Introvert Rage

For those times when you want to talk about something other than games. Be sure to introduce yourself.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!

Introvert Rage

Postby ArcticFox » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:39 pm

(The following rant is not directed at ANYBODY on this forum. It's a rant from me to a few people in my real life.)

The most irritating thing about the moment you "come out" as an introvert is that suddenly everybody around you wants to get right on the bandwagon.

It seems like that would be a cause for celebration, doesn't it? More people who know you at last understanding where you're coming from? It isn't though, and here's why... It's fake.

Look, there's a reason why an introvert like myself has spent so long believing that they were broken, different from others in a way that sometimes caused tension, misunderstandings and discomfort. We feel broken for a REASON, and that reason is that we live in a culture that doesn't really understand introversion. We live in a culture that rewards extroverted behavior. Most people think an introvert is just somebody who doesn't like crowds, or is shy, or is a homebody. It's so much more than that, and it's so different. Introverts aren't necessarily shy or hate crowds.

Ever since I came to the realization of why I feel the way I do, and understood what introversion is, and how it's both a blessing and a curse, I've felt happier, more confident, and better able to anticipate and react to what's happening around me. I'm so glad I gained this understanding and I'll never be the same again, in a good way.

So I shared this information with friends and family.

And then something really irritating happened. Just about every person I talked to popped back with "Me too! I'm totally an introvert too!"

No you aren't. You most certainly are not. You get out of here with that noise.

Remember, the "me toos" are often the very same people who are the reason I felt broken in the first place. Their reactions to me, their expectations of me, all of it... and now suddenly they want to jump on the bandwagon and be part of the tribe. "Oh I'm an introvert too 'cause I really like to spend time alone sometimes!" "Oh dude I totally get you. I'm introverted because I don't like parties." "I'm really shy around new people, I'm an introvert!"

Ugh.

SHUT UP.

The very same people who lectured me about not showing up for events, the very same people who lectured me about not getting out more, the very same people who pushed and prodded me to play more games, the very same people who guilt tripped me for not spending more time at their place during visits now want to act like they totally get it and feel the same way.

Oh no you don't You can just take that and cram it right where the sun don't shine. It may very well be that you have a slight leaning toward the introverted end of the scale. Certainly that's possible... But don't come at me and try to tell me you can relate to me because you can't. If you could, we'd have already bonded over the similarity.

A real introvert knows what an Introvert Hangover is. Have you ever experienced one? Have you ever been in a group of people, even people that you care about and love, but feel so anxious and desperate to be away from them that you start to feel lightheaded and shaky? Let me share with you a little story and if you haven't experienced this for yourself at some point, don't ever tell me you're an introvert too because if you try it I will name you liar.

One Friday night a couple of years ago, my Dungeons & Dragons group, 8 people at the time, plus myself as DM, had just finished a session. It wasn't real late, as I'd decided to call it a night for the adventure relatively early because my social batteries had run low. At this point, everybody started to pack up their books, their dice, their miniatures, etc. As I stood up to show everyone to the door, I began to anticipate the alone time that was imminent. I needed to recharge, badly, but at least at this point I had enough in my reserves to be a gracious host while everybody headed out to their cars.

Then, something bad happened. People started chatting with each other. I'm not just talking about one group of people, I mean they were pairing off and chatting. The topics were about movies, politics, the next D&D session... I don't know, I wasn't participating in any of them. Instead, I was watching with envy as the other bigtime introvert in the group said his goodbyes and went out the door, probably starting his recharging cycle already... The lucky &[email protected]%#(.

Five minutes went by.

Ten minutes.

Fifteen.

Some people were starting to put down their backpacks because they were tired of holding them as they chatted. I felt my blood pressure rising with my anxiety. By this point I was out of energy, mentally. I felt profoundly tired both mentally and physically. My mind started to feel numb and I was suddenly desperately sleepy.

The conversations continued.

I wanted to ask them to leave but I felt like I'd be a bad host if I did that. I felt guilty for even wanting that in the first place. These were my friends, people I loved and enjoyed spending time with. Why did I want them out so badly? (I didn't yet understand the whole introvert thing yet.)

Eventually, people began to trickle out. One couple left, then another individual. Every five or ten minutes the crowd would shrink just a bit.
By the forty-five minute mark I was literally shaking. I was living in a small apartment and there was noplace for me to go. Besides, just the thought of hiding from everybody made me feel guilty anyway.

The worst thing is that at least one person was waiting for the others to leave so he could just stay and visit with me a while. That meant that whatever he wanted to talk about wasn't even going to come up until everybody else had left.

This finally happened at the one hour mark.

By that point I was as exhausted as I ever remember having been in my entire life. I could have fallen asleep right then and there if I sat in a comfortable enough sofa or chair. I couldn't think, I could barely focus, and now my last visitor was ready to begin talking. He was my son, so there's no way I could ask him to just leave. I felt that if he needed to talk about something serious, it was my duty to listen to him.
But no, he just wanted to chat about nothing in particular. Just wanted to talk to me alone because he didn't want to have others constantly interrupting. I displayed all the "I'm desperately tired" body language I could muster. I slumped in my chair, I let my eyelids droop, I gave short, one word answers to questions. I couldn't make myself come out and tell him I needed him to head on home, and yet at that moment it's all I wanted in the world.

And I felt horrible. What kind of crap parent must I be to want my oldest child to depart from my presence? Shouldn't I be overjoyed for every second he wanted to spend with me? Someday I'd surely miss this and wish I'd appreciated it more, right?

But that's the thing. When your social batteries are exhausted it doesn't matter who it is. You can't think, you can barely speak, your mental energy is so depleted it actually feels like you'll faint. I'm not exaggerating here. I literally thought I was iniminent danger of passing out. Meanwhile my son just chatted away, completely oblivious. He's a highly intelligent young man, but social cues and body language may as well be Chinese to him.

An hour after THAT, he left because he had another D&D game with his other college friends at midnight.

So he finally left, and I was able to recover. Half an hour later, I was right as rain.

THAT is what it is to experience an introvert hangover, and if you haven't had this experience don't you dare come at me and tell me you totally get where I'm coming from and feel the same way, you poser. I've had to tread water in deep guilt and self recrimination because I didn't understand why I needed to be alone so badly my blood pressure was dipping dangerously low. I've felt like a rotten friend, a terrible father and a very poor host.
The thing is, guilt like that doesn't always come from the inside. Do you know how many times I've gotten lectures from friends about how I don't get out and socialize enough, or how I don't show up enough to events, or how I need to plan more time so I can stay longer at gatherings? Do you know how many times I've been pressured into events and activities when all I wanted in the world was to stay in my space at home and be left alone?

A lot.

But the real biter in all this is that some of the very same people who furnished all those oh so helpful lectures and who guilted me for not lingering longer at parties or who gave me grief for not planning better so I could engage in an activity longer then had the utter gall to react to my epiphany about being an introvert by saying "oh yeah man, me too. I totally have that same thing."

Very few times in my life have I had such a wild and intense desire to punch somebody in the face.

No guys. You can't get on this bandwagon. You made it an exclusive thing and I'm not letting you have this.

/rant
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens

J.K. Riki
Gamer
Gamer

Re: Introvert Rage

Postby J.K. Riki » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:13 am

Sounds like you've been given a unique opportunity at something that most people don't get. It also sounds very hard, so prayers for strength and patience each time you encounter it. I used to have introverted tendencies (and I definitely suffer from anxiety of other sorts, which thankfully came under better control after many years of psychology appointments and training) but I certainly can't say "me too" in that one. Perhaps the folks saying me too want to have that connection? But yeah, it's hard to understand in full because I imagine most people have felt BITS of what you're talking about, but not to the extreme.

I was having a conversation online with someone recently about that kind of thing. There's like this Intellectual Understanding, where you do "understand" to a certain degree someone else, but then there's this Other Understanding that only comes when there's a definite shared experience. Like how you could read about love and get what it is, but never KNOW what it is until you experienced it fully. Anyway, now I'm rambling so I'll be quiet. :P

Peace.

ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ccgr » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:38 am

I don't mind alone time and definitively need to recharge after social outings. I prefer a little of both instead for balance. But I usually don't speak unless spoken to in places I'm not familiar with. I don't think that qualifies as a #metoo but I don't think you're abnormal in any way :)

ArcticFox
CCGR addict

Postby ArcticFox » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:31 am

Sounds like you've been given a unique opportunity at something that most people don't get. It also sounds very hard, so prayers for strength and patience each time you encounter it. I used to have introverted tendencies (and I definitely suffer from anxiety of other sorts, which thankfully came under better control after many years of psychology appointments and training) but I certainly can't say "me too" in that one. Perhaps the folks saying me too want to have that connection? But yeah, it's hard to understand in full because I imagine most people have felt BITS of what you're talking about, but not to the extreme.

I was having a conversation online with someone recently about that kind of thing. There's like this Intellectual Understanding, where you do "understand" to a certain degree someone else, but then there's this Other Understanding that only comes when there's a definite shared experience. Like how you could read about love and get what it is, but never KNOW what it is until you experienced it fully. Anyway, now I'm rambling so I'll be quiet. :P

Peace.
I think you're right about the bits, which I think is a part of why most people (ArcticFox from a year ago included) don't really know what introversion is but think they do. To be fair, it is something that we, culturally, are only just beginning to understand as a whole.

And agreed about the levels of understanding. I think that's another distinction people may be missing on this one.
I don't mind alone time and definitively need to recharge after social outings. I prefer a little of both instead for balance. But I usually don't speak unless spoken to in places I'm not familiar with. I don't think that qualifies as a #metoo but I don't think you're abnormal in any way :)
Thanks! Up until recently though, I thought I WAS abnormal, which is why I'm so passionate about the subject now. I want for other people who are genuine introverts to realize it too, and all the #metoos are cluttering the landscape.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens

Sstavix
CCGR addict

Postby Sstavix » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:17 am

Thanks! Up until recently though, I thought I WAS abnormal, which is why I'm so passionate about the subject now. I want for other people who are genuine introverts to realize it too, and all the #metoos are cluttering the landscape.
:lol: When someone claims they're an introvert because they think it's trendy, they really don't get it.

Not trying to jump on your bandwagon (if you're an introvert, you don't want anyone on your bandwagon - I don't want anyone on mine, either), but I do understand your dilemma. While I've never experienced pain like you have in your story, I have been extremely annoyed at the presence of my friends (and a few times, even my kids) and once even cancelled a D&D session an hour before it started just because I wanted to be alone. (Yes, I was the DM...).

I do seem more outspoken on the forums, but that's because I have the comfort of a backspace key. Rest assured that you're not alone, and that other introverts understand what you're going through... and are more than happy to leave you alone. If you do need help or reassurance, other introverts will be willing to help... on your terms,though. They are more than willing to leave you alone until you come to them... because that's exactly how they would like to be treated themselves. One thing that many extroverts don't understand is that if someone says they are an introvert, it is not a cry for help, it an admittance of acceptance. As hard as it is to imagine for extroverts, we don't want to be part of a big network of friends. We don't want to be part of the popular crowd - or any crowd, really. We just want to be left alone, and accept people into our lives on our terms, not theirs.

ArcticFox
CCGR addict

Postby ArcticFox » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:09 am

:lol: When someone claims they're an introvert because they think it's trendy, they really don't get it.

Not trying to jump on your bandwagon (if you're an introvert, you don't want anyone on your bandwagon - I don't want anyone on mine, either), but I do understand your dilemma. While I've never experienced pain like you have in your story, I have been extremely annoyed at the presence of my friends (and a few times, even my kids) and once even cancelled a D&D session an hour before it started just because I wanted to be alone. (Yes, I was the DM...).

I do seem more outspoken on the forums, but that's because I have the comfort of a backspace key. Rest assured that you're not alone, and that other introverts understand what you're going through... and are more than happy to leave you alone. If you do need help or reassurance, other introverts will be willing to help... on your terms,though. They are more than willing to leave you alone until you come to them... because that's exactly how they would like to be treated themselves. One thing that many extroverts don't understand is that if someone says they are an introvert, it is not a cry for help, it an admittance of acceptance. As hard as it is to imagine for extroverts, we don't want to be part of a big network of friends. We don't want to be part of the popular crowd - or any crowd, really. We just want to be left alone, and accept people into our lives on our terms, not theirs.
See, I can tell you get it, and I appreciate your post. This is perfect.

There's plenty of room for you on the bandwagon, Brozilla.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens

Sstavix
CCGR addict

Postby Sstavix » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:46 am

There's plenty of room for you on the bandwagon, Brozilla.
I don't know... looks a little crowded up there.... I think I'm OK on my own wagon. Thanks, though! :wink:

ArcticFox
CCGR addict

Postby ArcticFox » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:10 pm

I don't know... looks a little crowded up there.... I think I'm OK on my own wagon. Thanks, though! :wink:
Haha well said!
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens

Return to “General Discussion”