Leaving for a while.

New Raffles, Birthday Announcements, Introductions, Farewells can be found here.
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
Long story short, I'm getting married, honeymooning, beginning my fifth semester of grad school, organizing apartment stuff, and much more, especially considering my gradual drift from the fold of conservative Christianity. It's been a long time coming... It's been quite a while since I distanced myself from the MC server, and I've pretty much kept the majority of my communications here to the Debates/Spiritual Matters boards mostly out of interest for discussions I don't get to have very often IRL (seeking out debates to keep myself engaged with something over summer vacation, and all that).

Some backstory: I started a fundamental shift in my beliefs when I had to teach "True Love Waits" garbage to a bunch of middle schoolers. "You know how every sin is forgivable? Well, so is premarital sex, but this one makes you a used piece of trash that people will find hard to love. Also, you've let everyone down! Your parents, your friends, your church, and GOD HIMSELF! So try not to screw up--or prepare for slut-shaming!"

I am still a little ashamed of myself for not just walking out of that situation. Since then, I've drifted more and more away from the church at large and more into what I hope is a calmer, more constructive and rational set of ideas. I'm still a Christian, mind you. It's just, I've looked back on the last 10 years of posting here, and I feel there is a distinct pattern of discussion on these boards recently (last 1-2 years). It's probably always gone on, but having (as you can probably tell) "switched sides" in most of the discussions, I can't help but notice it more. It's kind of a toxic, one-sided choir-preaching by certain members where a differing opinion can be met with quite unwelcoming reactions. Threads that come to mind are our previous discussions about abstinence (what a debacle that was) and, more recently, abortion. Yet another thread earlier in the summer or spring involved me questioning the cherrry-picking of verses without consideration of context, and I was later literally told by someone "well, I'd show you more verses but you already demonstrated that you have no regard for Scripture." Um, what? Because I don't follow some kind of New Criticism, anti-intellectual, superficial understanding of the text that dominates one's spiritual beliefs as a Christian? There was another thread where one of the resident atheists was rebuked for not understanding something because they weren't a Christian. I wanted to slap that guy. It's an opinion, dummy! I'm a Christian, and I identify more with the beliefs of the atheists/agnostics on this forum that most of the Christians. You know how much restraint it takes to not troll the crap out of some of those discussions?

Look, I respect everyone's beliefs. Honestly, I do. I might not act like it all the time, and that's a flaw in my character. However, I can't keep pushing through the mud and hoping that I find any reward in it. Do you know what I found most surprising about divorcing myself from conservative Christianity? I'm not mad at everything all the time. Life is good, man. I have the freedom to not get outraged at society all the time--heck, if an organization with the word "mothers" or "family" boycotts something, chances are I can probably ignore it. Maybe it's because I'm prone to periods of depression anyway, but I'm just a happier person. I've never felt quite so liberated from the obligation to rise up about stuff. That doesn't mean I don't take stands or feel strongly--quite the opposite. But I can look at scientific papers and read them for what they are instead of seeing key phrases and disregarding them as a stick-head-in-sand kind of willful ignorance ("This paper is clearly written with the left-leaning liberal atheist bias that evolution could even be possible! FOGETTABOUDIT"). It's funny, too, because people usually hear that and assume I either ignore God's call in my life or having prayed about it.

Trust me. I've done both. ...a lot.

Anyway, this was a long and winding rant that you might not have read and probably didn't go anywhere. Let me summarize:

tl;drI need a break from the forums because scheduling, also goodness I can't disagree without excessive eyebrow-raising. Also, some toxic behaviors in forum discussions.

I'll probably pop my head in every once and again, and I might make a bigger return eventually. Until then, auf wiedersehen. Despite my irritation, I still love you all terribly and I wish you the best in whatever you do. Grace and peace.
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
storm
Gamer
Gamer
you will be missed and two things
One there are good solid Christian churches that understand not all things are black and white, I know I finally found one that understands we make mistakes.
Two as to your statement
It's kind of a toxic, one-sided choir-preaching by certain members where a differing opinion can be met with quite unwelcoming reactions. Threads that come to mind are our previous discussions about abstinence (what a debacle that was) and, more recently, abortion. Yet another thread earlier in the summer or spring involved me questioning the cherrry-picking of verses without consideration of context, and I was later literally told by someone "well, I'd show you more verses but you already demonstrated that you have no regard for Scripture."
I will not mention the threads that I am thinking of as it will only cause more trouble for me than I need at this time. It is very hard to have an opinion on God if it doesn't go along with the person posting, so many things are being said and for lack of better term preached or taught that are against my core Christian beliefs and you can't even say I think your wrong.
It is why for most part i only come in forums to see latest minecraft news and only add comments to the what movie you seen, music you listen to, welcome to forums, comments on off topic things & what book you like type posts. Other wise I must be very careful to limit my comment about things I know are wrong. That isnt what forums are about or maybe they are.
Any way I thank you for your honesty it made me feel someone else sees it too. I have made mistakes in life and have been S---slamed for it it is not a good place to be in. Took along time to realize that God is what maters not man I am glad to have found a church that has flawed leaders who are forgiven like me. I hope and pray you will find one too
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. (NKJV)
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” Greg King
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Thanks for the heads up and I completely understand. Could I make a small request? Can you share wedding pics???

May God bless your marriage and new life together and help you persevere in your studies. I totally hear you on the religion views. I have changed my stances on some things and consider myself to be more considerate to non-believers and those of different faiths and denominations. I don't agree with everyone and still consider myself to be conservative. While some topics get heated I'm glad we have a good crowd here. Thanks for chiming in when you have. :) One of my former pastors said to agree on the majors, have tolerance on the minors, and in all things love. I stand by that.

God bless and don't be a stranger :)
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
Aww, bummer to hear, but I understand.
I wish I had something more to say, but words fail me right now...

God Bless!
and as ccgr said, don't be a stranger! :)
Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

1 Corinthians 13; remember it always.
Nate DaZombie
VIP Member
VIP Member
Go live life, Soup! :D Come back if/when you want to and don't feel guilty if you would rather spend time with your (soon to be) wife than with us. Trust me, I understand how being in certain environments affects us. Just go be happy :wink:
Sstavix
CCGR addict
I tend to enjoy our discussions, though! :) But I can certainly understand life getting in the way. Have, fun, enjoy the wedding and the schooling, and don't be a stranger!