenna - but mostly just scared.

I think that was the main idea behind them anyway.
ohnolookout
VIP Member
VIP Member
Will the rest of this thread contain charged statements that are nothing more than talking points?
Si ergo Filius vos liberaverit vere liberi eritis
N1ghtBreak3r
ohnolookout wrote:Will the rest of this thread contain charged statements that are nothing more than talking points?
Probably :) am I able to close this since I started it?
Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
N1ghtBreak3r wrote: am I able to close this since I started it?
NO. I've got more to say. So you sit down and listen. Or don't. :D

It's funny, because I actually know a guy who got a Christian themed tattoo and now regrets it because he's an atheist. His advice (which I think it sound): Don't get tattoos in your 30's.

If you're going to get one, just be durn sure it's something you want forever.

I've been tempted to get an Earthbound tattoo. Unfortunately, I've got psoriasis, which probably makes getting a tat a bad idea. Oh well, I'm afraid of needles anyway.
A vegan atheist walks into a bar. Bartender says "Hey, are you a vegan atheist? Just kidding, you've mentioned it like eight times already."
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Location: Surrounded by blood and bathed in fire on a frozen lake
Oh, dude if you're afraid of needles I can come over and give you a tat without any. Just need a fistful of ballpoint pens and a razor blade <_<
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
I've already got some awesome scars from my accident, so yeah... no razorblades necessary.
A vegan atheist walks into a bar. Bartender says "Hey, are you a vegan atheist? Just kidding, you've mentioned it like eight times already."
N1ghtBreak3r
Bruce_Campbell wrote:
N1ghtBreak3r wrote: am I able to close this since I started it?
NO. I've got more to say. So you sit down and listen. Or don't. :D
Lazarus
CCGR addict
ohnolookout wrote:Will the rest of this thread contain charged statements that are nothing more than talking points?
Nope, I think we've pretty well shouted down all the conservatives who oppose tattoos. Good job all!

That's what you're implying, right?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Lazarus wrote: Adultery is specifically forbidden by the seventh commandment! Incest is a taboo in ninety-nine point nine percent of all cultures worldwide since the beginning of time!

I'm pretty sure Jesus should have darned well said homosexuality was wrong if He had so much time on His hands he could rattle off speeches about merely wanting to have sex being a massive sin.
So what's your argument here? Are you saying that if there's no record of Jesus Himself saying it then it must be okay? Because you just acknowledged that both incest and adultery are wrong, even though Jesus never specifically said anything about those things either. For that matter, Jesus never specifically talked about a lot of things we know to be wrong. Why? Because it was unnecessary to. Homosexual behavior is spoken of as sinful in both the Old and the New Testaments.

To bring this back on topic, I agree that tattoos are never forbidden anywhere in Scripture outside the context of pagan religious rites.
Lazarus wrote: And to your first point, according to most major denominations of Christianity, all the Jews are going to hell. According to the Jewish religion, all the Christians are going to hell. Two very different religions, and ironically nearly the same Holy Book. The Holy Spirit dropped the ball again, I think.
Being as I am neither Jewish nor a member of any mainstream Christian denomination I don't have any comment here. I would suggest, in a friendly way, you should be careful about the way you reference the Holy Spirit, brother. Seriously.

28 Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:
29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation.
-Mark 3:28-29
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Off topic, but I'm not sure that's what blaspheme the Holy Spirit means
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
ScotchRobbins
VIP Member
VIP Member
ChickenSoup wrote:Off topic, but I'm not sure that's what blaspheme the Holy Spirit means
Let's make this the new topic. The whole tattoo thing pretty much died.

What does it mean to blaspheme the Holy Spirit?
ohnolookout
VIP Member
VIP Member
Lazarus wrote:
Nope, I think we've pretty well shouted down all the conservatives who oppose tattoos. Good job all!

That's what you're implying, right?
I meant your posts which have gotten more passive-aggressive each time I've seen you post. You've always had a sarcastic streak, and I've liked that about you. But now you're just being disruptive.
Si ergo Filius vos liberaverit vere liberi eritis