I'm writing a book

Let your creative side be seen by others. Share your writings, visual arts, created music, and anything else here. Also the place for forum-based role playing.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
kittycathead
Gamer
Gamer
Are you human?: Not likely
Yes, you read that right. I'm trying to write a book.

It's based on a town and characters my best friend and I made, and of course I'm going to give her credit.

I showed what I have in the story to my friends, including the one I made up the story with, and they all like it.

It's going to be called 'The Story of Majesta.'

Any thoughts?

EDIT: The basic summary: Kaitlyn is a girl who lives in the mysterious town of Majesta. She's been bullied in school ever since her parents died when she was eleven. One day she walks down the hallway and sees something she's always questioned the existence of - magic. As she delves deep to learn the truth, she uncovers secrets about her friends, her town, and even herself - that she never could have imagined.
Last edited by kittycathead on Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
evered
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
A book?? Writing, is that what I hear?? WRITING??

Okay sorry, so first off, I’m a super duper writing nerd, write a story everyday almost...Anywho, What’s the story about! Each story and or book needs a beginning middle and end. (Oh gosh I sound like a teacher...) So for example, a girl could (beginning) meet a horse (middle, aka problem) the horse gets stolen. And (end) the horse gets saved. Also, make sure you don’t say “and” too much, makes the writing all chunky. And last but not least, each character has a personality.

Holy cow I just lectured you...

please dun be mad I’m a friggin riding geek
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
One suggestion I have is to write a bit every day. Set a goal for yourself - either a word goal (500 words) or a time goal (half an hour) and try to hit it. To complete NaNoWriMo, a writer needs to average 1,667 words per day.

And if you get stuck, throw in so e random, oddball occurrence and decide how your characters will react in that situation. One of my favorites is "and then ninjas attacked!" If you don't like how that turns out, then you can clean it up or if it entirely when you edit it.

Oh! Editing! DON'T DO IT! It will be a strong temptation to go back and edit what you've written before. Resist that temptation! Keep plowing forward until you get to "The End." Once your first draft is complete, then you can start the editing process. If you start editing before you finish the first draft, you may never finish the first draft! So resist the temptation to do major editing or rewrites.

Those are the biggest tips I have. Let us know how it goes!
J.K. Riki
Enjoy! I've written a few books now (one published at the moment) and it is a difficult but rewarding experience. There will be times you want to quit, but keep going. Also steel yourself for editing after you've finished your first draft. First drafts are meant to get the words down, not be great, so don't be discouraged if you start reading once you're finished and find it's a mess. All books begin as a mess, and then you refine them over and over until they shine.

Good luck!
kittycathead
Gamer
Gamer
Are you human?: Not likely
Thanks for all the awesome tips guys!

I'll be sure to keep these in mind!

(Oh, and Sstavix, I DO have a ninja character! :P)
crizpy
Noob
Noob
Good Luck
make sure to persevere when you lose inspiration
:wink: