Short Stories.

Talk about your favorite books, movies, music, TV shows, and other non-gaming forms of entertainment here.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
RedPlums
VIP Member
VIP Member
Are you human?: Yes!
If you all are willing I'd love to start a little short stories topic where newer writers, (like myself) can write stories about whatever they'd like. I hope it turns out great! :D
This is my signature
warriorsage
Noob
Noob
I think that this is a great idea. What length of tales are you looking for? I'm thinking that 600-800 words is a readable length for posting on this site, though you can't get too much action into that frame.
RedPlums
VIP Member
VIP Member
That actually sounds great Warrior! Let's put a word cap at 700?
This is my signature
TripExistence
donkey
Are you human?: Not likely
I would say that's more like flash fiction than an actual short story... but the idea is intriguing.
Pheonix
Forum Moderator
TripExistence wrote:I would say that's more like flash fiction than an actual short story... but the idea is intriguing.
Well, the name is cooler at least.
OI! I have a Tumblr. You could follow it if you want,

New member? Want to get those first 15 posts? This should help.
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Short stories - especially "short short" stories - can be a fun and exciting challenge. See what you can do in 100 words or less!

During one of my writing classes I remembered hearing about an interview with Ernest Hemingway. He said that you didn't need to have a lot of words to make a really good story. He then demonstrated by telling one of the shortest stories I have ever heard. I will print it here, in its entirety.
Ernest Hemingway wrote:For Sale: Baby Shoes. Never used.
Just six words long, but with tremendous emotional impact - especially for anyone who has been a parent (or has lost a child). It works amazingly well. Sometimes it's more effective what is not said than what is said.

Another example I read recently won an award for short horror. I don't remember the author, but consider this one:
The last man in the world sits in a room. There is a knock at the door.
So yeah, short stories can be fun - both to write and to read!
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Short stories are a particularly interesting form of literature, and one that Americans have really took as their own. I, personally, am a huge sucker for sci-fi short stories, constantly buying anthologies of them. Several of them has had a very strong impact in how I view the world.

What's particularly great about a really good short story is how important each word is in it. An author cannot waste any space and has chosen each word, each name, etc., specifically for a purpose and specifically that word and not another. You can get a good story very quickly on a read through, but you can get an amazingly deep story by picking apart the story. It's a great way to really start delving into the more involved facets of literature, and certainly gives you a palatable enough portion to not overwhelm you.
It also provides a way to address some pretty intense concepts without having to build up a full novel structure around it.

Otherwise, some of them are just great fast and fun romps.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
ohnolookout
VIP Member
VIP Member
ArchAngel wrote:Short stories are a particularly interesting form of literature, and one that Americans have really took as their own. I, personally, am a huge sucker for sci-fi short stories, constantly buying anthologies of them. Several of them has had a very strong impact in how I view the world.

What's particularly great about a really good short story is how important each word is in it. An author cannot waste any space and has chosen each word, each name, etc., specifically for a purpose and specifically that word and not another. You can get a good story very quickly on a read through, but you can get an amazingly deep story by picking apart the story. It's a great way to really start delving into the more involved facets of literature, and certainly gives you a palatable enough portion to not overwhelm you.
It also provides a way to address some pretty intense concepts without having to build up a full novel structure around it.

Otherwise, some of them are just great fast and fun romps.
I'm sure you've probably read it already, but Sandkings by George R.R. Martin is one of my favorites. Not technically a short story, as it's a novelette, but I don't really see much of a difference.
Si ergo Filius vos liberaverit vere liberi eritis
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
I have not, but thanks for the recommendation. I'll be sure to check it out!
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim