Since it came up recently...

For those times when you want to talk about something other than games. Be sure to introduce yourself.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!

Since it came up recently...

Postby ArcticFox » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:22 pm

Written by Rev. James Christie, this article appears on Broadview.

Article: It’s time Christians started including Latter-day Saints
https://broadview.org/its-time-christia ... fnHCixlH-A
The Mormons are guided by unorthodox scriptures, and they frame their understanding of Jesus and the Trinity differently than mainstream Christians. But Jesus remains at the centre of all things for them. They are just as devoted to walking in our Saviour’s footsteps as any other Christian, and they should be welcomed to walk alongside the rest of us.
I see where he's coming from, but I don't know that it'll change many opinions.

Thoughts?
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens

Sstavix
CCGR addict

Re: Since it came up recently...

Postby Sstavix » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:37 am

You probably already know my thoughts in general. ;) But I thought it was interesting that one of the deciding factors of the CCC was their interpretation of the Trinity. I'm sure the LDS church isn't unique in its interpretation that Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit are three separate entities, but united with one common goal. Are there other churches that have been denied "admission" to the CCC based on this as well?

Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer

Postby Bruce_Campbell » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:39 pm

They’ll do it when it’s politically convenient. Heck, the only reason they’re as accepting as they are of LDS these days is because of the time Mitt Romney ran against Obama. Christians will support anyone for politics.
A vegan atheist walks into a bar. Bartender says "Hey, are you a vegan atheist? Just kidding, you've mentioned it like eight times already."

Sstavix
CCGR addict

Postby Sstavix » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:32 am

I know it isn't related to the topic but... hey there, Bruce! Long time no see! How have you been?

Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer

Postby Bruce_Campbell » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:37 am

Eh, short answer is “not great but surviving”, but thanks for asking. :)
A vegan atheist walks into a bar. Bartender says "Hey, are you a vegan atheist? Just kidding, you've mentioned it like eight times already."

ArcticFox
CCGR addict

Postby ArcticFox » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:39 pm

They’ll do it when it’s politically convenient. Heck, the only reason they’re as accepting as they are of LDS these days is because of the time Mitt Romney ran against Obama. Christians will support anyone for politics.
Yeah that's prettymuch human nature. People are just tribalistic and it takes a real effort to overcome it, which only people who are self-aware will do.

The support for Romney was lukewarm from many Protestant sectors, with many preferring to stick with Huckabee as a write-in. Personally I didn't like Romney because he came across more like a slick used car salesman than a sincere guy. I don't doubt that he's a good man, but his image was all off. So I don't really blame anybody for not supporting him.

Hopefully what unity we do see will last.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens

ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ccgr » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:10 pm

Here's how I look at it, does anyone fully follow Christ's example to a tee? No, we all fall short. That's where grace comes in. There are so many faiths and variants that there are bound to be some errors somewhere. There are major differences, minor differences, and preferences. In the end, we all need God's grace and Jesus' gift of redemption to get into Heaven. How picky he is on the details is between God and the individual. I won't judge, I'll just give my 0.02 if anyone asks.

We've had friendly debates here and pretty much agreed to disagree. It's safe to say that we have doctrinal differences but I would never say that LDS are not Christian.

BlockHeadLewie
Master Gamer
Master Gamer

Postby BlockHeadLewie » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:39 pm

Allow me to chime in here. Thank you.

Let me start by saying Jesus did not actually come to point out our right ways, but to offer correction to our wrong ways. (Mainly sin, which is obviously wrong.)
I personally believe, and you may or may not agree, because of Jesus The Christ anyone who follows Him is right and our wrongs are being fixed, changed, removed and/or even made right in some instances. Our problem (yes I said 'our' as even I am a sinner) is that we all have beliefs that are right if they are in God's Word, yet we mainly focus on these 'right' things and forget we are wrong (sinners).
So am I saying that Grace gives us a certain freedom? By no means! I am saying because of Grace we are made righteous. This righteousness becomes prominent due to Sanctification, which is an ongoing process. Our wrongness is, as I said, are being fixed, changed, removed and/or even made right in some instances.
Now how does this apply to the topic of this conversation? Simple as 3.1415...er...I mean pie! We people have actually lost track of our first love, Jesus, in favor of our own understanding. Hence we have LDS, Baptist, Catholic, Methodist, and etc. (Watch this: "One body, many members.")
So yes, everyone is right (to a point) yet everyone is indeed wrong (due to "our own understanding".) At the end of Sanctification we will ALL fully understand God's Will fully, God's Word Better and God's Way stronger.
Glory!
If God is my Pilot and fully in control of the flight, I guess that makes me a Steward on the plane. How may I serve you?

Return to “General Discussion”