Whatcha reading???

DollFaceKilla
Are you human?: Not likely
I am currently reading the first book in the Wheel of Time series: The Eye of the World. I am enjoying it but I haven't gotten very far into it yet.
ROA: Livia

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live." ~Martin Luther King Jr.
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
Are you human?: Yes!
TripExistence wrote: But yeah, after I got the book from the library I didn't even pick it up for a while because I didn't want it to end.
Yeah, it's all ways a pain to have a great story end.
Then I find my self thinking about the book for a long time. :?
Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

1 Corinthians 13; remember it always.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
JOJ650s wrote:
TripExistence wrote: Yeah, it's all ways a pain to have a great story end.
Then I find my self thinking about the book for a long time. :?
There's this too. I've been spoiled by Tolkien, who gives three chapters of extraneous info after the end. XD
TripExistence wrote:Yeah, the epilogue was a little underwhelming, I wasn't sure what to think. It was very confusing and poorly written, and didn't give out that much information. I was really hoping for a full-fledged chapter.

But yeah, after I got the book from the library I didn't even pick it up for a while because I didn't want it to end.

I still have a couple of the movies to watch, but it's not the same.
I've not seen the final movie yet...imagine I'll be doing that Christmas night.

But yeah...it was like
Spoiler:
"The end. Get on with your life, because they certainly did. In decently happy fashion."
TripExistence
donkey
I watched the first one last night... gonna try and knock out the entire series over finals week. Don't know how feasible it is, but by golly, I'm going to try.

Speaking of what I've been reading... not much. I should probably eventually finish The Shining, since there's a bookmark in there a little over half-way through when I decided that it was terrifying.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
DO IT.

Just finished the River of Time series...I was warned beforehand that it was girly, but it still slapped me across the face. :lol: It was, at the least, an interesting look into the mind of a teen girl.

It was just weird though (the books, I mean, not the mindset). These two teen sisters could travel through time, yet it was a semi-major plot point that whenever the girl returned to the present, she couldn't spend much time here since her fiancée aged a day for every minute she was here...And yet they could travel through time, meaning they could have just as easily returned to the day they left. :lol: And yes, they did have control over when they left the warp...just odd, I guess.

The ending was not, however, what I expected it to be...And the heroine (if not her Robin-Hood-with-a-bow-and-arrow-sister) was actually pretty realistic, blowing chunks when she had to kill a guy, and going insane for awhile after all the stress. It also had cool thoughts about living in the moment with those you love, and not worrying over the future (keeping in mind, these people knew the plague would strike their locale in a few scant years).

So no complaints; I enjoyed them thoroughly. Just wasn't expecting pink hearts to float about my head (and stab me in the eye) as I read the book. I'm glad I finished though...I was starting to sigh and get all dreamy eyed when the hunky Marcello walked into the scene. O_o

Now I have to pick from the stack of books I let gather up while I read the Firebird trilogy (Christmas tradition for me, you know).
airpa
VIP Member
VIP Member
It Doesn't Take a Hero Great book so far, love it.
Eagle Eyes
VIP Member
VIP Member
I'm reading Phantom Stalion - Rain Dance by Terri Farley.

It's a cool story to read
Never judge a book by it's cover
and don't underestimate them either.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
I finished Wind and Shadow by Kathy Tyers yesterday.

Intersting book, and fairly good...but disappointing in light of how awesome the original trilogy was (this is a sequel, set 20 years in the future and having their childrens as the main characters...It makes complete sense in light of the original, but...I liked those characters).

Starting Paradise Lost tonight. Looking forward to it.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
TripExistence wrote:Uggh, Paradise Lost. Trust me, it's even worse when you have to read half of it in less than a day.
After having hit the halfway mark, I feel reasonably certified to call this insanity. XD Yes, I remembered this post after 6 months.

Obviously, I'm reading Paradise Lost, by John Milton. And generally enjoying every word. I'm uncertain of the...purpose, I guess, of free verse...it's just like Milton took normal prose and /columned it into a poem. Though I love the look and the way it reads. Maybe epic poems are funner to write? There are some iffy areas theologically...I also find it odd that everytime Eve enters the picture Johnny reminds the reader that she and Adam are NAKEDNAKEDNAKED. XD

Pretty awesome stuff though. Not a treatise on real history, but it's given me new thoughts on the fall. It never entered my mind that Satan may not have known God was infinite, and likely did not, since how can you learn the limits of infinity?

I feel smarterer. <3
ChrisJ
Noob
Noob
I read The Hobbit when I was 14 for summer reading and loved it...But then I saw The Hobbit movie trailer a while ago and I had to read it again. I'm usually bad about picking up a book and not stopping until I finish it, but I've found that affects sleeping/eating habits and I've been trying to pace myself...Still as epic as ever. Although I have to say the book is even more epic and adventurous since I can now understand it far better than when I was 14! I'm planning on re-reading the Chronicles of Narnia next (which I haven't read in 5 years) that will be a bit of light reading for my up-coming flight!
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
All of those be amazing books.

The Word Reclaimed, by Steve Rzasa.

Marcher Lord Press has yet to disappoint me in their bookery offerings. Nigh all of their titles are A+ speculative fiction, and the ones that aren't are still amazing books. So far, this is no exception. Feels a bit like youth fiction rather than srs face, but it's still well-written and very interesting...kept me awake last night.

It's not harmed by the addition of freaking space marines. Space Marines that are similar to the ones in Warhammer 40K.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
That book was awesome, by the way.

Anyway, started Dante's Inferno. Creepish imagery of hell, though the book is pretty cool so far. Stumbling over the medieval Catholicism a bit.
Stephalawl
Noob
Noob
I just finished the Hunger Games trilogy, and am now mid-way through the Hobbit, which is amazing.
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Location: Surrounded by blood and bathed in fire on a frozen lake
Been reading (or rather, trying to read) some of John Dee's Enochian manuscripts, namely Mysteriorum Liber Primus and Mysteriorum Liber Secundus.

Trying to get a decent grasp on Enochian magic. It's...odd.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
TripExistence
donkey
The last two reading-for-pleasure books I read were Looking for Alaska by John Green and The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Steven Chbosky.