Thoughts on Publishing and Experiences

Sstavix
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
Since it came up in a different thread, I thought it would be good to split this idea off into its own topic! Let's share thoughts on getting published and, if you have been published, your experiences and advice.
Arcticfox wrote:Have you considered self publishing? A friend of mine did that on an Internet based self publisher.
I have considered it, actually. One of the prizes for NaNoWriMo is a free "proof copy" of your novel from Amazon's Createspace, which is one way to transition yourself into getting your works listed on Amazon's site.

However, I have read that once you do the self-publishing route, it gets extremely difficult to get picked up by another publisher - even small-press ones like WiDo. So I'm wanting to explore other avenues first before going that route.

I think it's better in the long run, actually. I've started on the fifth edit of my latest novel, and the frequent rewrites / edits / revisions has helped to make it stronger overall. Each time I catch something I missed the last time through. These are changes that I probably would not have made if I had published after the second or third draft.

Now I just hope and pray that a publisher will see the novel as a solid piece as well!
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
I have used this one: http://www.avidreaderspg.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
The thought of getting a published novel piques some interest with me. Is it merely a matter of getting your book out to a ton of different publishing companies and hoping someone picks it up?
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Perhaps not a "ton." Most publisher's submission guidelines that I've read indicates that, when you submit a manuscript to them, they would rather not have the manuscript submitted to other publishers at the same time. And you may not hear back on your submission for three to six months. So it's a slow process to get a publisher's interest.

Also keep in mind that some publishers will only work with agents. Others absolutely refuse to work with agents. Each publisher tends to have their submission guidelines posted on their Web page, so it's helpful to read through them and follow the guidelines to the letter.

And there's always a self-publishing route that can be taken, too! Especially with the increase of print-on-demand, Web-based publishers out there nowadays.