Ask the Mormon

If you want to publicly ask a specific member a question, do so here.
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
Did you ever play Planescape: Torment back in the day? Torment: Tides of Numenera is a spiritual successor to that game. It's very story driven, and it uses Monte Cook's Numenera setting and rules. It's definitely interesting, and I especially like how each combat scenario (called a "crisis") is designed with the ability to get out of it using other means than combat if you so choose.

I really like it. I'd recommend picking it up whenever it goes on sale for your chosen platform (Or you can pay full price, if you really want to).

How about Pillars of Eternity?
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Who came up with the idea of a silent 'o'?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Deepfreeze32 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:02 pm Did you ever play Planescape: Torment back in the day? Torment: Tides of Numenera is a spiritual successor to that game. It's very story driven, and it uses Monte Cook's Numenera setting and rules. It's definitely interesting, and I especially like how each combat scenario (called a "crisis") is designed with the ability to get out of it using other means than combat if you so choose.

I really like it. I'd recommend picking it up whenever it goes on sale for your chosen platform (Or you can pay full price, if you really want to).

How about Pillars of Eternity?
Heard of it, haven't played it.

My gaming range these days is fairly narrow. I tend to go deeper into a small number of games.
Chozon1 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:31 am Who came up with the idea of a silent 'o'?
<mature joke comment redacted>

The English. They came up with all the weird things in language. As Americans, we've only fixed a small part of it.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
If it was mature, it probably wouldn't have needed to be redacted. >_>

Are any of the books in the Humble Horus Heresy bundle worth reading? I like the Heresy stuff, but I'm not really in the mood for over-the-top violence and such.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Chozon1 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:35 am If it was mature, it probably wouldn't have needed to be redacted. >_>

Are any of the books in the Humble Horus Heresy bundle worth reading? I like the Heresy stuff, but I'm not really in the mood for over-the-top violence and such.
Anything you read by Black Library is going to be pretty violent. Some authors are more explicit than others but I can't think of one off the top of my head that's very tame.

That said, I really liked many of the HH novels. The first 4 in the series are probably the best, with #4 (Flight of the Eisenstein) being one of my most favorite, but that's partly because of who appears in it. I also liked "The First Heretic" just because it was very well written. "A Thousand Sons" is pretty great as well, along with "Prospero Burns" which tells the same story but from a different point of view.

For the price, you would definitely get your money's worth, but if you don't like violence in your literature, some of them can be really hard to get through. After all, these are stories set in the grimdark universe of Warhammer 40,000 and mostly feature Space Marines with ginormous weapons and major anger issues.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Hmm...thank you. I didn't end up getting them, and I'll have to think it over before making the leap, I suppose. There are bits in the last edition of the Space Marine codex that make me feel a bit squeamish, so I kinda figured the books would be worse, but I wasn't sure. XD

The return of the Primarchs?

Not gonna lie; I'm still not a 40K player, but I kinda nerded out when I read that Robbie G returned. :O
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Chozon1 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:24 am The return of the Primarchs?
I think it's cool, and I'm glad to see them advancing the timeline.

At the same time, it seems like they're suffering a lack of creativity. The Primarchs have been a thing for a long, long time... so this feels less like an inspired story idea and more like them recombining old stuff. Could they have advanced the timeline WITHOUT going back to that well? Apparently not.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
True. But I'm kinda hoping Cipher is going to try and kill the Emperor. >_>

Any thoughts on the advent of 8th edition?
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
So I could use some career advice.

I'm pretty sure I'm getting burned out on programming. I don't really find it fun, I never do it in my free time anymore, and work is mentally exhausting to the point where I don't get to enjoy the rest of the day because I'm too tired.

If you've ever dealt with burnout, how did you overcome it? And if you've not dealt with burnout, well, how might you if the circumstances arose?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Deepfreeze32 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:49 pm So I could use some career advice.

I'm pretty sure I'm getting burned out on programming. I don't really find it fun, I never do it in my free time anymore, and work is mentally exhausting to the point where I don't get to enjoy the rest of the day because I'm too tired.

If you've ever dealt with burnout, how did you overcome it? And if you've not dealt with burnout, well, how might you if the circumstances arose?
If you like the industry but are just burned out on coding, then you have some options besides switching careers:
  • -Think up. See if you can upgrade to a team lead or supervisor. You may still have coding responsibilities, but having other things worked into your day may help break up the monotony.
    -Sidegrade. See if you can get into another aspect of the IT realm. Maybe get into DBA work, or SysAdmin, etc.
    -Switch to a different job or project. It may be that coding itself is less the culprit, and it's more the environment or the project.
I hope that helps!
Chozon1 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:19 am True. But I'm kinda hoping Cipher is going to try and kill the Emperor. >_>

Any thoughts on the advent of 8th edition?
I dunno. It seems like they had no choice to balance the game but to start over, with all previous rules and codices being nixed. That said, I'm a little irritated that it's only been 2 years since 7th dropped, and only 2 years before that we had 6th. Now, we'll be seeing a rules update come out every year, ala' Age of Sigmar.

So I guess I think the rules are making a necessary reset, but I'm not looking forward to having to keep paying to play, continuously.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
I've heard that the core rules are free, but that won't help with codices...it's dependent on what they consider core too, I guess.

Cuts on the ends of your fingers are infinitely frustrating?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Hopefully the rules for units will continue to be distributed either with the unit or in the yearly updates... AoS had promised no army books, then released a couple anyway though I'm not sure if ALL factions get one. We'll see.

Yes, yes they are.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
I actually kinda like how they did the 'codices', but I know it would get frustrating if you played multiple armies that were from different books. And it seems like they kinda kicked chaos players in the teeth by invalidating a lot of the legion rules that were just released a short while ago.

Shellfish?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
To be honest, I liked having codices too... It felt like your army was getting some love when a new book was released just for your faction. The problem, unfortunately, was power creep. Each codex released was slightly more powerful, which led to "flavor of the month" gaming where people would always look to play the most powerful, (which often meant latest) army. How people afforded to do that I'll never know. Worse was when some codices would receive more frequent updates than others. For instance, my Bretonnia army book's most recent release was in 2005... in a game that only just got discontinued two years ago. My Black Templars codex was from 2003 before it got rolled into the general Space Marine book at around the same time.

And yes, I LOVE shellfish. I'm from Maryland. Loving blue crab is required by law...
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
I'm interested to see how GW continues onwards, as from this point it seems like all the factions are starting off on the same level. Maybe? I would hope so, anyway.

I am actually not a fan of shellfish...But then, I'm from northern MS, and it's pretty expensive here. XD

Getting teeth pulled?