Ask a Question, Get Deep!

If you want to publicly ask a specific member a question, do so here.
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
Seems useful enough, I guess.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Star Wars: Destiny?
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Hmm. I dunno. I don't much care for collectable card games these days, and I remain unconvinced of the "wow" factor of the current post-Jedi Star Wars stories. I could maybe be convinced to try it if I were gifted it, but I don't really want to spend money on yet another CCG. XD
RedPlums
VIP Member
VIP Member
Latex?
This is my signature
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Useful for gloves and balloons, unless you're allergic to it.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
See, I feel that way about all CCG's, ever since I built up a Pogeymons card collection back in the day...but it seems like everyone and their grandma has fallen in love with it, and it's sold out pretty much everywhere, so I find myself contemplating the attempt to get into it...if they ever reprint it, anyway.

The awkwardness of talking about a story your wrote with family?
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Depends on the story, I suppose.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
I tend to be uncomfortable talking about my writing around my family. I don't know why. They've been nothing but encouraging, it's just...not something I seem to be able to talk about smoothly. XD There's nothing in there I'm embarrassed about (though I did have one of the characters make a swear. >_>), just...awkward.

The general lack of toilet breaks in fiction?

Also:

?
RedPlums
VIP Member
VIP Member
HBO?
This is my signature
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Chozon1 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:00 am I tend to be uncomfortable talking about my writing around my family. I don't know why. They've been nothing but encouraging, it's just...not something I seem to be able to talk about smoothly. XD There's nothing in there I'm embarrassed about (though I did have one of the characters make a swear. >_>), just...awkward.
I think I see what you're saying. I generally don't talk about my writing with my family because my brothers are hyper-critical, and the rest don't care about fantasy or sci fi, which I write. XD
The general lack of toilet breaks in fiction?
There's a thing I've heard which I'll just call "economy of story" (I don't remember the actual name). The principle is that if the scene you are writing does not tell you something meaningful about the characters, does not advance the story, or does not further any overarching themes you are infusing the work with, then omit it. Most of the revelations that might be had while taking a toilet break could also be anywhere else, and generally people don't want to read about characters doing that sort of thing. XD
Also:

?
Not too bad. Sounds kind of like some variant of melodic metal. While I don't know that the riffage is anything exceptional, it's competent, which is certainly something. I like that the vocals are clean (A rarity among the heavier metal types), but I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the singer's voice.

Again, to clarify: I don't dislike it, I just don't know if I would listen to it in a daily basis or anything. XD
RedPlums wrote:HBO?
HBO is...complicated.

Let's talk about the good first:

HBO has done what no other TV network had done (up until recently, inspired by HBO): Take TV programming seriously enough to fund it well. Regardless of how you feel about Game of Thrones, the funding it received was unprecedented, and I think the runaway success its had has been due in part to the show being well funded. There have been plenty of serious shows that weren't funded poorly by any means, but none on the scale of Game of Thrones. I also think that as far as adaptations of fiction go, the TV show model is the best for complex books such as Dune and A Song of Ice and Fire. The TV show model allows for slower building of plot and world, without compromising as much to shorten the material.

And I'm thrilled that networks like Netflix have been doing this too. A Series of Unfortunate Events is a prime example of an adaptation being taken seriously and given the funding it deserves. I attribute the quality of Netflix originals to the success found by HBO in its shows.

But let's talk about the bad:

There's no easy way to phrase it, so I'll come out and say it: HBO can be excessive when it comes adult subject matter. I am not opposed to adult subject matter being in my media, but HBO strains the limits of my taste sometimes. Game of Thrones has an almost eye-roll-inducing amount of nudity for the sake of nudity. There are times where I just go "Enough!" and have to stop watching for a bit.

So in conclusion, I am super thankful for HBO showing companies like Netflix that well-funded and well-executed shows can succeed as adaptations of other source material, but I also wish they had more programming that was less over the top.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Deepfreeze32 wrote: There's a thing I've heard which I'll just call "economy of story" (I don't remember the actual name). The principle is that if the scene you are writing does not tell you something meaningful about the characters, does not advance the story, or does not further any overarching themes you are infusing the work with, then omit it. Most of the revelations that might be had while taking a toilet break could also be anywhere else, and generally people don't want to read about characters doing that sort of thing. XD
I know. And I don't really want to read about every time a character needs to take a dump. But think about it. The Fellowship saved all of Middle Earth over the course of a year...with not a single potty break. Luke Skywalker defeated the emperor on a full bladder. And Mario, a plumber surely familiar with toilets, never actually uses one. O_o Not that I would want to see that, but...I mean really; if someone is going to claim their writing is realistic by adding sex, language, and violence, I also want them to add bouts diarrhea from the strange food they ate. That's far more real life. XD

How about this one?

For myself, I love the band. Something about them just syncs with me, though I couldn't put a finger on what it is. <3 They seem very hit or miss with other people I show them too, however.
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
That one was actually pretty good. I like the more power ballad-ish feel of that one.
RedPlums
VIP Member
VIP Member
Jerry Seinfield?
This is my signature
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Meh. I never really got Seinfeld, and I'm not really a huge fan of stand-up comedy.
RedPlums
VIP Member
VIP Member
Sit-down comedy?
This is my signature