Forum Addition: Anime?

Talk about your favorite books, movies, music, TV shows, and other non-gaming forms of entertainment here.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts

Should we setup an Anime subforum?

Yes
54%
No
46%

Total votes: 13
selderane
Gamer
Gamer
Are you human?: Yes!
Would it be possible to get a forum dedicated to anime? I don't think it would fit precisely under the existing "Arts and Entertainment" forums.

Basically I just want to talk about how awesome Neon Genesis Evangelion is and how fan service is messing up anime; which is ironic as Gainax kinda got the ball rolling on that.
Everything above this sentence is opinion and worth precisely what was paid for it.
Everything below this sentence is indisputable fact as verified by scientists, philosophers, scholars, clergy, and David Bowie.

If Star Wars: Destiny is a CCG, X-Wing is an LCG.
Blue
VIP Member
VIP Member
I agree with this. The anime thread is close to becoming a pretty busy thread, and there is a lot of anime to discuss.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
I disagree. If you want to discuss an anime show, make a thread for it in TV. If you want to discuss an anime movie, make a thread for it in Movies.

Branching out forums for different genres of games makes sense because this is a Gamer site. For other mediums, they should stick in their appropriate thread. If we make an anime thread, what about Cop and Lawyer dramas? Cartoons? Sci Fi? No, this is needless complexity for a gaming forum.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
selderane
Gamer
Gamer
ArchAngel wrote:I disagree. If you want to discuss an anime show, make a thread for it in TV. If you want to discuss an anime movie, make a thread for it in Movies.

Branching out forums for different genres of games makes sense because this is a Gamer site. For other mediums, they should stick in their appropriate thread. If we make an anime thread, what about Cop and Lawyer dramas? Cartoons? Sci Fi? No, this is needless complexity for a gaming forum.
Anime and video games are very intertwined and if you're dedicating a section of the forum to other kinds of media, it's different enough to warrant its own place within that subsection.

Were we living in Japan, where anime is much more mainstream, I would cede your point. But never in a bazillion years would I think to look for, for example, Total Eclipse in the "TV" section of a Western gaming forum.
Everything above this sentence is opinion and worth precisely what was paid for it.
Everything below this sentence is indisputable fact as verified by scientists, philosophers, scholars, clergy, and David Bowie.

ArchAngel
CCGR addict
I'm failing to see your point. If you're heavily into anime, I can see why you'd think it's "special," but it's not so much. It's a stylism from a particular country.
Why do you think this style deserves it's own forum above all other styles?
The forums in Arts and Entertainment that we have are perfectly suited for it, because they are based on mediums, not styles or genres.
An example of a good idea for a new forum would be Comics/Graphic Novels (and yes, it will include Manga), or, shoot, even Paintings and Sculptures, if there is a demand for it.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
we have this: http://www.christcenteredgamer.com/phpB ... 60&t=11076

too cluttered though?

I think Arch is the only guy here who doesn't like anime ;)
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Haha, I do generally find anime distasteful, with a few exceptions. I've been tempted to post on the Anime thread just to say that it sucks.

But my disagreement comes from an organizational perspective. If it were just because I didn't like it, having it shoved off to a single forum be nice for me, but it's organizationally incohesive and just needless clutter. I'd argue the same thing if the request was for a 3D animation forum, or sci-fi and fantasy (which I love very deeply).
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

selderane
Gamer
Gamer
If you do not see how interconnected video games and anime is, then there's an entire subset of gaming you simply do not understand.

Lets say I want to talk about the new Macross: Frontier game. Okay, well, that's naturally going to lead into the OVA it's based upon. Well, that's "TV." What about the film? Well, that's "Movies." Obviously, if you're going to talk about Macross: Frontier, other Macross or Robotech stuff is gonna come up.

So, you're saying it makes more organizational sense to have the conversation splinter across those forums, or relegated to one massive thread, rather than giving a large genre inexorably tied to all of Japanese gaming it's own forum?

I don't know how I can't conclude that your palpable distaste for the medium is coloring your judgement, no matter how you choose to rationalize it.

There is clear and obvious crossover between gaming and anime, and it's not limited to Japan either. Halo, Dragon Age, and Mass Effect all have anime adaptations and there's zero reason to think this trend won't continue and grow.

I'm flabbergasted this is even a debate.

ArchAngel
CCGR addict
selderane wrote:I'm flabbergasted this is even a debate.
Lol, yeah, me too.

Look, I'm not denying that Anime has some effect on gaming. But so does Sci-fi and fantasy. All those games you mentioned: not only massively influenced by media of these genres, but they belong to it as well.
Should we make a sci-fi and fantasy forum under Arts and Entertainment? Of course not. It's ludicrous.
It doesn't matter how or what anime has done for gaming.

Have the conversation splintered? The conversation will be "splintered" into several threads regardless of a Anime forum or not.

It's not like you can't talk about Anime, there are forums already perfectly suited for it. I'm not trying to quell anime discussion, but merely point out people are perfectly able to talk about it in our current context. If anything, an anime forum will only pull away discussion from their appropriate forums.
At best, you're arguing why people should be able to talk about anime on this board; that's fine, you can. You have failed to provide a good reason why anime should get it's own forum.
Not only should you show why it's advantageous to the board to break status quo and create yet another forum, but also why it's best to go against the very way the forums have been set up.

Do you need a separate forum to wall away anime from the rest of the drivel? Are you trying to make a subculture sheltered away from the rest of the plebs?
Honestly, this whole thing is coming off as pretty entitled.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

Blue
VIP Member
VIP Member
I don't see how we can't have a sub-forum in the Arts and Entertainment section dedicated to Anime/Manga.

It would be easier for new members to find a place to talk about their favourite series, instead of being worried that they're posting in the wrong section or that there are members that don't like it. The anime thread already has a lot of discussions going on at once.

It can't hurt to try, can it?
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
should we put it up to an old fashioned vote/poll?
Blue
VIP Member
VIP Member
Sounds like a good idea to me
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
poll added. Now vote!
Blue
VIP Member
VIP Member
selderane
Gamer
Gamer
ArchAngel wrote:
selderane wrote:I'm flabbergasted this is even a debate.
At best, you're arguing why people should be able to talk about anime on this board; that's fine, you can. You have failed to provide a good reason why anime should get it's own forum.
Yes I have. They're just not reasons you're willing to accept.
Not only should you show why it's advantageous to the board to break status quo and create yet another forum, but also why it's best to go against the very way the forums have been set up.
I've already shown why it's advantageous. Again, those reasons you're simply unwilling to accept.
Do you need a separate forum to wall away anime from the rest of the drivel? Are you trying to make a subculture sheltered away from the rest of the plebs?
Honestly, this whole thing is coming off as pretty entitled.
And here's where I stop talking to you. The moment you start throwing around pejoratives, start talking down to me, is the moment you tell me the conversation is over.

A poll is up. I'm happy to let the community decide.