The quest for a new doctor begins

ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/06/01/s ... octor-who/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Wow, I thought I heard he'd be doing it longer.

4 years is a pretty good run for a doctor. Hopefully 12 is brilliant and not Russell Brand.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
Mtgrace
Noob
Noob
its the last incarnation!!!! i cant believe it!
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
I doubt it'll be the last one. First, Time Lords can regenerate 12 times, which make 13 the last incarnation, but even that, they'll find a way to prolong the regenerations. Some reset or something. Something like this.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
ArchAngel wrote:I doubt it'll be the last one. First, Time Lords can regenerate 12 times, which make 13 the last incarnation
Spoilers for the latest episode:
Spoiler:
What about John Hurt's Doctor? If he's an actual past incarnation, this would make it the last one. I really think you're right about them ditching it, but still....
baconisgood23
VIP Member
VIP Member
The Doctor has been a guy for so long that I just can't really wrap my mind around a woman acting out the role. However, I'm sure BBC will make it work if that's the way things turn out. Diehard Whovians might complain a little, but overall it would probably go along ok.

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should've been more specific." -Lily Tomlin
Mtgrace
Noob
Noob
what do u all hink of the new doctor?
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
look forward to seeing him.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Wonder no more, it's been announced:
Peter Capaldi is Twelve.

I'm looking forward to see him as the Doctor.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

HankTheCowdog
What do you think the new Doctor will be like? Because the previous Doctors said that the 12 cannot take the name of the Doctor, they disowned him, so will he be evil or just make a mistake?

God's Not Dead!
HankTheCowdog
I am looking forward to the last episode with Matt Smith. I hope to go see it in theaters.

God's Not Dead!
airpa
VIP Member
VIP Member
Peter Capaldi IS the 13th Doctor, BUT he is the 14th regeneration. John Hurt was actually the 9th Regeneration, but he regenerated into what is know as The War Doctor. This would mean that every Doctor from Eccleston to Smith are actually one more regeneration number than previously known, BUT all still retain their numbers as The Doctor. Also if you all remember, David Tennant actually regenerated twice.
Spoiler:
Also The Day of the Doctor was amazing. Having EVERY (Even if some were just clips of past episodes) Doctor in it just like the Season 7 Finale was epic. And the return of Tom Baker was perfect!!
ChesterKhan
Noob
Noob
Wait, isn't Capaldi the 12th Doctor but the Thirteenth Regeneration?

In any case, I REALLY Like the War Doctor - what little I've seen if him anyway (I haven't seen Day of the Doctor yet). I like his jacket and dress. I love the beard. Love his seriousness. I think if I ever see Day of the Doctor I'm gonna love the War Doctor.

I always knew there had to be one with a beard!
airpa
VIP Member
VIP Member
ChesterKhan wrote:Wait, isn't Capaldi the 12th Doctor but the Thirteenth Regeneration?

You are correct in the sense of him being the 12th Doctor (I hit 13 instead of 12, my bad), but like I said before, Tennant regenerated twice. Once to regrow his hand, the the next when he regenerated into Matt Smith. This would mean that Capaldi is the 14th Regeneration.

The only plausible explanation I can think of to explain why they were able to pull off going past his allowed regenerations is when River Song gives Matt Smith all of her remaining regeneration power.

If you're lost don't worry, it really confused me until I saw The Day of the Doctor.
ChesterKhan
Noob
Noob
airpa wrote:
ChesterKhan wrote:Wait, isn't Capaldi the 12th Doctor but the Thirteenth Regeneration?

You are correct in the sense of him being the 12th Doctor (I hit 13 instead of 12, my bad), but like I said before, Tennant regenerated twice. Once to regrow his hand, the the next when he regenerated into Matt Smith. This would mean that Capaldi is the 14th Regeneration.

The only plausible explanation I can think of to explain why they were able to pull off going past his allowed regenerations is when River Song gives Matt Smith all of her remaining regeneration power.

If you're lost don't worry, it really confused me until I saw The Day of the Doctor.
Wait, wait a minute. :? That's not what happened. The Tenth Doctor (Tennant) was still in the process of regenerating. So regenerating his hand doesn't count because he was still in the process of regenerating as Tennant.

So the Tenth Doctor regenerated a limb, but that's not the same thing as an actual regeneration of the entire body. Regenerating a limb is impossible unless you are still in the first 15 hours of having freshly died and regenerated.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/The_Christ ... V_story%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Plot Summary of The Christmas Invasion wrote:The swordfight goes from inside the ship to its exterior. In the midst of it, the leader cuts the Doctor's hand off. However, the Doctor is still in the first 15 hours of his regeneration cycle, and regrows his hand.
Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGAMurPVD-8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's also precedent for the regeneration process lasting longer than the immediate regeneration of the whole body. Remember Castrovalva and The Twin Dilemma - where the immediate regenerations were followed by "side-effects". Oh, and the 2005 Children in Need Special, too, for that matter. When Tennant flies off the handle. So if regenerations can go wrong early on, there's no reason to suppose good things can't also be possible.