Beseech thy lord

If you want to publicly ask a specific member a question, do so here.
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Location: Surrounded by blood and bathed in fire on a frozen lake
Yeah I lost my pipe so I've been smoking a lot of Cohibas lately myself.

Is it only us ruggedly handsome blue collar types, or do you routinely find women in their fifties hitting on you?
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
Ever had Two Hearted Ale? It's rated among the better IPAs in the country (well, according a couple websites, but I have to push my Michigan pride around somehow, don't I? :P).

I mean, I would drink the bottled urine of Bells Brewery employees, honestly. I'd pay $8 a six-pack, too. It'd be delicious. That place is the crown jewel of the state >_>

It seems like Michigan produces some highly rated Stouts and a few good Porters. Cider too, if you like that (and if you don't, you hate America). Bells produces a couple highly rated IPAs but they, along with Founders, seem to fall into line with that trend (on the beer charts, anyway). Founders is pretty awesome too, but I've had less of their stuff. Well, dang. I have weekend plans now.

EDIT: Apparently we also produce a lot of mead? I know a couple beekeepers but I had no idea it was that popular around here XD I'm on a journey of self-discovery in regards to the breweries around here :D
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
Jorgmeisterwork
Every know and then the question rises if our moon is made of cheese. But, what about the 2 moons at Mars? Are they too of cheese?
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Orodrist wrote:Yeah I lost my pipe so I've been smoking a lot of Cohibas lately myself.

Is it only us ruggedly handsome blue collar types, or do you routinely find women in their fifties hitting on you?
Haha, not sure. I want to say I've had more of that when I was younger, but that also might have been when I went to church more often. But being a married man might take some of the allure of the "younger man" away. Also, I'm getting older.

Also, you're in Florida.
ChickenSoup wrote:Ever had Two Hearted Ale? It's rated among the better IPAs in the country (well, according a couple websites, but I have to push my Michigan pride around somehow, don't I? :P).

I mean, I would drink the bottled urine of Bells Brewery employees, honestly. I'd pay $8 a six-pack, too. It'd be delicious. That place is the crown jewel of the state >_>

It seems like Michigan produces some highly rated Stouts and a few good Porters. Cider too, if you like that (and if you don't, you hate America). Bells produces a couple highly rated IPAs but they, along with Founders, seem to fall into line with that trend (on the beer charts, anyway). Founders is pretty awesome too, but I've had less of their stuff. Well, dang. I have weekend plans now.

EDIT: Apparently we also produce a lot of mead? I know a couple beekeepers but I had no idea it was that popular around here XD I'm on a journey of self-discovery in regards to the breweries around here :D
No, but I've been meaning to try Bell's IPA. I heard good things about it.

I'm really glad to see MI's craft brew scene opening up. When I visited last summer, my uncle already was into the local craft stouts. I was muy proud. I've been largely characterizing the MI beer scene as Stout heavy, while, for example, the West Coast is king of IPAs, particularly Oregon. Think that's pretty fair to say?

And oh, yeah, MI better be into Ciders! I remember all those apple orchards. Love me some fresh cider. Probably even more than hard cider. Fresh cider and plain donuts after an afternoon of filling up a giant mesh bag full of apples and rocking the hay ride around the orchard. Tell me you know this.
Jorgmeisterwork wrote:Every know and then the question rises if our moon is made of cheese. But, what about the 2 moons at Mars? Are they too of cheese?
They are actually just asteroids caught in Mars orbit, so that makes them kettle corn.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
I'm really glad to see MI's craft brew scene opening up. When I visited last summer, my uncle already was into the local craft stouts. I was muy proud. I've been largely characterizing the MI beer scene as Stout heavy, while, for example, the West Coast is king of IPAs, particularly Oregon. Think that's pretty fair to say?
Yup! And I'm pretty okay with that, haha. I've gotten a bit into stouts, though I couldn't really name a bunch off the top of my head that I prefer, although IIRC they're from Founder's. Aside from that, I've really been digging this Vanilla Java Porter from Atwater (Based in Detroit). Like a... more coffee-heavy Guiness, almost, with almost a chocolatey flavor, but subtle enough to not be gross.
And oh, yeah, MI better be into Ciders! I remember all those apple orchards. Love me some fresh cider. Probably even more than hard cider. Fresh cider and plain donuts after an afternoon of filling up a giant mesh bag full of apples and rocking the hay ride around the orchard. Tell me you know this.
I'm pretty sure consumption of cider and donuts is part of the state Constitution :P Actually, my parents have a small orchard (as in, about 8 apple trees as well as a couple peach trees in the backyard). It's a truly glorious thing to behold come September-October. :D

ANYWAY. Played Endless Space? I got it super cheap on a Steam deal (or maybe it was part of a bundle with something?) and I haven't touched it yet. Now, I still have a bit of a backlog to finish while not doing homework for grad school, but 1) have you played it and 2) general impressions?
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
ChickenSoup wrote:Yup! And I'm pretty okay with that, haha. I've gotten a bit into stouts, though I couldn't really name a bunch off the top of my head that I prefer, although IIRC they're from Founder's. Aside from that, I've really been digging this Vanilla Java Porter from Atwater (Based in Detroit). Like a... more coffee-heavy Guiness, almost, with almost a chocolatey flavor, but subtle enough to not be gross.
Nice! As you've known, I was just about exclusively an IPA guy, but I've been developing, at least, somewhat of a taste for stouts. There is a stout out of Utah called Big, Bad Baptist which I find pretty good. Hard to find. It's a chocolate coffee stout.

Also, one thing I found, stouts pair really well with chocolaty desserts. Went to this restaurant/pub here called Stein's Beer Garden and they had this pretty decadent brownie sort of dessert and it paired unbelievably well with this Campfire stout. It was up there with the best pairs I've had. Seriously, brownies and stouts. The world needs more of them.
ChickenSoup wrote:I'm pretty sure consumption of cider and donuts is part of the state Constitution Actually, my parents have a small orchard (as in, about 8 apple trees as well as a couple peach trees in the backyard). It's a truly glorious thing to behold come September-October.
Haha, come to think of it, even after we moved to California, my parents planted 3 apples trees in the backyard. Apples, I guess, never fully leaves MI blood.
ChickenSoup wrote:ANYWAY. Played Endless Space? I got it super cheap on a Steam deal (or maybe it was part of a bundle with something?) and I haven't touched it yet. Now, I still have a bit of a backlog to finish while not doing homework for grad school, but 1) have you played it and 2) general impressions?
Haha, yes! I actually rather like it. I feel it's the best modern interpretation of Master of Orion. I still recommend Master of Orion 2 if anyone wants to get into Space 4X, but if the age is a barrier, do Endless Space.

One of the big sells is that they've done multiplayer pretty well, I feel. MoO 2, I think, would be hard to get doing multiplayer over the internet. I think you'd have to set up a virtual lan and then run GOG's IPX tunnel over it to get it going. Endless Space goes right over steam integration.

Definitely check it out, and maybe we can get a game going. Might have to check if we can do a PBE set up since it's been hard to find time to sit down and game.

Also, been playing their latest release, Endless Legend. So far, I like it. Maybe even more.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
You know, I'm mulling over the thought (thought-tasting, if you will) and the brownie-stout combo is quite tantalizing. TO THE BAKERY
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Founders has a pile of great seasonal editions too. I need to stock up on Dark Penance while I can still find it.

Black IPAs?
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Not to hijack Arch's thread, but to join on the discussion:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/greenbush- ... pa/147464/

I don't go for Black IPAs often, but when I do...

:P

Anyway: science fiction or fantasy-that-happens-to-take-place-in-space?
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
Did you try any of the other Hobbit themed beers after that Smaug Stout we tried?

I saw there was a Gollum-themed Pils, but I'm not a huge fan of Pils. :P There's also a Bolg-themed Trippel.
Jorgmeisterwork
ArchAngel wrote:
Jorgmeisterwork wrote:Every know and then the question rises if our moon is made of cheese. But, what about the 2 moons at Mars? Are they too of cheese?
They are actually just asteroids caught in Mars orbit, so that makes them kettle corn.
:thumbup:
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Orodrist wrote:Founders has a pile of great seasonal editions too. I need to stock up on Dark Penance while I can still find it.

Black IPAs?
Um, not as good as IPAs, but I like them better than stouts. So, quite literally, right in between.
ChickenSoup wrote:Not to hijack Arch's thread, but to join on the discussion:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/greenbush- ... pa/147464/

I don't go for Black IPAs often, but when I do...
I'll have to give this a try.
ChickenSoup wrote:Anyway: science fiction or fantasy-that-happens-to-take-place-in-space?
Shoot, that's a hard one. I like both a lot, and I like it when a story and universe has elements of both. Challenge the mind and dazzle the imagination.

Deepfreeze32 wrote:Did you try any of the other Hobbit themed beers after that Smaug Stout we tried?

I saw there was a Gollum-themed Pils, but I'm not a huge fan of Pils. :P There's also a Bolg-themed Trippel.
Was going to mention that I tried it, than I remembered I had it with you and, in fact, you just brought it up. Yeah, I passed up the Pils since I'm not a huge Pilsner fan. I was a little bummed they didn't have like a Azog IPA or something.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

Orodrist
CCGR addict
Had the Pils. It was adequate. Hoppier and boozier than your average one but not really my thing.

Weird beer ingredients?

ArchAngel
CCGR addict
This one probably takes the cake:

Dock Street Walker
http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/e ... -1.1734298
Brewed with roasted Goat Brains and Cranberries.

Not a fan of fruity beers.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

Orodrist
CCGR addict
I want that. I dunno if I'd drink it but I want it. I just got DFH's wasabi imperial pale ales so weird crap is on my mind.

Am I strange for saving bottles of my limited editions?