A semi-serious question in a not-so-serious forum

For threads that strayed off topic or never made sense in the first place.
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
First, the reason I put this here is because it's mostly just a joke anyways, but...

I have a dilemma for next semester. Maybe you guys can help! I've got a weird course load next semester, which necessitates taking a final exercise science credit. I've got a list of classes with their associated pros and cons.

Walking for Fitness. Pros: Easy, and I'm good at it. Cons: It's at 7:30 AM. X_x

Pickleball. Pros: I enjoy games like this. Cons: It would severely cut into my working hours.

Snow Skiing. Pros: It's an easy course, only meets a few times during the semester, and you get to go on a ski trip. Cons: It's expensive ($400 for the trip + clothing and food), it's a night class when it meets, and piggybacking off of the first con, I don't have any ski clothes.

And finally....

Modern Dance. Pros: ...it's got a good time slot? Cons: I cannot dance. I'm as good as dancing as a finite automaton is at thinking. It would be an embarrassment waiting to happen over and over again.

Any input?
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Out of the options I'd go with the skiing
Sstavix
CCGR addict
I'd say skiing as well. But that's just because I love skiing. I used to do it all the time. :D

However, Modern Dance might be a good one to consider, too. Girls like a guy who knows how to dance. You may not know how to dance now, but you might at the end of the class. If you have a good sense of rhythm, you may want to give it some consideration.
Blue
VIP Member
VIP Member
Sstavix wrote:Girls like a guy who knows how to dance.
This is a good enough reason just to choose that option. XD
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sstavix wrote:I'd say skiing as well. But that's just because I love skiing. I used to do it all the time. :D
Like I said, big barrier is cost. If there were no cost, I'd be done with this decision. XD
However, Modern Dance might be a good one to consider, too. ... You may not know how to dance now, but you might at the end of the class. If you have a good sense of rhythm, you may want to give it some consideration.
Fair, but my sense of rhythm is...off. I feel most in tune with unusual beats, like those you find in progressive rock. I can't tell if this is because I listen to that music more than any other kind, or what.

I also don't know if I have the physical control for it. XD
Girls like a guy who knows how to dance.
I don't think that would help them like me. XD

I mean...that's a whole other topic. But let's just say dancing isn't going to make that much of a difference. :P

Still considering. I don't have to make the decision for another month, but it's better to plan ahead.
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Location: Surrounded by blood and bathed in fire on a frozen lake
Take the dance class and I will forcibly confiscate your man card.

Go with walking. You'll get used to waking up early.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
do you have a good will close by? great place to pick up winter gear
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Dance. Dance it up. Not for the lady types, but for yourself. You need a class you can laugh at yourself in. Pickleball...I don't know what that is. Sounds fun. But dance it up.

Plus, never underestimate the value of a good time slot.
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Orodrist wrote:Take the dance class and I will forcibly confiscate your man card.

Go with walking. You'll get used to waking up early.

Well that's half the problem: I would miss some work with that too. But...we'll see. Still leaning Skiing for now.
ccgr wrote:do you have a good will close by? great place to pick up winter gear
We do, but it never has clothes that fit. XD

Chozon1 wrote:Dance. Dance it up. Not for the lady types, but for yourself. You need a class you can laugh at yourself in. Pickleball...I don't know what that is. Sounds fun. But dance it up.

Plus, never underestimate the value of a good time slot.
So falling down on a ski slope doesn't constitute being able to laugh at yourself?

Oh, and here's Pickleball. It's a table tennis-type game. But played like badminton. I think. XD

srsbidness in spoiler tags.
Spoiler:
I'll like to say that I have a strong negative association with dancing because of some high school experiences. Let's just say some verbal and emotional abuse was involved by way of a teacher...

So if anyone knows a way to overcome that sort of thing (Which has caused me to be resistant to learning things I'm not immediately talented at), that would be great.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
I personally wouldn't do modern dance unless I already liked dance, or was interested. Modern dance is one of the weirder ones. Not interpretive weird, just weirder. That's just me, and I'm no dance aficionado.

A dance class worth taking, imo, is ballroom. It's rather nice, and you'll find you can cash it in for some major romance points later on.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
baconisgood23
VIP Member
VIP Member
Dude, go skiing. If you don't have a lot of money, deposit some of your free time in a sort of small, makeshift "business" where you do different jobs for people at a fixed price, maybe $10. The money you'd get from that on top of your wages would definitely help. As for ski clothes, if you have a friend that does skiing, ask him if you can borrow some of his gear for it. That way you (hopefully) won't have to pay tons of money for your own gear. :D

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should've been more specific." -Lily Tomlin
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Deepfreeze32 wrote:So falling down on a ski slope doesn't constitute being able to laugh at yourself?

