Death Soliloquy

Talk about your favorite books, movies, music, TV shows, and other non-gaming forms of entertainment here.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
This is a bit of a macabre subject, but I find that the final words of a significant character can be powerful moments in literature and cinema, that tie in the running themes to a single moment.

My favorite of these would the Tears in the Rain soliloquy from Blade Runner.

For those who watched Blade Runner, you'll get the full potency of the whole thing (and if you haven't, I recommend that you do) and what it means about death, life, and being human. The more I listen to it, or ruminate on it, the more I find of what's being said. I can say it changed the way I looked at it all.

So, what about you guys? What were some of your favorite ones from both movies, tv, literature, or history?
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
epsons
VIP Member
VIP Member
That's one of the greatest monologues. That line "all those moments will be lost in time" really stuck with me for some reason... So I naturally had to sample it in a track. :P

Thanks for reminding me how amazing that movie is.
"I tried sniffing coke once, but the ice cubes got stuck in my nose."
CountKrazy
VIP Member
VIP Member
Are you human?: Yes!
The "tears in the rain" monologue is tough to beat. It's made all the more remarkable considering the fact that some of it was improvised. Sweet, sweet Rutger.

I looked everywhere for it on Youtube, but the most recent death soliloquy that affected me on a monumental level was David Tennant's monologue in his last episode of Doctor Who. The actual regeneration scene was the frosting on the cake, but the death scene... oh yes. After going through two seasons of the show with Tennant and growing so attached to his version of the Doctor, that monologue is devastating.

Honestly, the most poignant death scenes I can think of are mostly silent. I seem to be far more affected by the wordless approach to death than one with a soliloquy, though I think the latter can be just as significant.

I don't know if it counts, but the assassination scene in The Assassination of Jesse James is one of the most gorgeous death scenes around:

The last scene of In Bruges is a great one, but it's not on Youtube, either. There's The Fountain, but that's pretty much wordless, too. A great death monologue is a rare thing, I guess. I never really thought about it before.