Ask a Question, Get Deep!

If you want to publicly ask a specific member a question, do so here.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
I've been doing a fifty-fifty split with my mom on our Thanksgiving menu for about five years now. Brining a turkey is essential to a moist and delicious (meaning edible and not terrible tasting) bird. I went a step farther this year and smoked it after brining it in a spiced beer and herb brine for two days. I also butchered it pre-brining so the deboned turkey can roast quickly and stay moist.

If you haven't realized it yet, I am unbelievably hyped over this turkey. :P

I also made about two gallons of stock from the bones. That stuff is liquid gold and will make gravy that shall be fought over.

Fighting over food for Thanksgiving?
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
Haven't had food fights at Thanksgiving yet. Mostly figting comes down to fighting over stupid political crap. My family knows my political leanings, and deliberately tries to provoke me by saying things that are the opposite of my views in hopes of annoying me. Well, it works, but it makes me really not want to be family with them. I'm more than willing to leave well enough alone when it comes to political discussions among family (I almost never respond to the provocations), but that mentality is a two-way-street and I'm the only one willing to not bring up those topics. And then I get accused of being a "snowflake" when I ask for us to, you know, NOT discuss politics at a family gathering.

I really don't like my family. :(
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
That is tough man. I'm sorry Deep. We're having a sort of weird sauce antithesis to that within our family, and at the moment I just want to slap someone and tell them to get over themselves. Essentially, we have a wing in the family that believes they are better than the rest of us. To the point of separating themselves into a clique at family gatherings. Always very polite and cordial of course, until the seating arrangements come up. :P

So, as you can imagine, family holiday gatherings become difficult to arrange when half the family acts like we're peons that don't exist, then becomes very offended when they don't receive an invite, only to show up and cloister themselves in a corner with the other 'cool people'. XD

I swear, they need a reality check. Written out in the kind hand of a well-deserved tear-laden rant. O_o I just don't understand.

Anyways, was your Thanksgiving alright otherwise? XD
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
I guess. Been feeling pretty down on a lot of things, so that tainted the holiday for me. I really need to change jobs.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
I'm sorry amigo. If you need an open ear I can volunteer one.

Any ideas for a different line of work?
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
None whatsoever. All I can tell you is I hate my current line of work, and...that's all the qualitative information I have. XD
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
I don't know what to say, really. I wish I could help. Talk to God about it. I'll pray for you too.

Why is it when people are trying to be a Grinch about Christmas decorations, I feel the deep-seated urge to don a bedazzled Santa suit and dance around them?

Furthermore, why do people use 'The Grinch' or "Scrooge' to describe themselves as angry or anti-Christmas when both of those tales are about embracing Christmas and loving your fellow man? XD The titular characters were redeemed from their spleen by the end of the tales, and the world was a better place for it.
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
For question 1: Because you like to troll people. :P

Question 2: I've always felt like it's because they want to enjoy Christmas, but the holidays have so much baggage associated with them so they feel like they can't. I dunno, maybe I'm just projecting my feelings onto it. XD
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Hey, that's not trolling.

It's Grinching. *puts on red and green sparkly sunglasses*

The Christmas song that comes on and immediately makes you want to shoot your radio?
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
So at the risk of being controversial...

Most of them. I can deal with Christmas music for a few weeks, but once the "classics" start to rotate, I start getting upset. I can only listen to Silver Bells or White Christmas so many times before I want to destroy the radio.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
That's not really controversial. Frankly, I don't listen to the radio after the first two weeks of December. They've repeated everything hundreds of times by that point, and most of it is the terrible 'Christmas' music by pop or R&B artists who apparently only want romance or something illicit for Christmas.

Clearly, they have never played a PS4. >_>

TSO for me. For some reason, the stories they tell just don't get old.

Hallmark Christmas movies for the win? :P
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Well TSO gets a special exemption because their music has more in common with classical music or opera than it does with what amounts to decades-old pop songs that just happen to be played every year. XD

I actually haven't seen one in a while. I don't usually watch Christmas movies. In a controversial opinion, I don't think It's A Wonderful Life is that good.

Besides, the best Christmas movie is clearly the first Die Hard. >_>
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
I honestly think that IAWL has one of the most important messages ever delivered by cinema, but it's hilariously spurned by the millennial generation who are desperately seeking relevance and permanence. Which is irony, I think. Not pointing that gun at you, just saying. XD

Plus, Jimmy Stewart. I'm a fan. >_>

I still haven't seen Die Hard. O_o I actually want to watch it at Christmas time, just for the laughs.

Also, Hallmark movies are terrible. Just literally the worst. Bleh. Bad. No.

The strange feeling of going from very long hair to very short hair?
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Jimmy Stewart is one of the things I liked about IAWL. But on the subject of the message, here's the thing: As someone who struggles with depression and has attempted suicide in the past, the message of the movie kinda fell flat for me. "Look at how much impact your life has had on things!" Well, unlike George Bailey, most people don't inherit a banking business from their father. Most people don't live in a situation where their existence changes so many things about the town they grew up in. Now, granted, I will acknowledge that George Bailey is not suffering from depression like I experience it. For one thing, he seems to have a fundamentally happy life most of the time, which really speaks to the impermanence of the hard times he's going through when he contemplates jumping off the bridge. What Clarence does to save him is to show him just how good he had it, more or less.

But I can authoritatively say that I'm not the same way. My life has been fundamentally painful. I've dealt with a high rate of emotional and verbal abuse from a young age. For the longest time, everything about life has just felt...empty. Happiness is ephemeral, pain and sorrow are eternal. I'd say out of my childhood, maybe 10-15% of it would be what I consider to have been "wonderful." A further 20% was "acceptable" in the sense that it wasn't grand, but wasn't bad. The rest of it? I could do without.

So the movie seems to inspire this message of "Look and see how wonderful your life really was before you throw it away." But to someone like me, all I do is look back on my life and see the majority of a life I'd rather not have lived. And, well, I don't like thinking like that. So whenever IAWL comes on, I just step away, because I don't need to be reminded of my troubled past. Not at the holidays.

/soapbox

I've been growing my hair out, but I don't plan on cutting it any time soon, so I don't know if I will experience that feeling. XD
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Yeah...but the thing is, you can't really look back on your past and say "I've had no impact." Or even 'I haven't changed the town around me' because you have no objectivity or outside perspective. Which is, though it was aggrandized, what IAWL did. George thought he'd done nothing but waste his life chasing dreams until he saw the small ways simply doing what was right had effected big changes by seeing his life as though it had never been lived.

Amigo, I would not ever belittle your pain or problems. I wish I could help you somehow. But I can definitively say that...the time you bent over and handed some random person their dropped item changed their world. That time you held the door for someone. Maybe the time you let someone go ahead of you in traffic. In a small way, perhaps. You don't know, and neither do I. I can attest to little things like that giving me courage or restoring my hope especially when done by strangers.

Which is, by the by, the message of IAWL. We effect change by doing what is right with the path laid in front of us. We change the world by the littlest of actions. Our lives are important because without us the world would be fundamentally changed for the worse.

Also, that you should never leave your banking business in the hands of a man who talks to birds. This too, is important. >_>

White Elephant gift exchanges?