Oh, and here's Pickleball. It's a table tennis-type game. But played like badminton. I think. XD

srsbidness in spoiler tags.
Spoiler:
I'll like to say that I have a strong negative association with dancing because of some high school experiences. Let's just say some verbal and emotional abuse was involved by way of a teacher...

So if anyone knows a way to overcome that sort of thing (Which has caused me to be resistant to learning things I'm not immediately talented at), that would be great.
No. No it does not. Because there's a srsness about skiing that's impossible (for me, anyway) to have while dancing, I believe you're more likely to get flusterated than gigglesome when skiiing.

Pickleball, however, I am intrigued in. Imagine yourself 20 years down the road saying "I was pickleball champino back in college". A lot of people ski, a lot of people dance, and 97% of people on the planet walk.

But how many can say "I rock at pickleball"? :P

As for emotional issues, I am no help at all, since I have the same problem generally. Maybe you should try putting yourself in a sensory deprivation tank?

Otherwise known as "a metal concert".
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
ArchAngel wrote:I personally wouldn't do modern dance unless I already liked dance, or was interested. Modern dance is one of the weirder ones. Not interpretive weird, just weirder. That's just me, and I'm no dance aficionado.

A dance class worth taking, imo, is ballroom. It's rather nice, and you'll find you can cash it in for some major romance points later on.

I was concerned about that. The only reason I mentioned that class was because several friends who are heavily into dance have been trying to convince me to take dancing, knowing full well how I feel about it. Their excuse? "You need to get out of your comfort zone", "Dancing makes you more comfortable with your own body", and the almost-infuriating "Girls like a guy who can dance".

That last one...well, let's just say I ended up deleting a Facebook status over that because it was making me too hotheaded.
baconisgood23 wrote:Dude, go skiing. If you don't have a lot of money, deposit some of your free time in a sort of small, makeshift "business" where you do different jobs for people at a fixed price, maybe $10. The money you'd get from that on top of your wages would definitely help. As for ski clothes, if you have a friend that does skiing, ask him if you can borrow some of his gear for it. That way you (hopefully) won't have to pay tons of money for your own gear. :D
Well I can make the money this summer no problem (Perks of being an intern at more than $12/hour), it's just that I'm not sure if I want all of that money to go into a single class.
Chozon1 wrote:No. No it does not. Because there's a srsness about skiing that's impossible (for me, anyway) to have while dancing, I believe you're more likely to get flusterated than gigglesome when skiiing.

Pickleball, however, I am intrigued in. Imagine yourself 20 years down the road saying "I was pickleball champino back in college". A lot of people ski, a lot of people dance, and 97% of people on the planet walk.

But how many can say "I rock at pickleball"? :P
Like I said, the time slot is bad, which is why I'm not interested in taking it at the time it's offered.
As for emotional issues, I am no help at all, since I have the same problem generally. Maybe you should try putting yourself in a sensory deprivation tank?

Otherwise known as "a metal concert".
I must admit, I laughed. XD
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Take the dance class.

Why?
Cons: I cannot dance. I'm as good as dancing as a finite automaton is at thinking.
You'll learn. This makes it a worthy endeavor by itself.

And as Arch said... romance points.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Deepfreeze32 wrote:I was concerned about that. The only reason I mentioned that class was because several friends who are heavily into dance have been trying to convince me to take dancing, knowing full well how I feel about it. Their excuse? "You need to get out of your comfort zone", "Dancing makes you more comfortable with your own body", and the almost-infuriating "Girls like a guy who can dance".

That last one...well, let's just say I ended up deleting a Facebook status over that because it was making me too hotheaded.
Yeah, those are pretty terrible arguments.
While, yes, it is important to get out of your comfort zone, it needs to be YOU who initiates it. Otherwise, it'll do more damage than good.
Dancing MIGHT make you more comfortable... or more self-conscious, especially if you're pushed into it. It's really one of those things you're going to have to want to do first. If you want to do it, you might find a lot of rewards. If you don't, it'll probably scar you.

And yeah, even though I mentioned "romance" points, don't ever do something just to interest girls. Nothing says creep more than that. Luckily, this looks like it's not you at all.

So yeah, do it if you want to or are interested. Otherwise, no.
That being said, maybe consider a dance. Maybe not modern, but another might seem interesting.

That, or do Kendo.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim