Ask a Question, Get Deep!

If you want to publicly ask a specific member a question, do so here.
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
I suppose, but the message still doesn't hit home with me. I guess it's a case of "Well, George has family, friends, and neighbors who all love him." Meanwhile, I've not made a single new friend since I moved away from home (While I would absolutely move away again, if I had to do it over I'd move to a place where I actually knew people). I can barely stand to be around my family at the holidays. The most interaction I have with people outside of work is occasional words with someone on a train platform.

All of this to say: My life might have a positive impact others, but that doesn't mean it's anything close to resembling a life I want. I guess what I'm trying to say (and please don't take this as a 'I want to hurt myself' thing, because it's not) is "What's the point in continuing to exist, even if it makes others better, if my own life feels like it isn't worth living?" Again, please don't take this as me being suicidal or anything, I keep trying to articulate this in a way that doesn't sound like an emo teenager, but I keep coming up short. Turns out words are hard, yo. But basically the message of the movie seemed to be "Think about how great your life is before you end it" and I keep finding ways that it, well, isn't great.

While I am not immune to appreciating the way my life impacts others, that's only half of the story. The other half is the problem for me. Anyway, sorry, I'm rambling again...

I haven't done a white elephant gift exchange in ages. See the "no friends" comment above, but also keep in mind that I didn't do them much outside of high school even when I had friends. XD
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Yeah, but George's friend and family were a constant source of aggravation to him (and I am NOT even kind of trying to draw a parallel between you). He didn't want them; he wanted to change the world, and his family kept him tied down. Inheriting his father's business was a curse to him (one he carried only because his brother would have had to take it over had he refused), his uncle was a constant source of irritation, and he absolutely hated his hometown.

But George wasn't killing himself because he wanted to end his life. He was doing it as his final, misguided attempt to finally change the world (by cashing in his insurance policy to save the town and his crazy uncle from the evil Potter). Clarence's message was not 'dude you got it sweet. Suck it up and get over yourself', but...'Look at how much of a difference you have made simply by being you. You have changed the world already'.

That's not half of the story; it's the beating heart of it. Without that it's a hollow Christmas tale (which is, interestingly enough, what it has been made into in all the "totally not IAWL scnerario LOL" remakes. :P ) It's not that he learned to appreciate his life because he was shown how awesome it was in comparison. He, like Scrooge before him, learned to see the world through new eyes, and in so doing learned how precious his life was.

Which is why George Bailey was 'saved' and not merely 'shown that he should get over himself because his life was actually good in comparison'. Which is a terrible message and not really helpful. XD

Dice Masters?
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
I mean, I can see how you'd think that, but that's not how I interpreted the film as a depressed person. XD

Not familiar with that. I'm guessing something relating to tabletop games?
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
I struggle with depression too. Not as severe. But it is there. It's why I like the movie so much, actually. It reassures me that even though I am not out changing the world in huge ways, I am still making a difference in the little choices I make each day.

The only thing better than ice cream is free ice cream?
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
I guess so, though I've been trying to cut down on my sugar intake because I need to lose weight. So Ice Cream is not something I've indulged in for quite a while. XD
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
I have dedicated my life to the protection of others. I keep myself fat so that, in the event of a zombie apocalypse, I will always be able to offer myself to the horde to protect whoever is with me.

I'm a hero.

Driving over bridges?

Also, Dice Masters is a TCG...but with dice in addition to cards. It comes in Marvel, DC, D&D, TMNT, and Yu-gi-Oh, and supposedly all of the systems are compatible with each other. My interests are piqued, as a rather large starter set can be purchased for like...$10.
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
I don't mind driving over bridges usually, but the I-5 bridge over the Columbia is one I hate because it gets so busy and it's in dire need of replacement.

Also, that Dice Masters thing sounds interesting, though I tend to avoid TCGs on principle because I don't like spending money on them. XD
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Yeah, but the Dice masters starter kits have like...48 dice and assorted cards, which is apparently enough for two players. For $10. And boosters can be found for like...$1. I feel like I should have someone tie me to a mast. Or I should stop browsing Amazon. I really want the TMNT kit anyway, which is double the stuff and the price. And just not feasible. C'est la vie.

It's all fun and games until you accidentally eat a bug?
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Browsing Amazon is a dangerous game, friend. You need to be made of sterner stuff than I to resist the temptations that lie there. XD

I suppose so, but I would also count creating a bug (in programming) as also being a terminal condition for fun and games. :P
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
That was pretty hilarious, I won't lie. I laughed at that.

When the villain is so blatantly obvious that you can't understand how the characters don't see it?
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
At that point I wonder if the villain is actually a ruse to the reader, a sort of red herring villain. It's not the first time I've seen that happen...lol
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Did you get The Curse of Osiris?
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
I did! Haven't played the story yet, probably going to start that tonight. Hooray work. :/

I will say it's kind of lame that the expansion basically locks out prestige nightfalls and heroic raids from those who only have the base game.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
It might just be the fact I played vanilla for almost six months before TTK, but that doesn't bother me. I got used to a ton of stuff being locked out, or not having access to it. Heck, I was on the wrong end of the 'guess what, legacy consoles?!' ROI debacle. XD Missing the hardmode raid or nightfalls is just like...not a big deal. Makes sense, really, as they've updated them to include story elements from CoO.

Sometimes the only thing that will console you is spicy fried chicken?
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
I suppose so. I got on the Destiny 1 train after TKK, so this is a whole new experience for me.

And yeah, spicy fried chicken is a great substitute for therapy on occasion (Though I won't dismiss the value of real mental health therapy, sometimes good food is good for the soul).