No votes
Whatever.
No votes

Total votes: 2
kittycathead
Gamer
Gamer
Are you human?: Not likely
The winds of the churning snowstorm make Mirabelle shiver. She makes her way back to her small home, and warms her hands by the fire.
"Jake, where are you?" she hollers, but he doesn't seem to be home. She continues to sit by the fire, wishing she could just lay in it without getting burned, but just to keep warm.

Mirabelle begins to get tired waiting for Jake, so she lays down by the fire, shivering. "Cold . . . so cold . . ." are the last words she utters before she drifts into tranquility.

She wakes (or thinks she wakes) in the middle of a huge blizzard. She looks around, wondering where the house and Jake went. "Hello? Is anybody here?" she calls as she trudges through the deep snow. The trees aroud her are covered in snow, and she's surprised they are still holding up. As she continues exploring the landscape, she wonders why there is no civilization.

Suddenly, she steps into the snow, and she falls down into a deep hole, only to find herself in a pitch black cave . . . except for the fact that there is a fire nearby. Mirabelle slowly, hesitantly walks up to warm her hands. She then has the same feeling of wanting warmth: the feeling of wanting to climb into the fire itself. She realizes the surrealism of the situation, and she decides to listen to that urge. Mirabelle gets down on all fours, and crawls into the fire. Suddenly, she wakes up . . .

. . . to find herself in the firepit in the real world, where the fire is very much still blazing. Mirabelle is about to scream when she realizes that the fire isn't burning her. She tries to climb out of the firepit, but she's stuck. She looks back at the fire, confused. The size of the opening to the living room is large enough for her to climb through, so why can't she come out? Then Mirabelle realizes that she can't see her legs. She looks down at her torso, and from the waist down is only flames. Did her legs burn off in her sleep? She doesn't think so, otherwise she would've woken from the pain.

"Come on, fire, give me my legs back!" she growls, annoyed. The flames only blaze higher and hotter, as if they were responding to her emotions. Mirabelle decides to try pushing herself out of the fire again to get her legs back. She grabs the sides of the opening to the living room, and pushes herself forward. It doesn't work at first, but she manages to eventually push herself out. She looks down at herself, and she finds that she does indeed have her legs back. She brushes herself off and sits up. Mirabelle looks down at where she just sat, and gasps.

The carpet's burnt, and her body is made of flames.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
Good story so far!
kittycathead
Gamer
Gamer
Are you human?: Not likely
Mirabelle stands up abruptly. Where's Jake?! What is happening? Will she burn down the house? In exhaustion of the cold, she wants to sit down, but she doesn't, for fear that she will burn the carpet more than it already has been. Why'd I have to acquire Flame Lady status now, of all times? Mirabelle asks herself in dejected confusion. This has never happened to her before. She'd been ordinary all her life, so what was this odd power, (or ability, or whatever it is) doing, showing up now? This is all completely new to her. There was no previous warning of this.

Or was there?

Mirabelle's memories sweep back to when she was a young child. Her mom was calling to her.
"Mira! Mirabelle!" she calls, and Mirabelle immediately runs right over.
"Mommy? What is it?" she asks curiously. Her mother always had some story up her sleeve that she was ready to share with Mirabelle. "Is it another story? I hope it's another story!"
"Yes, dear," Mirabelle's mother reassures her. "It's another story. But this one's a little bit different."
"Different how?" Mira inquires.
"This story is a true one."
"Ohhh!" an awestruck Mira breathes. Her mother then commences with the story.

"Once upon a time, there was a young girl, just like you. However, this little girl got cold faster than everybody else, even if she was bundled up. One day, she was playing in the snow with her friends. They were having a snowball fight, and the young girl got hit by one too many snowballs. Soon, she started to get cold. Really cold. She was shivering quite a bit, and her mother noticed. The young girl was pulled inside, and when her mother wasn't looking, she climbed into the fire.

"Now, I know this sounds insane, but the girl didn't get burned at all. In fact, she was enjoying the fire. She was a part of it. She could control every aspect of it. Her emotions made it react, and she was completely linked to the flame. Soon enough, she noticed her mother shivering a little bit as well, and she warmed up the entire home with just a mere thought.

That girl was my great-grandmother. This power is something that is passed down, so you might have it too. Who knows?" Mirabelle's mother chuckled a little. "The end."

Mirabelle is returned to reality upon the return of Jake.
"What on earth happened here?!" he exclaims in surprise.
"I've got some sort of hereditary control over flames," Mirabelle replies awkwardly. She expects Jake to act like she's gone absolutely mad, but instead, the opposite happens. Jake completely believes her.
"Mirabelle," Jake says confidently, "I've known all along, waiting for you to discover it."
Mirabelle's mouth drops open.
"Now that it's here," Jake adds, "why don't we embark, Lady Lasair?"