Ken Ham to debate Bill Nye on creationism

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Why is that important? I never have known of a requirement of a debater needing to be an expert in the opposing stance.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Here is a blog post that sums up a lot of how I felt about the debate. (Full disclosure: it's an atheist blog, and the author is a friend of mine.)
A vegan atheist walks into a bar. Bartender says "Hey, are you a vegan atheist? Just kidding, you've mentioned it like eight times already."
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
I love that blog post.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
ArchAngel wrote:Why is that important? I never have known of a requirement of a debater needing to be an expert in the opposing stance.
Because they're debating apples and oranges. Biblical Creationism is faith-based. If all your answers come down to "Because God" then there's nothing to debate. Doesn't matter what the opposing field is, because ultimately everything is answerable by "because God."

Now, if Ham wanted to take up a position of skepticism of Evolution and not base that on the Bible, THEN we'd have a relevant discussion. As it was, he was firing torpedoes at an airplane. Same thing in reverse. If Nye had wanted to argue that the Bible teaches Evolution then fine, that would be a relevant discussion too. As it was, he was firing heat-seeking missiles at a submarine.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Right, and I agree with your distinction and that's they aren't even comparable and why Creationism shouldn't be in the science classroom, just as I expect that Evolution not being required to be taught in the church pulpit.
But, the two issues butt up against each other as opposing explanations for origins, so here we are.
And although you may not agree with me on this, you expressed a very serious issue I have with faith.

As a funny note, when Ken Ham insists on the many creationist scientists but keeps referencing the same 3-4 people, I keep hearing "There are dozens of us! Dozens!"
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

Esssence
Noob
Noob
We're watching this tomorrow night. I've always loved seeing debates like this. My friends have been talking about this debate all week but we were busy last night and missed it.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Yeah this is why I didn't want to watch the debate... Too many facepalms.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Pat Robertson weighs in…

A vegan atheist walks into a bar. Bartender says "Hey, are you a vegan atheist? Just kidding, you've mentioned it like eight times already."
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Well that's better than some of the nonsense he's spewed recently.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Pat Robertson surprises me at times. I'm glad.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
I... did not expect that from him at all.
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
Mordock24
Noob
Noob
I watched the whole debate and I thought that it went ok in that it presented each side to the other a little bit. As to arguing the actual debate topic, it somewhat failed. I was frustrated at the lack of knowledge that each side had of the other, Bill would say things about the Bible that were completely untrue and Ken would not address subjects that Bill brought up and used the time more as a time to evangelize rather than to debate.
I appreciated the arguments brought up by both and if nothing else it helped to serve their own causes, evolutionists will see that they won the argument and creationists will see that they won the argument so I see that no one actually won and I don't see a way that anyone could actually win that argument.

Bottom line, I am glad that they had the debate as it brought awareness to both sides rather than people just going along with whatever they grew up with or "believe." I fully believe that everyone should study and strive to understand what they "believe" in. Wither it be a belief in God or lack there of.
I am a follower of Christ, believer in the Bible. Not because I just go along with whats around me, but because I research, analyze, and study each subject. I analytically look at the world and the only conclusion I come to every time is that the Bible is true. And to throw in there my Bible reference: Romans 1:20 "For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities - His eternal power and divine nature - have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse."
"My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will never be shaken." Psalm 62:1-2
LAVA89
ArcticFox wrote:Because they're debating apples and oranges. Biblical Creationism is faith-based.
My thoughts exactly. Which is why most debates on the nature of the universe \ origins should boil down to atheistic creation (i.e. spontaneous \ chance ) vs. theistic (aka planned or intelligent design) creation. Because both of those positions can be argued more objectively.
brandon1984
Gamer
Gamer
ArcticFox wrote:Because they're debating apples and oranges. Biblical Creationism is faith-based.
And. . .
LAVA89 wrote:My thoughts exactly. Which is why most debates on the nature of the universe \ origins should boil down to atheistic creation (i.e. spontaneous \ chance ) vs. theistic (aka planned or intelligent design) creation. Because both of those positions can be argued more objectively.
If there weren't apples and oranges, there would be no debate. Apples don't debate apples. The major conflicting points (as I recall) are these:

- science can extrapolate into the past just as all light that enters our iris is from the past VERSUS science is divided into operation and historical
- the evidence for Deep Time is displayed in geology, ice cores, tree rings, radiometric dating and starlight VERSUS "you weren't there and you are making assumptions"
- the evidence in the fossil record supports gradual development of complexity VERSUS "it was from the flood"
- the flood story is scientifically impossible for numerous reasons VERSUS I believe in the flood and we are generating scenarios to fit the biblical story

I favor Nye's position, but my point is that their was some meat to this debate even if they didn't cover the entirety of the nuances behind it.
Mordock24 wrote:I appreciated the arguments brought up by both and if nothing else it helped to serve their own causes, evolutionists will see that they won the argument and creationists will see that they won the argument so I see that no one actually won and I don't see a way that anyone could actually win that argument.
To some extent this is true. Hopefully it encouraged a spirit of questioning like you said later.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
A little after debate commentary

http://liberallogic101.com/?p=7083
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens