THE BIG PROJECT: Space Marine Armor

Let your creative side be seen by others. Share your writings, visual arts, created music, and anything else here. Also the place for forum-based role playing.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
Got lots done today too.

I trimmed away some of the material from the cuirass to give my arms greater mobility.

Test fit... Alexander seems to approve.

The problem I'm experiencing with the legs is that the PCV brace that goes up the back of each leg is vertical, but my stance is wide so my calf muscles lay against them and it's pretty uncomfortable. Going to have to do some brainstorming to decide how to deal with that.

I added a hinge to the arms made from simple lengths of webbing. I normally don't like using the foam as structure, but the arms won't be carrying any weight so this should work okay.

Then added the elbow guard.

I just glued it to the upper arm plate.

I also added a vent to the right forearm, to match some of my Space Marine minis.

And added plastic canvas to the inside.

Here are the completed arms.

I also added some padding in the helmet to make it fit better.

"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
looking good! No suggestions for the legs, sorry.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
That looks so amazing. O_o Seriously, it's coming along fantastic. ^_^
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Thanks!

From the test fit pictured there I learned that I need to lower the belt piece by about an inch or two, to make it closer to the thigh plates as well as give more clearance above it for the cuirass. The way I have it adjusted now, they touch and aren't supposed to. I also found that it hurts my calf muscles to stand because of the way my stilts have that brace going up the back... my wider stance with the boots on means my legs are hitting them at an angle. Luckily my friend had some of the same problems so I'm gonna see what he did.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
At last, the backpack is underway.

The early frame:

The frame with the upper section:

All that was 100% foam. No internal structure as yet, since I haven't decided what it'll need and I want to keep the weight down.

Next, I set up the exhaust grating on the two exhaust vents on the upper portion of the backpack. This is where I'm locating the cooling fans. Here's one fan sitting on top of the exhaust grate piece.

How it will sit inside the spherical exhaust:

And the grate as viewed from below:

I need to get some nuts and bolts to fasten the fans to the grates. I'm also looking at a 12V portable battery to ride inside the backpack to power the fans.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Last night I did the lower vents on the backpack. They look a bit oversized, but I'll wait until I have it assembled the rest of the way and if they still look big, I'll trim them down a little. Once that's decided, I'll probably add some plastic canvas grate to them.

—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
lookin good!
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Thankya!

So last night I completed the foam assembly for the backpack.

I also built it to have an access door so I can install the electrical stuff and possibly carry items like emergency repair supplies.

—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
I'm running out of words to describe how great this is. XD

The backpack is turning out great. ^_^ Especially the curves, since I imagine those were tricky to manage with the foam.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
nice work!
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Thanks guys.

I'm dreading the caulking of the backpack. Probably gonna have to do that in sections.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Removed the snaps from the straps holding my feet onto the stilts and replaced them with parachute clips. Much more secure.

—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
secure is good :)
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Indeed. When the other parachute clips that I ordered arrive, I'm gonna replace the snaps that hold the shin plates to the boots as well. A couple of those let go when I was test walking in the suit.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Lots done the last couple of days. Did the caulking for the backpack, and spray painted all the parts I have so far black. I also picked up a pair of used lacrosse gloves for gauntlets.

I added a crown of laurels to the helmet:

And did clips to attach the upper arms to the cuirass in a joint that gives me full mobility for my arms.

Tomorrow my buddy is coming over and we're gonna spend the day finishing the armor to the point where I can wear it to AwesomeCon in Washington DC on Sunday. Fingers crossed.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens