Bad News!

For those times when you want to talk about something other than games. Be sure to introduce yourself.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!

Bad News!

Postby Sstavix » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:21 pm

Yesterday, my wife spilled her soup and a bunch of it closed into the fan vents of my MacBook Pro. We are trying to fix it, but the prospects don't look good. 😟

So I will be out of a computer for the foreseeable future. I am actually writing this from my Kindle, which is a real pain.... If the MBP is dead, then it will take me a few weeks to get the funds together for a cheap laptop. Until then, no game playing or reviewing from me. And since I hate typing on this thing, I may not be posting much, either.

Good luck, everyone, and see you around!
"All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery, and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible." -- Noah Webster

My blog: Writing from Idaho

evered
Master Gamer
Master Gamer

Re: Bad News!

Postby evered » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:34 pm

Awwwww, that stinks. Thanks for telling us. cya around!

Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.

Postby Chozon1 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:22 am

Sorry amigo. I know how much that burns. :\ I've actually spilt things into my computer far more than I logic allows. -_-

ArcticFox
CCGR addict

Postby ArcticFox » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:40 pm

Suuuuuuuuuuck.

A couple years ago I spilled a can pf Pepsi onto the keyboard of my HP laptop. Fortunately I was able to get a replacement keyboard to repair it, but I'd be lying if I said I'd never killed a laptop with a soda can before.

Hope to see you back soon, Brozilla.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens

Comotto
Gamer
Gamer

Postby Comotto » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:36 pm

Sstavix
CCGR addict

Postby Sstavix » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:27 pm

Thanks for the kind words, friends. :) When I manage to get onto a friend's computer - like now - I'll try to provide updates and keep up with current events. Until then, though, I suppose I'll just have to stick with gaming on the Kindle. Fortunately, I have a nice selection of Android games in my Humble library that will work. Just downloaded Knights of Pen and Paper II and have been enjoying that so far....

My e-mail - which tends to be the main way to get in touch with me - also will be sporadic. However, I do have Facebook Messenger, so if you're one of my FB buddies, you can try to reach me there. I wonder if it's possible to get IMs through Steam or Discord that way, too...? I may have to look into that.
I'm ... not sure how a Star Trek relaunch pertains to my situation. Thank you, though!
"All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery, and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible." -- Noah Webster

Comotto
Gamer
Gamer

Postby Comotto » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:44 am

Thanks for the kind words, friends. :) When I manage to get onto a friend's computer - like now - I'll try to provide updates and keep up with current events. Until then, though, I suppose I'll just have to stick with gaming on the Kindle. Fortunately, I have a nice selection of Android games in my Humble library that will work. Just downloaded Knights of Pen and Paper II and have been enjoying that so far....

My e-mail - which tends to be the main way to get in touch with me - also will be sporadic. However, I do have Facebook Messenger, so if you're one of my FB buddies, you can try to reach me there. I wonder if it's possible to get IMs through Steam or Discord that way, too...? I may have to look into that.
I'm ... not sure how a Star Trek relaunch pertains to my situation. Thank you, though!
Oops.

CARZ

Sstavix
CCGR addict

Postby Sstavix » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:35 am

Well, we may have a solution. My sister in law said I could have her hp Pavilion laptop! It is a few years old and runs Windows 8 (ugh), but it has a RADEON graphics card and 8 gigs of RAM at least. So I think this should work until tax time, when I hope to be able to build a gaming (desktop) rig.

So now I have to contribute to the Evil Empire and use a Micro$oft system. Ah well.

This weekend, I plan on transferring all the files my SIL wants to keep and putting them on her new Mac Mini. Then I will work on converting the laptop into my name and reinstalling things like Steam and OpenOffice. Then we can see what this puppy can really do! :)

ArcticFox
CCGR addict

Postby ArcticFox » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:27 pm

Huzzah! HP Pavilions are good machines. I'm typing on one right now :) A Pavilion g7 running Linux Mint, if you're curious.

(Obviously not the rig I play games on, except Minecraft)
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens

mikahhamilton
Noob
Noob

Postby mikahhamilton » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:17 am

Yea, my sister did that with milk, the milk was spilt on the table but it got into the base of the computer and well now it doesn't work. Hope you fix yours.

ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ccgr » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:59 pm

I just saw this thread now, must have been too distracted on Jay's birthday to see it when it first posted. My kids spilled Bubbles on one of my laptops and I was able to get it working again except for the touchpad. Glad you have another machine coming your way though! Welcome back!

Sstavix
CCGR addict

Postby Sstavix » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:44 pm

Thank you!

On the plus side, this means that I can review Windows games, too!

On the down side... this means I have to deal with a Windows machine. :lol: Also, my Septerra Core review is missing in action (I was almost done with it, too - just needed to finish the game while jotting down all the moral issues), so I will have to start that over from the beginning.

Finally, if I get around to installing Morrowind on this computer, or try one of the newer Elder Scrolls games and find it just as addictive... well, you might not see me much any more! :lol:

I am almost to the point where I've written 100 reviews for this site, and I've played at least two games on my Kindle that we haven't covered yet. I'd better install OpenOffice and get writing!

ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ccgr » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:13 pm

Did you lose your save file? Were you able to recover anything from the Mac's hard drive???

Sstavix
CCGR addict

Postby Sstavix » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:10 am

Did you lose your save file? Were you able to recover anything from the Mac's hard drive???
I should still have the save file, thanks to the Steam cloud saving ability (hooray! I won't have to start from the beginning!) As for the Mac hard drive, I haven't pulled it yet. But I will have to try to connect it to another Mac to get the data from it. Last night I tried my external USB drive to get data off of it, but this laptop wouldn't read anything... because the external USB was formatted for Macs. :? Even though I know there are OS-neutral files on it (like PDFs, JPEGs and, of course, anything I typed up in OpenOffice). I can go over to my sister-in-law's place and use her Mac Mini to pull off the files I need, put them on a different USB drive, and then transfer those to this laptop, though. Or possibly my wife's Mac Pro. Hers is lder, but might be able to handle it. I'll have to experiment....

But I'm not sure about the review I typed up. I'll have to see what I can do there. Or just write it again - I still have the basic outline in my head, after all, and can still remember the good and bad points of the game.

ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ccgr » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:52 am

I winder if a bootable Linux distro could read the drive, never tried to recover data from a Mac

Return to “General Discussion”