Ask a Question, Get Deep!

If you want to publicly ask a specific member a question, do so here.
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
I had a response typed out...and then my browser crashed. All gone. :(

Short version is both, but for different subjects. I'm not sure how I feel about the Trinity doctrine, but I like to think of God handling the big things, and Jesus handling the personal things. But they're both the same...and separate. And this kind of mental loop is what happens when I think about the Trinity too hard. XD
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
The state and future of VR?
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Currently VR is not in what I would call a good state. Sure, it's interesting and improving, but there is nothing that makes it a real "Innovation" in the same way that, say, analog sticks or 3D graphics were. The "games" are barely more than tech demos, and VR excludes a not-insignificant portion of the gaming populace who have vision or physical problems that make VR uncomfortable or impossible to use.

The truth is...I don't see VR getting any more mainstream than motion controls. Motion controls exist (and usually end up being more frustrating than truly engrossing), but they have not replaced standard controllers. But they still exist. I think that likewise, VR will continue to exist, but it will never achieve the same mainstream penetration as the analog stick or 3D graphics.
RedPlums
VIP Member
VIP Member
Doing your taxes?
This is my signature
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Not quite as annoying as everyone says, but still kind of tedious. Thankfully (or not?) my assets are so simple that I only have to deal with income tax deductions.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Pretty much how I feel about VR, but I am less positive towards its outlook. Aside from the lack of games, I'm not willing to pay another $500 (potentially more) for essentially an add-on. Even if VR had real games...they would have to be very, very good games for me to invest that kind of money. Like...Elder Scrolls, or Destiny good. Mario good. For the price of a PSVR (realistically, the only headset feasible for me), I could get an Xbox One and a dozen games for it.

Plus, I sweat a lot. -_- No one will want to use that headset after I spend 8 hours in it.

When you need to write the portion of one tale, but your mind keeps drifting to another story entirely?
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Isaac Asimov purportedly had that problem. His solution was to write one thing until he could no longer focus on it, then jump to something else and write down bits of that. Basically, he had a ton of projects going on at once, and his strategy was always have something else to write if one of the projects ends up being difficult.

Now, there is another strategy I have, if what you describe happens. Write to a stopping point (A logical chapter break or end of a passage), then jump over to another document/page. Write down what you can about that story (generally until you run out of steam), then save it/store it somewhere where you will see it.

Not super efficient...
RedPlums
VIP Member
VIP Member
Football?
This is my signature
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
The American version?

Meeeeeeeh. I take issue with a sport that encourages that much physical contact that results in injuries. It's one thing to get injured by tripping or having a ball impact you, it's quite another to deliberately charge at someone so hard that they get a concussion. While this is bad enough for adults, I think it should probably be prohibited for high school children. Concussions will absolutely mess a developing brain up, and then you have parents who deliberately hold kids back a grade so that they can be stronger versus kids in that grade... yeah.

If you like it, that's fine. I just don't want to support a sport like that.

The sport everyone else calls football (Soccer)?

It's alright I guess. I don't care too much one way or the other. If it's on the TV at someone's house, I'll watch it.
RedPlums
VIP Member
VIP Member
Good answers.

I've begun saving for a laptop, any suggestions?
This is my signature
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
I've heard good things about Lenovo, and I have some good experiences with Acer laptops.

The truth is, I don't have a laptop that I use on a regular basis, and the only one I own is a MacBook Pro.
RedPlums
VIP Member
VIP Member
I've also begun saving for a new car.

Suggestions?
This is my signature
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Few general things:

First: By used. This is probably something you already know, but new cars drop in value like a rock. Used is the way to go.

Second: make sure you like how comfortable you are in the drivers seat. This sounds obvious, but really make sure you like how you fit in the car.

Now, specific things:

What is your average use case? If you do a lot of offroad/ice driving, then you really want a car with 4WD. If you do a lot of heavy lifting, then a truck is for you. Otherwise, you'll probably want a compact. Compact cars are really nice because the small footprint allows you to park almost anywhere, and the gas mileage really helps the old wallet. If you don't care too much about keeping things in your trunk hidden, a hatchback is a really great option. I have a Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback, and I like it well enough. If I could go back, I'd probably get a Kia Soul instead, but it's not a bad car.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Time travel is always a sticky concept?
RedPlums
VIP Member
VIP Member
I would prefer and SUV or Hatchback to hold more stuff as i move around a lot.

I know to generally try and stay away from american made because they don't have the best track record, unless i have 10k to spend on a newer model.

Manual transmission or automatic?
This is my signature