Article on the proper Christian response to Homosexuality

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
IBJamon
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
Here is an excellent article on the proper Biblical, Christian response to homosexuality. I received this from a newsletter from CRI and thought it was excellent (as usual for them). I post this to equip, not to start a debate. So please don't turn it into one. Nevertheless, if you have any thoughts about the content of the article, feel free to share.

Enjoy!

IBJamon

http://www.equip.org/articles/speaking- ... 130525WKLY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
brandon1984
Gamer
Gamer
When I saw CRI, I was dubious. When I clicked the link, though, I saw that they were promoting Francis Collins' views on evolution and I rejoiced!

I read about 1/3 of the article for now. I agree with everything. The only thing that concerns me is the semantics of "traditionalists vs. revisionists." I understand that we need some kind of polemical labels, but we need to create them carefully. If the discussion solely was about the American gay rights movement, these terms would be appropriate. But, we're talking about morality. Though I give this criticism without hesitation, I honestly can't think of any replacement terms that are terribly good, but surely someone can.

Will read the rest of the article soon and comment if deemed necessary.
IBJamon
Site Admin
Site Admin
I don't know that the article necessarily presents Francis Collins' model of theistic evolution or not; I think the point the writer makes is that whether the basis for same sex attraction is based on nature or nurture, it ultimately boils down to a choice to act on sinful desires, or not.

Incidentally, about 10 or so years ago I was explaining to a new Christian, but long time friend of mine who used to have many gay friends that we are all fallen, and that we all are born (or grow into for various reasons, either through genetic predispositions or environmental factors) with weaknesses to certain kinds of sin, and that for some people, it is errant sexual attraction. For others, it may be addictive behaviors, stealing, or other predispositions to sin. I knew that her conversion was sincere when, instead of disagreeing with God on what was sinful, she instead had the Spirit-filled response to the effect of 'Wow, that is such a difficult thing to have to struggle with'. I was blown away, as I recognized it as what it was - compassion for the people dealing with that area of sin in their lives, and acknowledgement of His holy standard. That's how a Christian responds to sin. :)

I suppose I also felt a bit of encouragement reading this article, as all those years ago, I was on the right track in explaining it to her.

As for CRI, the Christian Research Journal, that the above article comes out of, is very well written, and espouses a lot of different viewpoints. I don't agree with all of what they have to say, but they are usually well researched, and offer some help in whatever they are explaining. A few of their resources I really don't agree with or find of poor quality (like Hank's rather terrible Apocalypse Code in my opinion) but many of them I find useful. If you espouse theistic evolution, I can understand why you would be leery of them.

Personally, I find myself most closely aligned with the viewpoints as explained on reasons.org, but one of the beauties of being Christian is that we have many opportunities to find the Truth (what really happened) in different explanations for the origins of the universe, while others may be limited to naturalistic ones only. But that whole topic really should be for another thread. :)

IBJamon
brandon1984
Gamer
Gamer
IBJammon wrote:I think the point the writer makes is that whether the basis for same sex attraction is based on nature or nurture, it ultimately boils down to a choice to act on sinful desires, or not.
Definitely agreed here. Everyone has some predisposition to sin that we struggle with. For me, it's alcohol, cynicism resulting in withdrawal from people, arrogance and more. But, predisposition, whether genetic or environmental (or both), does not justify sin.
IBJammon wrote: I was blown away, as I recognized it as what it was - compassion for the people dealing with that area of sin in their lives, and acknowledgement of His holy standard. That's how a Christian responds to sin
Cool, it sounds like she had amazing faith.
IBJammon wrote:As for CRI, the Christian Research Journal, that the above article comes out of, is very well written, and espouses a lot of different viewpoints.
Yeah, the article you linked had theistic evolution link in the sidebar. At least they're giving biologos a chance. They also had a link to evidence for design in the butterfly. So, they might still be ID-supporters. I think you're right, they seem espouse many different views, and that's ok with me. I don't think there is one single website or preacher that I agree with everything on, but they are my brothers and sisters in Christ and have many, many good points to make.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
I'm not going to debate on this, and I gather some of you don't care about what I have to say. But, there was an piece I read , and I'm sure some of you have already seen me reference it before, that provides an interesting position from a christian/biblical view.
http://www.gaychristian.net/justins_view.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I won't defend it, but I thought it was a good read.
I'll go ahead and post the opposing viewpoint as well.
http://www.gaychristian.net/rons_view.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Those look like great articles. I'll read them as soon as I can. I think one of them you've posted here before?
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
I posted Justin's before, and it's one that I really liked. When I was a christian, he impressed me as someone who both took the Bible and his faith seriously while still holding the position that homosexuality wasn't wrong perse (which I found interesting as well), as well as someone who does not simply deride the opposing side but rather tries to appeal to better understanding.
I can't say how much I loved his essay on North Carolina's Amendment One (I'm sure I posted this before): http://gcnjustin.tumblr.com/post/227107 ... one-debate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Truly fantastic.
A little excerpt:
My challenge to you, however you felt about this amendment and however you feel about LGBT/Christian issues in general, is to force yourself to see your opponents as human beings who honestly believe they’re doing the right thing. Figure out what it is that’s really motivating them, and if the answer you come up with is simply “bigotry” or “love of the flesh” or “stupidity” or “rebellion against God,” keep digging, because you haven’t gone deep enough yet. Then once you really understand them—really, really understand them—find the ways you can reach out and begin to educate them, patiently and lovingly. That is how you make change in people’s lives.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
brandon1984
Gamer
Gamer
At one time I agreed with Justin and supported homosexuality, but now I disagree with him.

Just to name a few points, Jesus definitely supports heterosexual marriage and also quotes Deuteronomy which clearly condemns homosexuality. The fact that Jesus did not directly address homosexuality might be because he spent all his ministry in Galilee and Judea where homosexuality was nonexistent. Jesus obviously does not condone such activity. As far as Paul, arsenokoitai cannot just refer to boy-man homosexuality that pervaded Greco-Roman culture. We have evidence in literature and artwork that man-man stable homosexuality was also present just like it is today, and arsenokoitai condemns this practice as well.

There's a reason why Justin's case is leftfield, and there's not many supporters of this idea. The evidence is simply stacked against him that the only sexuality that is morally approved in scripture is monogamous, heterosexual marriage.

EDIT: took out source that appears to not be supported by scholarship after a second look
IBJamon
Site Admin
Site Admin
Arch, thank you for posting those links. I found them both fascinating, though I thought that the first (pro) link seemed to be taking some liberty in trying to get those words to mean something else, which I felt the second link addressed appropriately. And (of course) I agree with the second link in dealing with the issues at the heart of it. Great posts nonetheless.

I also appreciate your additional insight, Brandon. Thank you all for contributing more to the discussion. It's fascinating to learn more about it. If Holiness was easy, everyone would do it. ;)

IBJamon