Les Miserables

ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
TripExistence wrote: Arctic, I think if you revisited it, you wouldn't necessarily be wrong, but I still hold that it's a pretty well put together piece of cinema. It's been so long since I've seen it; I'd be interested in going to watch it again in light of what you've said. You have to let me know what you think of the musical! It really is phenomenal, despite some of the things that I've said. :P
My wife and I Have a date tonight to go see it :D
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Saw it last night...

... I have no words ...

except...

It was AWESOME
The cast was AWESOME
The music was AWESOME
The direction was AWESOME
The visuals were AWESOME

AWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOME
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
INORITE?
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
ArchAngel wrote:INORITE?
One of the things I liked best were the subtle things they changed to make it different from the stage musical but not in a way that was distracting. For example, in the stage productions I've seen, the story opens with Jean Valjean working in some kind of rock quarry as he serves his prison sentence. In this move, he's with a few dozen convicts doing forced labor - as they haul a damaged naval warship into a drydock with ropes during a storm.

I almost drowned in the cool right there.

The same story, but with enough of a twist that it still felt like I was seeing something new.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Yeah, I really liked that opening scene. Some callbacks to movies like Ben Hur, but also the symbolism of the french "might" being moved and hauled by those suffering under it.
And Javert looking down from above during the storm. Way cool. Symbolism and Coolness.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Ah good point I hadn't put it together that way. Coolness doubled.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
So much symbolism and running parallels. Incredibly careful writing.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

harrelsonm
I've been debating wheter or not to see it. I love a great story but I dislike musicals and things that leave me feeling depressed!
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
ArchAngel wrote:So much symbolism and running parallels. Incredibly careful writing.
One part I really liked was when Valjean is singing "Bring Him Home." On the next building is painted a large advertisement with a human eye at the center of it. While he's singing part of the song, the eye is right over his shoulder as if symbolizing God looking at him. Not very subtle, but that image is present throughout the barricade scenes and that's the only time it's really emphasized.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
TheWampaKing
VIP Member
VIP Member
I really really really really liked it. And this is from someone that's never liked a musical beside nightmare before Christmas. I also had never even heard of it unt I saw the trailers for it. It was quite tasty
"When the world flips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall"
"IT'S LIKE GIBBERISH ONLY IT'S IN PRINT." - DeadManReedeemed
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
ArcticFox wrote:One part I really liked was when Valjean is singing "Bring Him Home." On the next building is painted a large advertisement with a human eye at the center of it. While he's singing part of the song, the eye is right over his shoulder as if symbolizing God looking at him. Not very subtle, but that image is present throughout the barricade scenes and that's the only time it's really emphasized.
Never noticed that. Good catch!
TheWampaKing wrote:I really really really really liked it. And this is from someone that's never liked a musical beside nightmare before Christmas. I also had never even heard of it unt I saw the trailers for it. It was quite tasty
?Yeah, they didn't really build it like the standard musical, so I hear a lot of people saying, myself included, that they don't really like musicals, but they loved this.
harrelsonm wrote:I've been debating wheter or not to see it. I love a great story but I dislike musicals and things that leave me feeling depressed!
Up to you, really. Like I said above, people who don't like musicals have been liking this. As for feeling depressed, this movie has some very downer parts, but very uplifting parts as well. It's not just one trip down (I'm looking at you, Boy in the Striped Pajamas).
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

ArcticFox
CCGR addict
ArchAngel wrote:Up to you, really. Like I said above, people who don't like musicals have been liking this. As for feeling depressed, this movie has some very downer parts, but very uplifting parts as well. It's not just one trip down (I'm looking at you, Boy in the Striped Pajamas).
"Come with me
where chains will never bind you.
All your grief,
at last, at last behind you."

The only song I've ever heard that can make me feel simultaneously happy and sad.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Right in the feels.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

ScotchRobbins
VIP Member
VIP Member
ArchAngel wrote:Right in the feels.
I think that was the intended design. Might see it to see if I can turn off my feels without being ignorant to the movie.

I shall do it for SCIENCE!
[Insert witty afterthought here]
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
FOR SCIENCE!

But, seriously, don't try turning off the feels. Let dem rivers flow.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.