Ask a Question, Get Deep!

If you want to publicly ask a specific member a question, do so here.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Ew. No. *Throws dead space on the ground and burns it with a horrified shudder*

RPG maker?
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
Well, that was pretty much what I said when I dropped it, lol. Way too creepy for me. XD

Never really used RPG Maker. I own a version of it, but I have to admit, my ideas for RPGs involve art styles not so 16-bit as RPG Maker facilitates. But on the other hand...I have stories I want to tell, and maybe I just need to swallow my pride and suffer through the art style. XD
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Dead Space, for me, was creepy for twenty minutes. The horror of the situation, the nightmarish creatures jumping from every corner, to not knowing what was real and what was madness...then it got boring. Because the game boiled down to 'monsters jump out, soak everything with blood, wash down with gore, repeat after someone dies horribly'. That's why the game disturbed me so much; it wasn't about trying to scare me. It was about trying to be as gory as possible. It was a big reason behind why I quit playing ultra violent games.

I'd like someone to take the idea behind it and make a better game though, as the overall tale is pretty cool.

Humble has RPG Maker VX Ace in a bundle. It's not the newest iteration, but I went ahead and bought it. I tend to be more of an action RPG guy, but I'm still exploring the system to see what it can do. Generic or not, the two games I've played from it have been pretty good.

Thor: Ragnarok?
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
The atmosphere was just so...oppressive. Couldn't get more than an hour in. Combine that with the combat, which got old real fast...yeah. Maybe I'll reconsider and just play Second Sight instead for the time being. XD

Though if you want a game similar to Dead Space, but with less gore and a more cyberpunk atmosphere, I heartily recommend System Shock 1 and 2. In fact, Dead Space was going to be System Shock 3, until Resident Evil 4 came out and ruined everything. System Shock 1 and 2 have some gore, but it's not as over the top as Dead Space. Further, the atmosphere of the games is less oppressive and more like a thriller than a horror game. Plus, they're classics for a reason. Though I will warn you, System Shock 1 is super dated and has some crazy control schemes. But yes, I highly recommend them.

I have VX Ace from something else, the Humble Bundle might interest me some if it includes some DLC I don't have for VX Ace. Might check it out. I'm curious how possible it is to create adventure/puzzle/story-driven games in it, because while I don't hate RPGs, I'm not really in the mood to make one right now.

To be honest, I dunno how to feel about Thor: Ragnarok. I will probably do what I did for Doctor Strange: Wait for it to come out on digital rental.
evered
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Favorite webcomics?
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Well, depends on whether or not you count currently running strips or not, but here's a short list:

"Traditional" webcomics:

The Order of the Stick
DM of the Rings
Darths and Droids
Cyanide & Happiness (NOTE: This is very much not for kids)

In terms of solo artists who do comics in a not-serialized form:

Sarah Anderson (Sarah's Scribbles)
Matthew Inman (The Oatmeal)
Alex Norris (Webcomic Name)
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
System Shock is on my list of classics to play. I don't know why I haven't given it a shot already. I need a game for Halloween this year. Probably I will finally get through Costume Quest, or try to. Every time I pick up a real horror game I play it for three hours, get totally traumatized, get rid of it, then want to play another three weeks later. I hate it. But I can't fix it. XD

Coming up with deliberately cryptic clues?
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
System Shock is well worth playing. :P

I would like to think I'm good at it, but it's possible I'm just good at creating confusing clues that are more difficult to solve due to bad wording than intentional wording.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Which is sorta where I feel I'm at; I don't want to be a 90's point and click. XD I have to come up with 23 obscure trivia questions for the 'Ween, and I've got legitimate stress over it. I know of people in the circle of invitees who are...to put it kindly, sore losers. XD I can already hear the "I would have gotten that answer if not for the bad wording/typo/sociopolitical climate". O_o Gives me the fidgets.

Using invisible ultraviolet lights to make 'ghosts' visible only on cell phone cameras?
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
I didn't know that was even a thing. Could you tell me more?
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
I'm not sure it is a thing, actually. Ultraviolet light on the end of the spectrum which is invisible to human eyes is still seen by digital cameras, like the ones in cell cameras. So the theory is that, if you could find ultraviolet LED's on the invisible end of the spectrum (like the ones used in optical mice), in a dark locale they would only be visible to cellphone camera. So you could create spooky eye effects or at the very least tag spots in a 'ghost hunt'

The problem I seem to be having is finding UV LED's that don't emit visible light for straight up purchase. I haven't given up though, as the idea is just way too cool. XD

Uncomfortable pants are the worst?

Edit: Beautiful. They can see the IR spectrum too. <3 Makes life much easier.
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Hmm. Interesting. I dunno what to tell you about finding UV lights though, sorry.

Uncomfortable clothes are the worst. Doesn't matter what kind, but if they aren't comfortable begone! I hate dress clothing for precisely that reason. Ugh.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
You could tell me to buy the cheaper, easier to find IR LED's. :P

Nothing destroys your feelings of invincibility more than a stubbed toe?
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
I dunno, tripping and falling does a pretty good job too. :P
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Granted. But you can always feign serious injury/death so that people don't laugh at you. I just don't know why toes cause so much pain when they are the part of the body most likely to be hurt by walking.

Jury duty?