THE BIG PROJECT: Space Marine Armor

Let your creative side be seen by others. Share your writings, visual arts, created music, and anything else here. Also the place for forum-based role playing.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
Quick update... I got a template for the sole of the foot, and placed a stilt on top of it to check the fit.

I'm going to make the sole of the foot out of plywood and attach the stilt to it.

Next, I added a little decorative detail to the helmet...

This cements the helmet as a Black Templar helmet!

Then I went over the helmet with a heat gun to seal up the foam surface for the next step.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Nice. @_@ That is just too awesome.

Are you going for scale with the arms/ hands, or usability?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
It's sort of a compromise. As it is, a lot of these suits tend to come out with the arms looking a bit too short, but I think a lot of that is because people are making the shoulder pauldrons a little too big. I'm going to scale mine down some and that should help with the look. I'm also looking at one guy in particular who has an absolutely AMAZING Blood Angels suit (with a power fist!) and I'm going to take some cues from his process. He's got it documented and I'm devouring everything he wrote.

Check this out:

"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
impressive!
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
I don't think my suit will turn out nearly as well at first, but since the build is modular, I can do upgrades later. That also gives me options. Right now I'm going for the Emperor's Champion, but I could later modify it to be an Assault Marine or whatever else I want.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
That is just waaaay too awesome. There should almost be laws against it. XD

The functional power fist is incredibly impressive. Most suits I see like this use "puppet hands" which fit the suit but don't move.

Still, I like the champion helmet better. ^_^
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
So do I.

A big help in this project has been my son... He graduates soon as a structural engineer and he's been helping me make sure my stilts are properly designed and will be strong enough. 8) Now I feel confident that I can complete my stilts and trust them.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Built a paper mockup of one of the "shoes" to test the fit of the stilt in it.

My kids wanted to try on my two helmets. I call this picture "Bobbleheads."

The white stuff on the helmet on the left is caulk from sealing the joints.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you going to let them help you paint it? My kids want to help in my future nativity scene painting project (I have the stuff!). Debating on how to share this with them.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Maybe. The final coat of paint will be latex house paint applied with a sprayer, but I may be able to give them some little tasks. Right now they're just happy playing with the pieces as I assemble them.

So I put a coat of plasti-dip on the helmet. I'm not at all happy with the way that turned out, so I'm going to keep working the surface.

Assembled the stilts and tried them out... Believe it or not, they hold me up okay. I haven't glued the PVC together yet because I may need to make adjustments before I finalize them, but I went ahead and built the soles and foot plates, and attached them.

This is a stilt sitting on top of the sole of one of the feet. The hinge is to allow the toe pieces to flex when I walk.

This is both stilts, showing the top and bottom.

Here's a closeup of the attachments of the foot plates to the frame.

Here are the assembled toe pieces.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
I've heard of people using bondo putty to make the pieces smooth and round. But I don't know if that'll work for your idea's or budget.

For myself, I think it looks great still. And the design for the boots is brilliant. I've not seen a flexible foot before.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Yeah I've also seen people use spackle. I think the problem is that it is heavy-ish and not very flexible. Caulk can flex with the foam, so there won't be cracks and splits. The edges on the toes there I will grind down with a sander or a Dremel BEFORE I caulk it. I did the opposite with the helmet and it looks awful. That's gonna take a lot of work to fix.

The flexible toes idea I saw in a cosplay forum somewhere and committed the design to memory. I haven't followed it exactly but I'll be using a similar idea.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Works. What type of foam are you using?

Also, I'd never heard of plasti-dip. This material has many applications that interest me, but it seems perfect for this. @_o
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
I'm using EVA foam, sold for putting down floor mats for comfort when people have to stand all day on the job. I get it pretty cheap from Harbor Freight.

I'm not entirely sold on the Plasti-Dip yet, but this is also literally the first time I've ever used it. I'm going to see how well I can peel it off, and if I can't do that then I'm just going to have to sand that helmet like crazy to get it smooth again.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
After putting the kids to bed, back to work on the power armor!

I finished the assembly of the foam for the feet. Now I just have to complete all the mechanical stuff inside, like the hinge joint, spring, and make final adjustments to the PVC stilts.

I decided to stand on the stilts to test them and prove my son's structural engineering is on par.

No broken ankles yet!
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens