It has come to my attention

For threads that strayed off topic or never made sense in the first place.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
That it is possible to brew soda at home using the same brewing techniques as beer makers.

I have brewed beer at home before (thought it was on the level of being non-alcoholic, to be honest) but it had not occurred to me that I could make soda in this fashion.

That noise from the beginning of 2001: A space odyssey has been playing in my head for about half an hour now. More research shall be done, and then I'll probably do something stupid and post the results.

I will have you know, I raised a fist into the air and gave a Viking war shout when the knowledge bloomed in my head.

That is all.
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
do eet
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
baconisgood23
VIP Member
VIP Member
OMG YESH :mrgreen:

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should've been more specific." -Lily Tomlin
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
You wouldn't use yeast to carbonate your beer, but rather just CO2. You can always pick up one of those Soda Stream machines and make your own soda. All you need to do is find a way to make your own syrup.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
I'm assuming you meant "soda" instead of "beer" up there. :P

Soda Streams may be good for people with money to burn, but they've never made sense to me. It's a good idea for some, but if I go that route I may as well just buy soda and save time and expense. It is also against several of my religions to chain myself to devices that require cartridge recharging; at least where food is concerned.

So...I very much so want to use yeast to carbonate my soda, in both the interests of health and awesomeness. Is for fun, and flavor, not simply the "fresh" soda. Traditional root beer was made in this fashion hundreds of years before Co2 compression, and it adds a depth of flavor that pure water and sugar don't have. I plan to have some of that nommage and slurp it down with vigor.

The point is, if I do this I will have yet another way to release myself from the chains of corporations, and the man, man or something. I won't, of course, because I loves me some RC and $1 per half gallon is a whole lot cheaper than I'll be able to manage. :lol: It's the point behind it. Like making your own barbecue sauce, or cakes.

Plus, I love the brewing experience, and have been trying for years to figure ways to apply it that don't end in alcoholic beverages. It's fun. ^_^
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
You're right, I meant "soda" and not "beer."

Part of the thing that confuses me is that as far as I know, Soda isn't carbonated with yeast at all, and as the yeast ferments the sugars in the wort, it both carbonates and creates alcohol. Is it perhaps a different strain of yeast than what's commonly used for brewing?
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Nein amigo, you are correct. Soda is typically produced that way. But traditional root beer, and apparently soda in general, can be made in the classic way at home. The "wort" is left to stew for only a few days, and then the process is quickly stopped, leaving you (in theory) with a carbonated beverage with very little alcohol. Somewhere between .03 and .05, on the scale.

Recipe wise, the yeast doesn't seem to be a factor. The main differences I can see are the fermentation time and the amount of sugar (which is very high, comparatively). It also has no grain, which will play with how the yeast ferments in some way.

Still researching it. It's the adventure that intrigues me, not the hopes that I will have gloriously amazing soda afterwards.

I mean, you know, I wouldn't complain about that. I just have trouble believing it'll happen. I can post links, if you're interested. I haven't gotten anything stewing yet, since the only ingredients I have on hand would be for Creme Soda.

Shortened: this won't replace soda, but it might prove to be a fun enterprise. XD
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
I was unaware that root beer was made in this way. I'm a bit fascinated by it and look forward to hearing more about your adventures.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Heck, I might break out my dad's old brewing kit. XD
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
I recently got a brewing kit, so I might try it down the line, too.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Dibs on the name Barack Obrewma
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Brew Carey?
Brew Brees? Or Brew Breers?
Brew Barrymore?
AnBrew Jackson?
ABrew Dhabi?
Brewke Shields?

So many options...
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

Orodrist
CCGR addict
Location: Surrounded by blood and bathed in fire on a frozen lake
The thrill of homebrewing is why personal stills need to be legal.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
They should be.

Homebrewing sparked a revolution in american craft beer and gave us some of the finest ales in the world.
As Benjamin Franklin said it, Beer is the proof there is a God and He wants us to be happy.

Or the CCGR version, Root Beer is the proof there is a God and He wants us to be happy.

In vino veritas, in cervisia felicitas
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
ArchAngel wrote: As Benjamin Franklin said it, Beer is the proof there is a God and He wants us to be happy.

Or the CCGR version, Root Beer is the proof there is a God and He wants us to be happy.

In vino veritas, in cervisia felicitas
Heck, I'd say that about them both :P